Windows 7 Pre-Order

monsnet2k8

Who's buying the pre-order upgrade or who is buying the full version?  Which version are you getting?

I will get Windows 7 Professional.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat185500050009&type=category

* Online only. Reg. prices: Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade $119.99, Windows 7 Professional Upgrade $199.99. Offer runs from June 26, 2009 through July 11, 2009, or while supplies last. Limit of 3 titles per order.

** A TV tuner is required and additional hardware may be needed. Not available in all countries

I have to ask why is that?

I'm not sure, but it has to do with computers with TV Tuners

Watch many of your favorite TV shows for free when and where you want with Internet TV (Internet access required; free Internet TV content varies by geography; some content may require additional fees)

This is what I like so far from what I've read and the video's I've watched.

# Run many existing Windows XP programs seamlessly in Windows 7 (requires download of Windows XP mode and virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC; customers can download both free of charge from www.windows.com/business when available)

There is no way I will ever do the Upgrade thing. That just seems to make windows more unstable. When its released I will go with the full verson probally go with Windows 7 ultimate.  Will get it from new egg and go with the oem or whatever verson. They usually offer it at a fair price.

I am looking forward to this release. Played with the beta, Nice OS. Xp has run its course and I am ready for something new. Think many are ready for something diffrent than XP. Even the Linux Geeks are looking forward to Windows 7.

There is no way I will ever do the Upgrade thing. That just seems to make windows more unstable. When its released I will go with the full verson probally go with Windows 7 ultimate.  Will get it from new egg and go with the oem or whatever verson. They usually offer it at a fair price.

I am looking forward to this release. Played with the beta, Nice OS. Xp has run its course and I am ready for something new. Think many are ready for something diffrent than XP. Even the Linux Geeks are looking forward to Windows 7.

The "upgrade" version will also do a clean install.  So you can still take advantage of the deal.

I put the beta on my macbook pro as a 2nd OS, and it didnt "need" any drivers.  I finally got bootcamp installed (kinda) to get stuff like the webcam to work, and it runs great.

I have been using it exclusively at work to test our network and software with it, and have experienced no issues at all, with the exception of the video card driver, which I updated from ATI, problem solved.  It is a lot faster than Vista, and you'll learn to love the taskbar, which I hated at first.

so in a case like mine, im running an old ibm computer, intel celeron 2.4 ghz processor, 1 gb ram and only onboard graphics, can someone recommend a good but fairly cheap video card that i can get to run windows 7? my pc only has pci slots, not the newer pci express, i tried using the win 7 release candidate and it didnt like my onboard video so everything was way too big, but other than that it seemed like it would run fine on my computer, i just need to upgrade my graphics. so can anyone recommend a decent and fairly cheap vidoe card that is win 7 compatible thats not pci express? i say fairly cheap cuz, well, im a cheapskate, i hate spending lots of money on anything, i know, not always the best way to go, but im not into all the high tech video editing and pc gaming, i just need the basics that get the job done and ive grown tired of xp and will NEVER use vista but really want to switch to win 7 without having to buy a whole new computer. but unfortunately i have only pci slots, i have an agp slot, but for some reason its been disabled by the manufacturer and i dont know how to enable it or if its possible to enable it, so i dont know the reasoning for even putting it on the mother board if its not useable.

but unfortunately i have only pci slots, i have an agp slot, but for some reason its been disabled by the manufacturer and i dont know how to enable it or if its possible to enable it, so i dont know the reasoning for even putting it on the mother board if its not useable.

You should be able to enable AGP in the BIOS. I've got a Trash Compaq and it automatically recognized the AGP card. Now the kids Vista machine, I had to go into the BIOS to enable the PCI Express card.

Computer shops should have used AGP cards for 10 bucks.

man i love how fast i get responses on this site...you guys are fast! so, if i go into my bios, what do i look for to enable the agp slot? im not totally computer illiterate, i just dont do much playing in the bios, and in order to enable it, do i first need something plugged into it or can i just enable it for future use? and if it helps any, im on an ibm thinkcentre, made in 2002 i believe, pushing dinosaur status, but its the only computer ive ever owned that has lasted more than 1 year or so without pooping out on me.

hmm....well look what i just found about some ibm models...

As IBM says:

Some system boards ship with the AGP slot disabled and plugged. These slots have been disabled at the chipset level and do not work. The plugs should not be removed.

mine was one of the plugged ones, so i guess its just not useable. i got some words for them ppl at ibm that i probably cant say here...

hmm....well look what i just found about some ibm models...

As IBM says:

Some system boards ship with the AGP slot disabled and plugged. These slots have been disabled at the chipset level and do not work. The plugs should not be removed.

mine was one of the plugged ones, so i guess its just not useable. i got some words for them ppl at ibm that i probably cant say here...

So a puter might be on the next Xmas shopping list.  :icon_santa:

or just a replacement motherboard for this dinosaur that im on now. one with working agp slots. but if i replace the motherboard, how do i know what socket my processor is? according to my system information, my processor is - x86 family 15 model 2 stepping 9...its an intel celeron 2.4 ghz...dont know if that helps any...

hey, i said it was a dinosaur....haha...but the darn thing has been good to me, it never gives me any crap, and its the only computer ive ever owned that has lasted more than a year without pooping out on me.

and obsolete or not, when youre on a budget like me, not many other options. and i can get motherboards and cases together from michigan state university for 20 bucks, they have this way cool surplus store...i built my mom a decent lil computer for under 80 bucks with parts from there.