What do you recommend for this setup?

Alright well I recently moved my computer upstairs because it's just way too noisy downstairs, and I can't focus on anything I'm doing. The router (WRT54GS) and modem are located downstairs, so to get Internet on this computer now, I purchased the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter to get a connection. It's fine for browsing and downloading and whatnot, but being an avid gamer, I really cannot have the lag and the instability. When I'm playing my Warcraft I can barely play a game without massive delay, or disconnecting from it completely. I can't host games for my buddies anymore either. What do I do?

Do I upgrade to an N router instead of G for a little more range? Run a cable drop through the wall? It would be going a very long distance. Would that mess up the connectivity?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Well call it what you want, but personally I see wireless as a last resort to getting a connection.  If you can get a wire run (and where there's a will there's a way ) then run the wire. If your into gaming like you said, run the wire in the wall, do it right though, put jacks in the wall labeled, and don't just run one, run two, you'll use them.  When I bought this house, there wasn't even cable in the walls, now, everywhere needed, there's cable, and cat6 w/ proper jacks for a good connection. Sure, I still have the wireless solution, but for runs to the other end of the house, there's copper.

Well based on the experience I'm getting out of it, it sure seems that way! So my dad will be doing this for me because he doesn't want me messing up the house. He keeps arguing with me however, that this cable would need to stretch so far I wouldn't get a good connection anyway. This isn't true is it? I mean sure the cable will be going from downstairs to upstairs, and one side of the house to the other, but it's not like my house is very big at all. It'll still be fine right?

Well based on the experience I'm getting out of it, it sure seems that way! So my dad will be doing this for me because he doesn't want me messing up the house. He keeps arguing with me however, that this cable would need to stretch so far I wouldn't get a good connection anyway. This isn't true is it? I mean sure the cable will be going from downstairs to upstairs, and one side of the house to the other, but it's not like my house is very big at all. It'll still be fine right?

The "standard" is 100 meters , or close to 300 feet before you get timeouts and such, are you running more then that ? I'm thinking no.

I have successfully run well over 150 foot myself several times, with no problems at all.  I live in a ranch house, where I ran over a 100 foot run to get the wifes machine in the front , no problems.  Just make sure you look for quality cable, I always go overboard, but I use plenum cat 6 for all my runs.

it'll be fine...shouldnt see noticeable slowdowns...i mean i have a 75 feet long cord running under my house from one end to the other and its still as fast as the 6 foot cable i have on a different computer.  :roll:

Well there's another example :)