is this bad?

sinister666

so i havent actually shut my computer off for over 6 months, it runs constantly, i do periodic restarts, like when an installation insists on restarting my system, but i dont ever shut my computer off, it runs all day and all night, and my media player is constantly going, i listen to music ALL THE TIME, even when i sleep, if there is no music, i get no sleep. so my question is, is this bad for my computer to leave it on constantly? i leave part of the case off to keep it kinda cool, but i dont know if it actually helps anything.

No leaving your computer on all the time is not gonna hurt it. Unless its getting to hot. Which I have my doubts. I have seen many who see how long they can go without rebooting there computer. Think a year is the longest I have seen. If your worried about heat issues give this a shot. Its free and works ok.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

as mentioned, as long as dust is blown off, you should be good. Something I read from some site a while ago is that when it comes to hard drives, leaving it on can actually be better than shutting it down and turning it back on repeatedly during the day. This is because letting it cool completely down and heating it back up causes additional expanding and shrinking.

wow...Wall Walkers! i remember playing with those when i was a kid! those things were awesome, for about ten minutes anyway, till they got all covered in crud...yeah i played with em...im a product of the 80s...

:haha:  :haha: All you have to do is wash them off  :haha: :haha:

:haha:  :haha: All you have to do is wash them off  :haha: :haha:

hey i ws a kid then, i mean a little kid...and they were free in the cereal box, i didnt think that far ahead, if it quit workin, i tossed it aside and found a new toy...usually an empty cardboard box, those were my favorite, id sit in em and scoot around the house...oh wait, ive said too much now... :?

If you don't mind paying for the wasted power usage then leaving it running all the time shouldn't cause any problems.

Considering that an average PC now uses 450 watts or more of power; over the course of a 24 hour period, that adds about $1.30 per day to your power bill.

Wasn't environmental advice; was financial in nature.

And also, wasn't advice; just something to think about.

I used to leave mine on 24 / 7 until I had to buy a 550 watt power supply in order to use the big video card I had bought to play oblivion IV with.

A few minutes with the calculator and I decided it was better for me and my monthly power bill if I shut it down when not in use.

A few pennies here, a few pennies there; and after a years time; that's a lot of beer.

Wasn't environmental advice; was financial in nature.

And also, wasn't advice; just something to think about.

I used to leave mine on 24 / 7 until I had to buy a 550 watt power supply in order to use the big video card I had bought to play oblivion IV with.

A few minutes with the calculator and I decided it was better for me and my monthly power bill if I shut it down when not in use.

A few pennies here, a few pennies there; and after a years time; that's a lot of beer.

:occasion14: