problem with wireless connection

sinister666

i have an issue. my mother has a sierra wireless hdpa usb modem, it wont connect to the internet on her computer, tried un installing and re installing, still nothing. i plugged the wireless modem into my computer and installed all the neccessary software, 3g watcher and stuff, and it works fine on my computer....i really cant figure this out. could it possibly be a virus on her computer thats blocking her from connecting? ive been at this all day, and am getting aggrivated. if anyone has any ideas, i would really like to hear them.

oh this makes me sad...ive been looking all over for an answer...cant seem to find any helpful info...so i am waiting patiently to see if hopefully someone here has any ideas...i even called the wireless internet service provider, no help there...stupid centennial wireless! i am at a loss of ideas now as to why the thing wont connect on her computer, but it will connect on mine... :idiot2:

yeah the usb ports are all working properly. the computer has no problem recognizing the device, it just wont connect to the wireless network. now plug the wireless modem in a different computer, and it works and connects fine. so the problem is that it just wont connect to the wireless network on the one computer. it tries to connect, but it wont.

umm...thats not the issue....sorry, i forgot to mention that this problem just popped up out of nowhere this morning. the wireless modem has always worked with no problems on her computer, and then out of the blue this morning it just wont connect. and i know its not an issue with the wireless device or signal strength, its some kind of issue with her computer. all the settings for the wireless modem carry with the modem, so if you change one setting on it, it moves from pc to pc with the modem so i know there is no problem with the modem, it works in every other computrer it has been plugged into, ive tried it in 2 other pcs in the same house with no problems. my quetstion still remains, is there a virus possibly blocking it from making a connection? one that her comodo internet security is missing?

umm...thats not the issue....sorry, i forgot to mention that this problem just popped up out of nowhere this morning. the wireless modem has always worked with no problems on her computer, and then out of the blue this morning it just wont connect. and i know its not an issue with the wireless device or signal strength, its some kind of issue with her computer. all the settings for the wireless modem carry with the modem, so if you change one setting on it, it moves from pc to pc with the modem so i know there is no problem with the modem, it works in every other computrer it has been plugged into, ive tried it in 2 other pcs in the same house with no problems. my quetstion still remains, is there a virus possibly blocking it from making a connection? one that her comodo internet security is missing?

So have you tried cleaning it in safe mode to see?  :wink:

Is Comodo firewall silently blocking it, due to an update? 

that was one of my thoughts too...im working on getting her internet security switched from comodo to ESET right now and see if that changes anything.  and im moving kinda slow today now, too many side projects poppin up...hopefully ESET may find something that comodo is overlooking, and if not a virus or firewall issue, then im officially out of ideas.

haha..sorry, forgot to give credit where credit was due man...good guess, right on target! didnt mean to take the credit for your answer.

Nah. We is supposed to share the credit for fixing stuff.  :lol: 

But the Net is full of posts where for whatever reason, a firewall just decides to silently block something. I think Norton is a bit famous for that.

yeah i was looking for info like that, but i guess i just wasnt looking hard enough, that and ive come to rely on all the brainiacs that reside here at this oh so friendly site. its nice to be able to post a problem and get responses with possible fixes within a few minutes like how it works here. and to think, i dont even remember how i found this site, but i sure am glad i did find it!  :cool:

i have an issue. my mother has a sierra wireless hdpa usb modem, it wont connect to the internet on her computer, tried un installing and re installing, still nothing. i plugged the wireless modem into my computer and installed all the neccessary software, 3g watcher and stuff, and it works fine on my computer....i really cant figure this out. could it possibly be a virus on her computer thats blocking her from connecting? ive been at this all day, and am getting aggrivated. if anyone has any ideas, i would really like to hear them.

Have you looked in device manager to see if the modem is actually installing? If so what, if any error codes are you getting. If it is installed , is windows wireless program trying to control the wireless router, or could there be a setting in the program you installed that defaults the control to it ?