Can an LCD screen crack without being hit?

MttFrog13

Went to sleep, woke up and went straight to work. When i got back and opened up my laptop, the screen was cracked and a large portion of it is white. I haven't hit it. I asked around online already and i'm hearing that the only thing that can cause a laptop screen to crack is for there to be a large temperature change quickly. My laptop isn't particularly hot and the temperature outside has been consistent recently. Already called customer support and asked about having it repaired and they said it would cost $500. I might try buying a replacement screen of ebay and installing it myself.

But anyway, can a screen crack like this WITHOUT being hit? I appears to be a middle with cracks and lines staggering away so i'm assuming it's a crack.

0731091409.jpg

0731091410.jpg

Man, I'm gonna ask if there's anyone else that has access to it, it sure looks like something either was thrown, or someone had something on the KB area and shut it quick like they though someone was coming. Looking at it, if it had been a SEVERE temp change , it wouldn't be like that,( the way i see it) it might be a straight line or two, that looks like the classic  "something harder then the screen came in fast contact with it" .

Man, I'm gonna ask if there's anyone else that has access to it, it sure looks like something either was thrown, or someone had something on the KB area and shut it quick like they though someone was coming. Looking at it, if it had been a SEVERE temp change , it wouldn't be like that,( the way i see it) it might be a straight line or two, that looks like the classic  "something harder then the screen came in fast contact with it" .

I got to agree with you on that!

I got to agree with you on that!

If I were to take a stab at it ( pun intended ) , I would say someone was pleasuring themselves, and was frightened by someone else walking in, they had something set up there (I don't even wanna know ) maybe a webcam, and slammed the thing shut , so that someone wouldn't see what was on the screen.

Well I'm gonna go ahead and replace the screen myself. This site gave instructions.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-damaged-lcd-screen-dell-vostro-1500-laptop/

And i found a few on eBay. For some reason tho, I can find cheaper WSXGA+ screens that WXGA+ screens. Anyone know about upgrading laptop screen resolution? I have a 256mb nvidia 8600m gt in my laptop.

You can do it man, just watch that little ribbon wire.

So are u saying i should be OK to upgrade to a higher resolution LCD that's made for a dell vostro? I found a WSXGA+ on ebay for $120 or best offer. I'm going to offer $100. I can't find a WXGA+ for cheaper than $130.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250414976491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

So are u saying i should be OK to upgrade to a higher resolution LCD that's made for a dell vostro? I found a WSXGA+ on ebay for $120 or best offer. I'm going to offer $100. I can't find a WXGA+ for cheaper than $130.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250414976491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You should be able to , but I would look to see if the card supports it.

I contacted the guy selling the WSXGA+ and he said a lot of customers returned it after trying to upgrade their resolution. He didn't specify whether they had internal or external video tho. I went ahead and ordered the same resolution i currently have, WXGA+. I hope the installation goes smooth.

I contacted the guy selling the WSXGA+ and he said a lot of customers returned it after trying to upgrade their resolution. He didn't specify whether they had internal or external video tho. I went ahead and ordered the same resolution i currently have, WXGA+. I hope the installation goes smooth.

From my exp w/ opening laptops is there's alot of small parts, and shields that can easily bend , just find yourself a pic on the net from someone that has opened there's, it works best. If you can't find one, ten when you do yours take pics from the beginning, we can put them in the guide section .

Got my screen in today and installed it. It works perfectly! Honestly i think less of dell for laughing at me when i said i honestly didn't kno how my screen cracked and asking $500 for it to be replaced and another $200 for an additional one year of warranty. I got my screen off ebay for $130. They said that it was guaranteed to work on my dell vostro 1500 and to be brand new with guaranteed with no dead pixels. I was worried it would be a generic replacement, but it turned out to be the same exact model screen as the one i'm replacing.

• 4 years later...
  • CA3LE locked this topic