Personal Antivirus trojan

starship_troopers

so i have a computer that a popup was clicked on and now there is a folder in the C:/program files folder called personal antivirus, which keeps popping up in my real antivirus program. its a trojan as i've researched it on the web with no luck as to getting rid of it...any ideas?

perhaps i should give killbox a go?

ok little more info here.

it is in the C:/program files folder, and doesnt show up in add/remove programs, wont get detected by any scans i do except one, and when i try to delete it it says it cant be deleted...and i tried to go into the folder myself and hit the untinstall button but it brings an error up. then tried deleting the whole damn folder....doesnt work either...even when i go into task manager and end all processes to due with this thing. :shock:

ok coknuck and zal, i got it, special thanks for the links and then again to coknuck because he sparked my interest into getting malwarebytes working right. i had to for some reason uninstall and reinstall it and reboot, then scan again and it found and deleted everything. Thanks guys.

just as a warning, those IQ tests on facebook...dont click them....thats how this got started.

ok coknuck and zal, i got it, special thanks for the links and then again to coknuck because he sparked my interest into getting malwarebytes working right. i had to for some reason uninstall and reinstall it and reboot, then scan again and it found and deleted everything. Thanks guys.

just as a warning, those IQ tests on facebook...dont click them....thats how this got started.

I guess it really does show the IQ after all.  :2funny::wink:

i remember getting a email from a ton of different people a few months ago saying the system32  folder was a virus and to delete it...guess how many people i talked to had to reformat their pc's because the email came with an attachment for boot and nuke.... :2funny: :2funny:

Exactly.......hell I reformatted twice in 2 days recently....now I am fine after getting rid of Firefox and using a different Firewall.......Comodo......and yes, I got one virus once by clicking on a PC defender popup to download.....stupid me, live and learn and thank god for a chance to wipe the hardrive clean and start fresh.  :haha:

Exactly.......hell I reformatted twice in 2 days recently....now I am fine after getting rid of Firefox and using a different Firewall.......Comodo......and yes, I got one virus once by clicking on a PC defender popup to download.....stupid me, live and learn and thank god for a chance to wipe the hardrive clean and start fresh.  :haha:

Kind of gives you a new lease on life. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

the system32 folder is a virus.....thats classic....i remember seeing that somewhere else, and i remember very well how many ppl fell for it....glad i knew better. sick thing to do to ppl, but i must admit, if they fell for it, it was slightly amusing, in a sick kinda way.

Not necessarily, "system32 " is NOT a virus, it contains critical system data, and should not be messed with if you don't know what your doing, ... at the same time, someone that knows how to inject code into different files, can and does put nasties in different places....

Now, "system32.exe " can, and most the time is a virus of some kind. There's a big difference between and executable program, and system file.

Here > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+system32+and+system32.exe+virus+or+not

oh i knew the system32 folder wasnt a virus...was just saying i remember seeing somewhere on another forum that ppl were telling others it was and to delete it, just to be smart asses, alot of ppl fell for it and got real upset that they fell for it and had to reformat. like i said, im glad i knew better. some ppl are sick and thats how they get entertainment, trick others into screwing their systems up....