Websites that report what text you highlight.

Shug7272

So I read on another site that www.esquire.com would spy on you and report back any text that you highlight on their pages. If you want to check this out for yourself install Firebug for Firefox and go to Esquire. Highlight some text and check it out. What do you guys think of this? Kinda creepy to me.

Link

Well reporting back is better than when you highlight something and the big "COPYRIGHT PERMISSION  NEEDED" comes up.

But if I can't copy, I just go to the back ground to copy it.  :lol:  Just have to remove some code marks. And then print it.

But I also credit the source if needed for larger articles, when it goes into a forum post.

I think this text highlight spying has been going on for a few years also.

I had to check this out a little more then I thought. Listen, about 4-5 months ago, i started getting that magazine ! Although I get enormous amounts of mail, sometimes so much that they have to drive it up to the house (i should explain that, I live 1/2 mile off the road, my drive is pretty damn long ) anyhow, I have a lot of packages, and were into quite a bit around here, but i don't get any magazines, I read all I want here and in my bills lol. The mag is in my name, addressed to me, now Iv'e had others sent to me trying to get me to sell there products, but rarely as a ritual like this one. So I wonder if at some point in time, I came across an article that was linked to thm, and they subscribed me. Oh yea, Like the others, I have never received a bill.  :/

I had to check this out a little more then I thought. Listen, about 4-5 months ago, i started getting that magazine ! Although I get enormous amounts of mail, sometimes so much that they have to drive it up to the house (i should explain that, I live 1/2 mile off the road, my drive is pretty damn long ) anyhow, I have a lot of packages, and were into quite a bit around here, but i don't get any magazines, I read all I want here and in my bills lol. The mag is in my name, addressed to me, now Iv'e had others sent to me trying to get me to sell there products, but rarely as a ritual like this one. So I wonder if at some point in time, I came across an article that was linked to thm, and they subscribed me. Oh yea, Like the others, I have never received a bill.  :/

That would of meant that they accessed your system and got an address and name For snail mail magazine. Doubtful.

But my wife opened a single chair hair salon a year ago and I see for this weeks mail(she's not home to ask) that there are two magazines addressed to 'Reception' and then the business name and business street address(No door to door delivery here. It's all P.O. boxes). I doubt she subscribed to them(she didn't tell me at least).   There are enough free magazines around in book exchanges.

So what I think, is that the magazines to drum up business, are sending out copies for the waiting areas for free. Since clients can read and maybe purchase their own. The occasional place might get you stuck on the permanent list. My kid still gets a once subscribed Lego magazine that should of expired two or three years ago. Not that they have his name spelled right, but free is free.

If you ever look for business information on the web, there are these Internet webpage scumbags who will act like the business bought space and have all sorts of old information. And for a small fee, they will sell even more crappy information to various spammers who try to contact via phone or Fax.

That would of meant that they accessed your system and got an address and name For snail mail magazine. Doubtful.

Well that may be true, but as we do more on the net, it gets more difficult to keep anonymity.  There's actually none to begin with . If you sign up for the internet, and have an email, then that information is in a server, ready for the taking. There's just too many ways for some one to get that info then i care to even begin to go into. Everyones personal information is on the net in more ways then even thinkable. Most all info from holding a mortgage is public , all criminal records are public, and free, phone numbers, even those on the so called no call list are public, in fact, that list is public.

Considering that the ISP logs each IP visited by each IP,  Each machine hold a MAC addy forming the machine specific ID, it follows the machine until the machine is destroyed, the browser reports to the server more information then most people would imagine, those of you with server admin experience, are well aware of this, each website also gathers, and logs each browser, and system information of each IP visit.  Therefore,  it's not very difficult to get a name, and a physical addy from a server log, in fact, it's a little bit like opening that old thing called the phone book, but much more personal information is in there.

Well I know more about a Relation, due to the Internet and some stupid national church news item.  But I aint going to tell her that I know she wanted to commit suicide due to a major health concern.  But her doc was a quack anyways, so no more large intestine. You don't need to lose a massive amount of weight before an operation, such as she urgently needed.

The story was almost like reading some psychiatrists notes. With an Epiphany at the end of the story.

Nothing but a tool of the church to find and collect lost sheeple.

Cops in Canada want instant access to our IP, email address and names for Internet use, without a warrant.

Is that legal? Hell No!  Violates the Constitution instantly. I could easily document and distribute where every cop lives in an area, but somehow thats not quite kosher with the police. Double standards abound.

All this information just in case we might do something wrong.  Oh, and the ISP may be ordered to store All our Electronic data.

One day all surfing may need to be done encrypted, just to slow down the police from looking at our data streams.

Re reading what the original thread was about , looks like my post was sidetracking the theme. The way I see this highlighting issue is there are so many people that feel information is not to be shared freely, and then you have the information blocks, some ccll it censorship, others call it copy write, blah blah.

There are a few business out there that integrate within the code contained within the code .vbs, html, whatever, that stops the user from even highlighting the text on the said page. So it appears that this is something to log users who regularly do this, for whatever reasons they feel they need to come up with to stop this.

Now there are some legit reason, because I have seen as the rest of us surely have, where someone creates something, like a stor, or something that should be given exclusive rights to the "owner " , and someone steals it, and tries to pass it off as there own. Then you have the issue that so many people now are creating a site, simply to make profit off of, anf they feel as if that information is seen somewhere else, it's taking money from them.

So you have to have firefox for it to work?  :whaa::huh:

No it does it to everyone who highlights anything on their web pages. It records info about you and what you highlighted. Firebug is an add on that will show you if  a website is spying on you, it has alot of neat info. Its just for dorks. That is the only way you can check it out for yourself... Well that I know of.