Speed tests with Anikast.net-Xplornet

lawriesak

Why is it that speed tests with Anikast are always 2 to 3 times faster then speed tests with testmy.net or toast or speedtest ,net ?

I usually check when my connection really slows down and it seems to do that starting at about 8:00 am and gets progressively worse until at least midnight.

eg Anikast would show 400 kbs yet testmy,net would show less then 100kbs ,At less then 100kps, streaming radio is pretty poor.

Its as if communicating with Anikast has nothing to do with the real world and the problem is that Xplornet only accepts these tests as any indication of their performance. I believe that talking to a satellite controlled by Xplornet does not prove too much. It would be nice to get an explanation of this since Xplornet won't.

Thanks

LMS

Why is it that speed tests with Anikast are always 2 to 3 times faster then speed tests with testmy.net or toast or speedtest ,net ?

I usually check when my connection really slows down and it seems to do that starting at about 8:00 am and gets progressively worse until at least midnight.

eg Anikast would show 400 kbs yet testmy,net would show less then 100kbs ,At less then 100kps, streaming radio is pretty poor.

Its as if communicating with Anikast has nothing to do with the real world and the problem is that Xplornet only accepts these tests as any indication of their performance. I believe that talking to a satellite controlled by Xplornet does not prove too much. It would be nice to get an explanation of this since Xplornet won't.

Thanks

LMS

Cause the Anikast speedtest is on the NOC(network operation center). Meaning it only tests the connection between you and the NOC.

So a speedtest to here or another Internet based test will show slow(when you notice browsing is slow) and it will show fast on the Anikast test.. Same thing goes for the Hughesnet test.

And Telesat owns the satellite and Xplornet is just the re-seller of the satellite use.

It would seem that users purchased a connection to the Internet and not just the NOC. Wouldn't you think?

The other part of my query was the slow down experienced during starting in the morning. Is this Xplornet slowing me down or is it due to too much traffic on the internet?

You are right: I pay for connection to the Internet and not just to the satellite. But what can be done? To cancel does not make sense since there is no other service available in my area.

Thanks for the help

LMS

If you are using a  Telesat KA unit(which is what the Anikast site tests), on the satellite AnikF2(or even the F3, Second set of beams for south Ontario, South Quebec),  a slow down can be due to an oversold beam and more business type users in your spotbeam.

If a person is on a KU unit, which is Hughesnet, this type of slowdown is common, due to commercial users having priority over home users.  A comparison in the States, is when there is a big lottery jackpot on PowerBall lottery. The afternoon can be real slow for Internet, leading up to the cutoff for sales. Due to satellite connected lottery terminals.

I am on DSL and the sites I surf only show slowdowns when many,many users try to get to the same site at once(when linked from a larger compilation of news site).

So if the satellite NOC, does not have enough bandwidth to the Internet, you can also experience slowdowns. Whether that be by hardware upgrades needed at the NOC or more fiber optic lines needed to connect to the Internet.

Anik F2 Beams that are full are beam 6 , 19 , 28 . And if any others, I do not know. So next satellite in 2011 at some point.

Click on pic to enlarge.