pc at shop, what do you think

i found a pc in a shop nearby that a buddy of mine works at, specs are as follows

amd athlon 64x2 5600+ 2.8ghz

2gb ram

geforce 7950gt 512mb

120gb harddrive sata 3bb/s

dvd reader drive and a dvd writer drive

biostar motherboard...i think the model is tforce 550

500watt power supply

fresh install of xp pro with service pack 3...comes with cd and everything, all driver disks and all.

they want 975 for it...is this a fair deal? or what would be a fair deal for this? i dont want to get ripped off. lol

well at least you don't have to sit and watch paint dry for a few hours(XP Install + Updates). I would prolly put a bigger HDD in it. Or if I really wanted to I would turn that into a Media PC and put all my Videos and Music on it. But you don't need that much power to do that.

Heh Ill just stick with this then

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php

That PS is actually really good ryan, I have several hipro's there what I put on all system, mine, or sold. Not only are they efficient, most of them have modular wires, there nice. Another thing, Iv'e not had any complaints, nor have I ever replaced one for any type of failure.

thats what i was thinking mudman, but i dont want to get too convinced over anything before its in my hands doing what i want lol.

honestly i have used a hipro power supply before, it only cost about 30 bucks and it worked for 2 years so far and its still going strong with about 20 hour a day usage.  :grin2: :grin2:

i just dont want to get ripped off or have anyone thinking i ripped them off lol.

thats what i was thinking mudman, but i dont want to get too convinced over anything before its in my hands doing what i want lol.

honestly i have used a hipro power supply before, it only cost about 30 bucks and it worked for 2 years so far and its still going strong with about 20 hour a day usage.  :grin2: :grin2:

i just dont want to get ripped off or have anyone thinking i ripped them off lol.

i don't blame you at all !    Here's a few results from the PS on newegg, not that thats the whole system, but thats a gret place to check out other peoples thoughts on any given device :) This might not be the same one, it actually looks like one of there lower end ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817174026

The video card.......... http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814143071 

Motherboard........http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138026

XP Pro  ..........http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368                 

Proc ..............http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103771

i found a pc in a shop nearby that a buddy of mine works at, specs are as follows

amd athlon 64x2 5600+ 2.8GHz

2GB ram

geforce 7950gt 512mb

120GB harddrive sata 3bb/s

dvd reader drive and a dvd writer drive

biostar motherboard...i think the model is tforce 550

500watt power supply

fresh install of xp pro with service pack 3...comes with cd and everything, all driver disks and all.

they want 975 for it...is this a fair deal? or what would be a fair deal for this? i dont want to get ripped off. lol

Ryan...wow...I'm sorry to say you're getting bent over if you lay down $1000 on this one.  You'll be sorry.  I spent 10 minutes on NewEgg and threw together the following:

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis

Seventeam ST-650ZAF 650W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

And all of this is less than $890.  PLEASE NOTE: This was just a very random pull of compatible parts, some "Bundle Deals", and although I'm not recommending some of these pieces, this "example" system would work and KICK ASS over what your "buddy" is selling you.

Sorry, but I just don't like to see anyone being taken advantage of...

There are so many "Budget PC" or "$800 Gamer PC" articles out there, check the major tech sites before you go any further. 

Naturally, this is assuming that you are going to build the PC yourself.  It's a breeze, take your time, and you'll save $$$.

Best of luck!

Same here, as I've been building PC's for over two decades and love every minute of it.  It's all about what you want out of it.  Is it for business, gaming, browsing & email, or even a Home Theater PC?  Each has specific parts meant for it...i.e. you wouldn't necessarily SLI or Crossfire a couple of video boards for a business system, but if you want a great Gamer PC...

And it's all about budget, bargains, etc.  Watch Dealnews.com if you have time and patience, as I nabbed a couple of 1.5TB drives from Dell for 200 and free shipping about 2 months ago.  Their working great in my little ReadyNAS box, which is what I needed them for.  Two weeks ago I picked up an Intel Quad-Core Q9550 for my desktop system for $169 from MicroCenter, but you have to pick it up.  For some strange reason, they currently have the absolute lowest prices on Intel proc's, to include the i7-920 for $199.  It's all about keeping your eye out for a great bargain when it arrives.

Yep, putting your own stuff together is the best.  Again, the best of luck in whatever you choose.

Cocknuck beat me too it, as I was coming to place the same URL here for Ryan after getting that ad this morning.  Very nice configuration Ryan! 

definately. thats a very nice deal, except my debit card isnt here yet its in the mail..and they dont take starter checks im sure. thats why i went to the shop :P  but im bookmarking that desktop, very very nice....

just for fun check out the laptop im getting soon, i hope.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115592

never noticed...good point. it would be interesting if we can post some links and see some info on those drives.

Thats another thing, dude, if your gonna do a gaming rig, for pete sakes set up a raid 0, unless you want to go riad 5 , but thats costly, and just keep a backup on an external because in raid 0 , you lose it all. Anyhow thats what i did, and I never really worry that damn much about an HDD shittin itself , if it does, then so what, use your backup. .  :haha:

yeah i got norton ghost 8 or whatever the program is. i cant remember exactly at the moment, but i make backups on a external drive and on dvd's never again am i going to have to reformat completely and lose everything because i feel like a know it all and crash the system playing around with it.  :lol:

yeah i got norton ghost 8 or whatever the program is. i cant remember exactly at the moment, but i make backups on a external drive and on dvd's never again am i going to have to reformat completely and lose everything because i feel like a know it all and crash the system playing around with it.  :lol:

Right on :)  On that note ( I'm draggin it off again lol ) but does ghost have a way to recover crapped up file structures as if I were using a specific prog to recover data from an HDD that was corrupted to the point of useless ? Iv'e never used it, and I am looking for a multi purpose prog for such thing. I know you've used it for a while no ?