HughesNet hits an all time low or should I say slow, at my house

guitarjim

Speeds the other day were as low as 37Kbps during peak hours. I mean come on! These are non- fapped speeds. When I call tech support, of course they say there is something wrong with my equipment, yet just after midnight the download speeds are an acceptable 1.4Mbps. Somehow my equipment repaired itself. Do you think HughesNet will want to charge me for the repairs?

guitarjim

hughesnet-internet.com

Do you think HughesNet will want to charge me for the repairs?

guitarjim

hughesnet-internet.com

From reading many posts in various places on "Repairs". I see it as part of a scam to give installers money for when beams have filled up with users and no new installs are taking place(mainly a WildBlue happening). But also to help move KU band people over to the new Hughesnet Spaceway3 and the KA band units.

Some are managing to get free upgrades to the Spaceway3. Well, those that shout louder than the rest of the people who go to the library to surf instead, cause their system sucks total crap at certain times.

But I have also read many posts, where the users satellite system dies. The user calls in about the death. Then support 'suggests' the user have a service man come out for $100 minimum to 'fix' the problem. If customer says 'no' to support? The users satellite system magically comes back to life within the hour.  Coincidence?

Note that the $100 is just for coming out to 'diagnose' the problem. And parts($300?) are extra.

Occasionally people will call in too cancel, due to the system not working. User gets moved to 'loyalty and retention'(executive care at Hughesnet). User says system don't work and wants to cancel. Retention pulls the same thing of sending out a service man. Customer says no, but gets the offer of one free month(For a dead system!!!!). So user continues on, but modem/dish also magically comes back to life.

One other problem that can happen in the summer, is with an overheated TRIA(electronics on the dish). But generally happens during the sun phase on the dish and can be diagnosed by spraying cold water on the dish electronics. As long as it has not leaked overtime, due to faulty manufacturing and is the cause of problems.  I think WildBlues is on a third generation TRIA, due to manufacturing defects allowing water into the TRIA. And they still refuse to give their customers a free repair.

What a TRIA looks like inside.

http://oceanfalls.org/misc/trias/trias.html

And then there are those KU band satellites that have electrical issues, so some transponders are dead, and more people have to share whats left on the satellite. Corporate America first and then home users last.

Unfortunately that's typical of HughesNet for just about every customer. You'll just have to live with it unless there are any other alternatives for you.

Unfortunately I do live with it, but I shouldn't have to. If this is a problem with HughesNets equipment, such as old satellites that can't handle the bandwidth anymore, why should I live with it. If HughesNet was a reputable company they would fix the problem at their cost instead of telling customers there is something wrong with your equipment and we must send a technician to your house at a base cost of $125.00. I've been reading a lot of stuff about new satellites and HN9000 modems that improve the service. I don't know if this information is correct but, if HughesNet were reputable they would inform their current customers and offer to send out a tech to replace/fix the problem at no charge. After all I have paid them $959.88 per year for the past 3.5 years and will continue to pay them if they fix the problem. It's the customers acceptance of substandard service that allows corporations to get away with this crap. Well I'm not one of those customers.

guitarjim

hugesnet-internet.com

Man I feel so lucky. I have had very good luck with my HughesNet system. I am on Horizons1 1410. I have had to get changed before. However for the last few years I have been good to go. Wireless is slowly, very slowly, coming to my area. If it ever gets here I will be changing. I pay $79.99 now per month. Wireless will only be $59.99. The speeds will not be that much slower.

Residential Basic Service:

Up to 3Mbps/256kbps

http://www.delmarvawifi.com/index.html

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2046 Kbps about 2 Mbps (tested with 6152 kB)

Download Speed is:: 250 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/08/23 - 1:11pm

Bottom Line:: 36X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.1 sec

Tested from a 6152 kB file and took 24.629 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 108.99 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AX1S24M3D

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

:cool: I needed high speed and only thing I could get was sattelite. Company I called suggested the new spaceway 3 (hn 9000 modem) launched within a couple of weeks at time I applied for service--a few hicups due to moving noc from Germantown to Winnipeg.Once that was done--smooth sailing, no problems--only my own equipment. On pro package and always have speeds of 2050kps and 350 kps up --winter and summer and bad weather.

Was on a free trial of new Elite package--speeds were around 5500 to 7000 kps and 550 kps up--too expensive to purchase though---300.00 per month.

How do you find out what satellite you are on?

guitarjim

hugesnet-internet.com

For the KU units. Or KA's as well

2. In your browser enter "http://192.168.0.1" (without the quotes) as the URL. This should open the interface. Click on the "System Information" button. You will find the satellite longitude and frequency on that page.  

For the KU units. Or KA's as well

2. In your browser enter "http://192.168.0.1" (without the quotes) as the URL. This should open the interface. Click on the "System Information" button. You will find the satellite longitude and frequency on that page.  

That part I know. I should have been more clear with my question. How do you know it's KU or KA and the name of the satellite like Spaceway3. Where did you learn that information.

guitarjim

hughesnet-internet.com

Basically, that's it.  Live with the level of the service they provide or cancel it.

I chose not to deal with, and have cancelled two accounts (actually Executive Customer Care cancelled them.....they didn't want to hear me complain anymore).

You can document speed tests all you want, but in the end Tech Support is going to tell you "SPEEDS AREN'T GUARANTEED" (and so will the tech Caren in Corporate Customer Care.).

If you dont want to deal with Hughes, Document a few lousy speed tests, a few lousy web reponse tests (from their servers), a few documented emails to tech support, and a few "live" phone calls.  Document the responses.    Then. Write the Better business Bureau of Maryland . . Document everything to them......  You'll get a call from Executive Customer Care . . . William, Carmella, Alexis, Caren . . .

They'll give you free months to get you to stay, but if you're like me, it was "This ends...now".......Make sure you have your billing on a credit card, **NOT** connected to your bank account . . . Dispute amounts you feel you didn't receive the quality of service you paid for.

(I disputed my install because it wasn't done right, and I didn't keep the service).  The bank is obviously tired of dealing with Hughes.

[email protected]        is the email address (but dont bother writing it until you've did all of the above).

GOOD LUCK!  I am using wireless now and couldn't be happier!

Unfortunately I do live with it, but I shouldn't have to. If this is a problem with HughesNets equipment, such as old satellites that can't handle the bandwidth anymore, why should I live with it. If HughesNet was a reputable company they would fix the problem at their cost instead of telling customers there is something wrong with your equipment and we must send a technician to your house at a base cost of $125.00. I've been reading a lot of stuff about new satellites and HN9000 modems that improve the service. I don't know if this information is correct but, if HughesNet were reputable they would inform their current customers and offer to send out a tech to replace/fix the problem at no charge. After all I have paid them $959.88 per year for the past 3.5 years and will continue to pay them if they fix the problem. It's the customers acceptance of substandard service that allows corporations to get away with this crap. Well I'm not one of those customers.

guitarjim

hugesnet-internet.com

How do you know it's KU or KA and the name of the satellite like Spaceway3. Where did you learn that information.

guitarjim

hughesnet-internet.com

That part people only know by the HN9000 modem(The Spaceway 3 is also owned by hughesnet). KU's are HN7000 units, And the leftover DW units, which Hughesnet really will put the shaft too one day when the gateways software are fully upgraded to only deal with HN units. And as from what I've read, is that the HN units software can fit more customers through the gateway.

But most all people know about their service, is that the dish thing is on the side of the house or roof and has some wires that run into the house, through a massive hole, and connect to a modem thingy that they plug their computer or router into. And that call support keeps nagging them that it's the users computer to blame for any slowness. Which kind of violates the 'right of innocence' ya know.

Heres some satellite location links.

http://www.tracksat.com/satellite76.html  (I did not link to the front page as there is an auto playing video(Bandwidth use)).

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/america.html

There are some satellite forums(which I can't remember the address right now) where they are total Satellite geeks. They now all about bad satellites and if one has been replaced as well.

guitarjim

hugesnet-internet.com

I feel your pain and agree with you 100%. I thought the same thing for the few years I was on it. Customers are paying an arm and a leg and should get what they're paying for with the Hughesnet service.