Is everything dead? Please help !(mobo,cpu ...)

Guest nymphu

Guest nymphu

Well..first of all i was building a new pc:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.10 GHz skt AM3 box

Mobo:Asus M4A78T-E

RAM: Corsair 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DHX Dual Channel Kit

HDD: Hard disk Samsung 320GB SATA-II 7200RPM 16MB NCQ SpinPoint F1 Series

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-550VX

Case: Aplus Monolize II

Case fan: AKASA AK-274CB-4BLS

Sony DVD WR

To cut it off quickly i'll say exactly how i managed shortcircuit my mobo. After installing the cpu on the mother board..then hdd,psu, case fans and dvd on  the case, i wanted to install my motherboard into the case. Sice it was my first time building a pc, i didn't knew i needed metal screw standoffs. My case didn't have a manual :| .

So, I thought this mobo doesn't need any standoffs -omg i'm so idiot (my old pc had some other kind of metal standoffs that looked like a hump and that were inserted into little holes in the case) ... i just used only 4 screws to get the mobo intact on the case...(how idiot i am !!!!). After powering it on the case fan led powered up one second and than the system turned off..no boot screen no beeps no nothing! then i smelled something weird ..i thought it was the case fan so i removed all peripherials and turnd it again with no effect...only the cpu cooler moving very slowly ...so the psu fan ..so i turned it off again ... and then checked it again and did another last try...to sum up: 3 desperate tries to resuscitate my dearest mobo..

Well this was it :(( my new pc is dead within a second

I packed the system and i m waiting for an expert to come tommorrow to measure the voltages...but meanwhile i want to know what should i expect...

After inspecting the mobo i saw a small circuit with another color than others...so i think that got fried...i know there is no hope for this mobo ..it's toasted

But i want to know at least if anything else did get fried in this process: did the cpu suffered (i believe so :( ) ? are RAM, case fans, hdd, dvd and psu alright ?

Is there anyhope so i can't get a new mobo from the guarantee certificate? ( i want to put the screw standoffs like they should be before going with the system to the dealer..i want to make it look alright and convince them the mobo had a fault :P )

Any suggests/recommends/advices are wellcome..and sice i'm an idiot everyone should know ...so u can even swear me if u think this will repair my mobo :-".. ok i'm being sarcastic ... I REALLY NEED HELP .. thanks guys

Well first off, don't be so hard on yourself !  In the whole scheme of things , (and I say this begrudgingly ) it's just a motherboard , omg did I just say that ?  :haha:

But seriously, that is the first thing that is done when you start your project. Remember that bag that had all that "extra"  "stuff"  in it ?  O know, you know now lol, some people even put those little composite washers on, but the mounts are the grounds, so thats always been up for debate,  (to isolate or not to isolate ) .

Chances are nothing is fried other then the board itself, Iv'e grounded one out myself when I was new, not that way lol, <said that to make you fel better lol  , I actually had the system running, yes, i installed the standoffs, but I installed another HDD while it was powered up, another not really thinking moment of mine, when I pushed the cable end in , the board flexed just enough to make contact with the case  :haha: :haha:  So don't feel bad.

Anyhow, I think you'll find that since in the most likelihood that since the CPU never really got the juic it needed (it's REALLY hard to fry a CPU !!! )    and the memory well , as long as that is not what made contact fitrst, which I doubt that would do t anyhow, your good, and Im almost certain there's no way that the HDD had any issues. But then again, it could all be fried  :haha: :haha:  I'm kidding  :haha: :haha:

Out of curiosity, the  "expert" ? please  tell me this is someone that you know.......................

Guest nymphu

Thanks for the optimism... i trully hope that only my mobo is fried.. i can get another one with a discount and this will be pretty cheap. But since i'm some sort of "out of money" this should be the only one fried...coz i don't have enough money to buy a new cpu...or anything else...i invested a lot in this pc.

The expert that will come tomorrow is a friend of my dad...a guy that handles all the pc's in his enterprise ...he also has a pc store..and he assembled dozens of pcs in his life and he knows how to isolate a problem with some voltage tools he has

(he did isolate a cpu problem on my old pc which i have it since 2000 and it's still alive...when everyone said the mobo is fried...i just got another cpu and everything was good to go)

Good that you know and trust the tech , it really bothers me that there are so many out there that when called on something like your situation, they take advantage of it, it's easy to just say "yep, it's all fried, I'll dispose of that for a small fee" , Iv'e heard it too many times.

Either way welcome to testmy.net, everyone here has something to share, so now you do as well, I'm certain you'll find that you can get the answers that you'll need, as well as the other way around. There's alot here, much more then you see on a first glance, once you start diggin in all those topics.

When your guy gets done, by all means post everything you can about what went on so you can look back at a later date and call on it :) Besides, you wont believe just how many people your helping out already by simply posting the part about making sure to install the standoffs ! People search that stuff every day .

Guest nymphu

**** you're right...i read lots of manuals and i thought i was a geek now...but the practice seemed not to coincide with the theory. I was 99% sure i needed standoffs...but that 1% guided me to the failure thinking nothing can go wrong if i just place the mobo directly to the chasis...i not even took the time to check the internet, i was so excited of my brand new sys.. i thought mobo's evolved and they are isolated on the backside to prevent shorts. But it seems they work the same way they used to do 10 years ago...same atx factor ...same issues..

Thanks for the replies ..i feel 1% better :P

:haha: well that 1% is better then no %  :haha:

I was referring to those red fiber washers that come with the motherboard, some people feel they need to put them in certain places between the standoffs and the motherboard, this way the ground doesn't go to the case, but back through the power supply, then into the main ground, in this case they will use those plastic clips that you just push the MB down onto, and fasten just a couple screws with washers and pushpins or something , I dunno, maybe there right, but still afik, the board needs to be grounded to the chassis or case.

But let us know what comes of the components.