Check This out !

jharr1971

I was looking around the other night and stumbled on this site. I knew before i tested that my connection speed was bad but had know idea that it was only 2 times better than dialup. I have been paying for this trash for over a year . My provider is frontiernet and i pay for ...up to 10Mbps. I guess thats where they get you . I have avg and have scanned in safe mode with restore off and no problems found. Is this normal for frontier? Is there anything that can be done to help this? I have been on the phone with these people and they have sent out their techs and found no problems. Btw this happens to be the only service available in my area. I have cablenut and downloaded vanburens programs but i have no idea which one to use. If someone could help me with this i would really appreciate it.      Your connection is: 142 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps

You downloaded at: 17 kB/s

You are running: 2 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 60.24 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:jharr1971 CompID:682844262745

Test Time:: 2009/09/08 - 5:57pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.43 Safari/530.5

Test ID: 8EQY4I6UW (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 7.41 % of your hosts average (frontiernet.net)

This was tested from a 512 kB file and took 29.586 seconds to complete                                                                 

In sure do hate it when people just except that' Up To' bull shiat of an excuse. The service better be within 80% to 90% of the top quoted number for the package.  :tickedoff::smiley6600: Unless they do the 1.5Mbps to 6Mbps DSL rating, meaning that depending on location for those speeds.

So have you unplugged all other phone line devices and then done a speed test?

Have you plugged the DSL modem in to a different phone outlet?

If possible, can you plug directly into the Demarcation point. The outside box, if you know how to get into it and it has a phone plug connection that you open up to disable the entire house, just leaving that plug live. This is too check for a bad wire in the house that can cause trouble, such as a short.

If you are on the edge of DSL. You are screwed. But consider yourself lucky that you don't get disconnects.  But the phone guys can remove some bridge taps, etc. on your line in the street, to make it shorter in some cases.

And the easy one. You don't plug a DSL modem into filter. You plug into the phone outlet itself. filters are for phones, so there is no interference on the DSL.

I moved here about a year ago and had been with frontier at my previous residents. I don't know what is different now as I'm paying for the same package but, it became obvious that something was amiss when it would take 15 minutes to download a 3 minute youtube video. I have tried everything that i can think of including having them run a separate line in from the box strictly for my computer. We don't even use a land line phone in our house, only our cell phones. Our satelite uses a phone line but i have it unplugged most of the time b/c i thought that it may be the problem although it doesn't really change anything with it unplugged. I have tried 3 of their speedstream  gateways with the best results being the one i have on there now. It is a 6520. I will try moving the filter b/c it is in the wrong place and post my results after. thanks for your help

Your connection is: 134 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps

You downloaded at: 16 kB/s

You are running: 2 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 64 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:jharr1971 CompID

Test Time:: 2009/09/08 - 9:01pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.43 Safari/530.5

Test ID: 8RMVKAZQ5 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 6.99 % of your hosts average (frontiernet.net)

This was tested from a 507 kB file and took 30.914 seconds to complete

I have had 3 different computers on it this weekend all with the same results. The only other thing that runs on this is my playstation and its wireless but i rarely use it . I come straight out of the wall with the line that came with the speedstream into the speedstream 6520 and out of it into the computer via an ethernet cable

Does your ISP offer a 'Modem only' unit. Usually they are given to business customers who have their own routers.

I have a Thomson Speedtouch modem for my DSL from Telus and it's great. Since the original combo unit of the Siemens Gigaset died, due to firmware issues. The Thomson is good to at least 15Mbps speeds.

I am going to guess the combo unit you have(speedstream 6520) is not able to sync on your line and falls back to a stable sync speed. Your speeds stay in two general areas in your speed tests, which leads me to that.  I don't like these combo units, but they are used so call support does not have to deal with a customers own router unit.

I have not used your model, but there should be an interface in the modem to see what speed the line is syncing at in it's log file and if it is falling back to a slower sync(speed). Reboot to get a fresh log file.

This after reboot    Your connection is: 352 Kbps or 0.4 Mbps

You downloaded at: 43 kB/s

You are running: 6 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 23.81 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:jharr1971 CompID:682844262745

Test Time:: 2009/09/09 - 6:47am

Test ID: H9N1JW82G (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 18.37 % of your hosts average (frontiernet.net)

This was tested from a 507 kB file and took 11.804 seconds to complete       

• 1 year later...

Sounds to me you might be too far out in the DSL loop, when they come out do they test your line for signal and noise?

This might be the case you may want to look into but was getting issues with speed and a tech came out and disconnected all the other phone lines in the house, he informed me my modem was working at 100% due to the noise my extra unused wiring was picking up! acting like an antenna as such.

I recently rewired my house as I do not have a land-line only Dry Loop DSL and hooked my Vonage up to feedback onto a separate line for the phones. Now I get my advertised speeds or within 90% of it most times.

We just got bought out by Frontier and I am still running on Verizon equipment until the change out. Have them come out and test everything, there is no way that guy can leave your house and say that speed is ok!

Want some action real quick? contact your local BBB, watch them get it fixed then.