which laptop would you buy, and why

starship_troopers

which laptop would you get, and what are the pros/cons?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. which laptop would you get, and what are the pros/cons?

• Acer Aspire AS5739G-6132
    • HP Pavilion dv6-1268nr
    • TOSHIBA Satellite A505-S6969
    • post a newegg link to one that you think is better
    • ASUS F50 Series F50Sf-X1A

Hi, I am in the market for a laptop as i have no desktop except a dell dimension 4500S. OMG slooowwww. anyways, what laptop out of the choices would you pick, im hoping to get it soon as possible. probably in a month or two.. i have the links to all three posted, but what do you think is the best choice and what are the pros and cons of your choices? thanks in advance.

ok the computer im using right now is a dell dimension 4500S series. it has a 1.7ghz celeron, 640mb ram, 64mb integrated shared memory graphics (intel 800 or something really old) and a 80gig harddrive with no dvd drive at all. just a cd rewriter.

im used to a dual core 3ghz machine with 2gb ram and at least a 512mb dedicated graphics card that can max out call of duty world at war, so im looking for the notebook, of which i have listed, or one you find on Newegg (only newegg please) that can be good for games, be fast, prefer to have a windows 7 upgrade available, dvd burner, and things like that, and be no more than 799.99 (800 bucks). thanks

ok here is the acer aspire laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115592

the acer has ddr3 RAM also, which is nice

here is the HP pavilion

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157020

of course the HP here has a amd dual core not intel and is 2.2ghz instead of 2.1ghz, not sure thats worth saying its the best though, just a preference for amd, but im open to intel (never used a core 2 duo)

and here is the toshiba satellite

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114653

and last but not least, the toshiba actually has a 16" widescreen, which the other 2 that are posted only have a 15.6" screen, but all have the same resolution.

which of these three...or one you find on newegg (800 bucks max) do you think is the best bang for my money to play newer games on, and be fast and stable? the windows 7 upgrades on the acer and HP i have listed is a nice addition but i dont NEED it, just is nice.

thanks in advance.

i think you should buy HP pavillion , because it is good, have 2.2 Ghz, max. RAM is 8GB , which acer doesn't have , at least you can trust HP, thay have good customer experience, i also have a HP laptop, i runs pretty good on 512Mb RAM, think how will it run on 4GB RAM, and it has stable windows vista, about windows 7 i don't know that really well.

Toshiba i don't know really well..

if i were you i will choose HP Pavillion

Keep in mind most laptops are not made for gaming so do not expect Call of Duty to play any better on the laptop.  It might but chances are unless you buy one that is specifically made for gaming you will be disappointed.  Other than that get the one with the most CPU, HDD, and RAM that you can afford.  No preferance in order.

oh yeah i know about the gaming on a laptop, lol, i dont expect to play many games on it, but would like the capability to run games at least on medium settings if i choose to install them for a long trip or something. but other than that im not too concerned about it, as i dont play many games that often, and the most graphically intensive game i have is probably world at war, and i have beaten it so many times i doubt i'd reinstall it even for multiplayer. but i just am not sure about the acer or the hp mainly. the acer is a littler faster with the ddr3 ram but then again the hp has things that the acer doesnt...so just figured i'd look for some opinions of others. im leaning towards the hp but then again i've had many acer products including a laptop and a 22 inch widescreen monitor, all of which work perfectly to this day. but im more or less wondering which would be a better desktop replacement so i dont have to have a desktop. :smiley:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220559

On a laptop you are going to want Intel.  Cooler, faster, and better battery life.  This is your best $800.00 laptop in terms of value IMO.  Toshiba support sucks.  I don't know much about Acer anymore.  

This also has a 7200rpm hard drive, and a better graphics card than the rest.

wow very nice find, i didnt see that one the other day when i posted this thread, i saw one like it, but was 800 and something, but wow, very nice find. i already want it and havent read all of the specs and reviews yet. looks very nice. thank you

edit/ but it says it has 4gb of ram, but only vista 32 bit...doesnt that mean it will only utilize 3gb?

I've had TWO HP notebooks, and never had any issues out of them.  Currently have a DV6-1030us....

Had a Toshiba as well......Multiple problems.  Mouse buttons stopped working.......Increading Dead Pixels on Screen.

Poor Tech Support (Phillipines).

I would recommend HP all the way. I've had an AMD and currently an INTEL one.  I dont have a preference in processor.

so as i checked on cpubenchmark.net it has a list of the passmark cpu benchmark tests or whatever it is...i forget at the moment the exact name...but anyways,  here is what i have found and also have found about the gpu's of the asus and the hp which seem to be the ones i like the most for some reason or another

benchmark test is this from research

score of 1498 points for teh asus with intel 2.1ghz t6500

score of 1036 for the hp hp with 2.2ghz amd turion x2 zm-82

and on a benchmark i have found for 3dmark06 here is the scores for the laptops gpu's

score of  7180 for the hp with ati mobility radeon 4650hd

score of  5880 for the asus with geforce gt 220m

so basically the hp has better graphics and screen, also a few other minor things i like, but the asus has a faster harddrive and faster cpu...so now its a matter of....which is going to show the best performance while multitasking with GIMP (photoshop program) and dvd burning, and alot of multitasking needs including graphical needs as well for some applications.

edit/ also the hp has 64 bit operating system, which the asus doesnt so i can utilize all 4gb of ram.

too many numbers  :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220559

taht link laptop has good configuration, but its make is unknown, that is assembled, and i cannot trust that manufacture, so HP is da best, you can increase the performance of HP laptops by increasing its page file usage and installing your software etc. in other local drives, that will affect your pc performance and boot up & processing become fast.

im pretty much thinking the hp is the one im going to get, yet for some odd reason the acer flashes back to me with the ddr3 and sata hard disk..but i think im probably going to go with the acer. just gotta wait a few more weeks/ maybe a month tops and i'll have it ordered, its already in my shopping cart on newegg. 843 with overnight shipping if i remember right.  :twisted:

well my plans have changed...im going to reconsider the toshiba...as of the fact that a friend of mine has an HP with a decent web surfing configuration, and even integrated graphics and complains nonstop about it getting hot and shutting down like it overheats...forget that problem, if he has it with that configuration what could possibly happen with the dedicated card and everything of the one i wanted....i'll post up with which one i buy for sure. sorry about the long thread and my double post here  :wink2:

sorry im dragging this thread out, but i just decided on the toshiba...it has the gpu and everything else i wanted in the HP but it also has the CPU from the asus, which i liked more. so its a win win for me.  it has to wait about 7 or so weeks to be ordered though...gotta wait and save a few extra bucks and see if it comes in stock again on newegg.  but anyways, labelflash is my main reason for replying to this thread again. any ideas on it? its completely different ball park than lightscribe. labelflash disks have blue (only blue at this time) ink embedded 0.6mm deep into the disk's plastic and instead of burning the image onto the disk it just basically moves the ink around and creates the image kind of like lightscribe but with ink in the disk itsself. still learning about it, but seems cool. although the media is found nowhere around me in stores and is more expensive than lightscribe. still hope it goes better than the stagnant reserach and sales of lightscribe items. it has potential, but i wish it was multicolored not just blue...kinda gets old if you use the same color for everything.  :haha:  any comments, questions, ideas about label flash...especially if you've used it. i want to know how well it performs. 

here is a link describing labelflash technology also.

http://labelflash.jp/what/index.html

http://labelflash.jp/what/tec.html

http://labelflash.jp/faq/index.html