DirecTV vs. Dish Network (HELP!!!!)

rjventre

I currently have DirecTV. I am thinking about switching to Dish Network because they offer more channels in HD and because DirecTV HD DVR's really suck. I was wondering if anyone has Dish Network or has had both DirecTV and Dish. How is the HD picture quality on Dish and how does it compare to DirecTV? How is the picture quality on OTA HD channels on Dish Network? I watch TV on a 70" in the living room and a 40" in the bedroom if screen size matters for picture quality.

Thank you in advance to all of the wonderful testmy.net members,

RJ  :grin2:

I've been on Dish with their best DVR for about a year now with Silver HD package picture and sound is great.

I have relatives that have Direct TV with DVR but not HD so its hard to compare.

I do like the Dish remote much better and their ability to operate two televisions from on receiver is nice too.

Well im currently with directv. I get really good pic quality out of my HD DVR. My DVR isnt really all that slow and its the older model. Is your 70" Full HD?

Yes my 70" is 1080p. I think I will go with Dish, but now I need to decide whether or not to wait for the VIP 922 receiver to come out. If anyone has any other opinions on this post, please post what you are thinking. I value the input of the members of testmy.

Same receiver as the 722 with a slightly larger hard drive and a sling-box stuffed inside.

And the remote has what looks like a tracpad instead of a number pad.  Mouse/computer like onscreen control, so different interface than 722 I'm guessing.

I've been waiting on the 922 to replace my 11 year old receiver.  I hope a person can use the old remote to change channels, I'm used to just typing in the numbers I want, takes less than 2 seconds.

And the remote has what looks like a tracpad instead of a number pad.  Mouse/computer like onscreen control, so different interface than 722 I'm guessing.

I've been waiting on the 922 to replace my 11 year old receiver.  I hope a person can use the old remote to change channels, I'm used to just typing in the numbers I want, takes less than 2 seconds.

I am hoping I can control the VIP 922 with my Logitech harmony remote. I don't want to go back to having several remotes. Logitech already has the codes for it up on there software but I just don't know how it will work with the receiver being the Logitech remote does not have a touch pad. I am hoping they get this new receiver soon because DirecTV's equipment is really pissing me off with how slow it is.

I am hoping I can control the VIP 922 with my Logitech harmony remote. I don't want to go back to having several remotes. Logitech already has the codes for it up on there software but I just don't know how it will work with the receiver being the Logitech remote does not have a touch pad. I am hoping they get this new receiver soon because DirecTV's equipment is really pissing me off with how slow it is.

If they have their codes up for it, maybe it will work with a regular remote then, I'd think it would be smart if they did that.  Not saying I won't like the new interface, I just see times when the ...old way would be better.  I've seen the demos of it, looks slick though.

As to your original question, can't help much.  I don't have HD yet, obviously, or a DVR (thought about making one though).  I have had Dish for the 10+, never a problem, never called a service tech, not that I would since I did my complete install myself.

Thanks for the advice NErancher. As for as the remote goes on the 922, the one that is included with the receiver has a button on it that says keypad. So, i am guessing you need to press that which would bring up a virtual number keypad and then you would have to scroll to each number and hit the trigger on the back of the remote to select it. To me, that sounds like a pain, so maybe a Logitech remote with actual numbers on it might be better in that case. Other times though, I think it would be nice to just scroll around. Anyway, Dish just needs to get off their butts and release the dang thing, it was supposed to be out Spring of 2009.

That's my line of thinking with the trackpad, and in their demos I saw the virtual keypad.  They also did a quick demo with the Dish Tech chat, but I missed that, all but the end.  I don't know, it does look unhandy, but you'd think there would have been a lot of complaints in their product testing..., I don't know, can't say much without actually seeing one in person, maybe there is some other way to go around it, otherwise I'm needing two remotes.  Also been waiting since January for the new box....  Didn't want the old model, but also getting tired of waiting.  Having been a customer for this long, and never getting upgraded receivers, or having service calls, or even calling them ever, I think they should give me some sort of good deal on it when it comes out.  It is in beta testing, I didn't check into it but I thought they said some dealers had them for testing, maybe in store, doubt it but who knows.

I am thinking Dish might release the 922 soon because they have stepped up their advertising lately. I think they are trying to get rid of all their 722's by giving them away to  their new dumb customers that don't know about the 922. DirecTV says they will be releasing their DirecTV with Tivo HD DVR in January officially but when I called them to ask about cancelling my service they had said it would be out for the holiday season. So, hopefully Dish will try to beat DirecTV to the punch.

:grin2:  Dishnetwork  has the best overall SD and HD lineup for the dollar.  Direct can't touch it currently.  Their VIP722 HD/DVR, is the best.  I am VERY happy with Dishnetworks programming SD and HD, service dept, agents, equipment and etc.  I would just look twice at their internet service, their you do not get any value for the high price.  [nerd]

:grin2:  Dishnetwork  has the best overall SD and HD lineup for the dollar.  Direct can't touch it currently.  Their VIP722 HD/DVR, is the best.  I am VERY happy with Dishnetworks programming SD and HD, service dept, agents, equipment and etc.  I would just look twice at their internet service, their you do not get any value for the high price.  [nerd]

How is the speed of the 722, as far as going through the guide and changing channels and stuff? That is one of the biggest complaints I have had with the DirecTV HD DVR's is the fact that they are so slow to do anything.

I have had both Dish and Dtv.  I am going to say Dtv is slightly better. I realize my story is not typical but go ahead and laugh if you feel like it...

Years ago, I was with the local Charter Cable company and had an issue with the rate hike from $34 a month to $45 and all they added was a few more shopping channels and Canadian Broadcasting. So I told them to unplug me and send the bill which I paid. At that time Radio Shack was sponsoring FREE hook up for Dtv. I went down and picked up a dish and box at the mall and was hooked up about 2 weeks later.  Then a few months passed by and a woman showed up at my door from Charter. Told me if I didn't pay my past due bill she was ready to disconnect me.  :idiot2: I pointed at my dish and she said her records showed I owed for the last two months, to this day Charter still wants $90 from me.

The first year with Dtv was without issue then I had to move the dish because the neighbor's enormous tree at the end of my block was cutting out my signal.  After that I had the Dtv for 2 more years before I got a rate hike I felt was unwarranted.  I went from $33 a month to $50 and I settled up with the company and went to Dish since they offered $29 per month.  Dish a little less in channels offered as well, but the TV is not the end all be all in my life.

Six months passed and the trees once again were in my way.  The service tech set up 2 dish and I told him I didn't want it to increase my bill... guess what... I ended up with a big bill so I boxed up the other dish sent it (at my cost) back to them, moved and realigned the dish myself,  and the next month the bill was back down. I never complained about it but never got reimbursed for the charges.  I guess about 8 months later I had another tree in the way and only 4 months left on my contract.  No matter what I tried I couldn't get signal.  So I resorted to calling the service.  The tech couldn't get service either and said he would tell them to stop billing and since it wasn't my fault not to give any penalty for early disconnect.  I was sent a bill in the mail for $250 which I promptly refused to pay.

Since I was still on good terms with Dtv I went back and got an intro rate of $30 per month but again that very month they charged me $55 and I had to protest it and cuss a few people out to get the offer they promised.  Just 2 months later the remote quit working and they charge me $15 for a new one.  I still have the Dtv system but all the TV service companies have issues imo in the end it is just a question of how much crap you are willing to put up with from them.