FTP or sFTP

cordell383

If you mean are the files going to be stored on my machine then yes, it will be my everyday PC. I dont even think it will be up 24 hours. it will be on when i need to send something.

I dont even think anyone else will have access to it but me. All i want to do is have a way to move some stuff to other PC, and dont want to user DVD or USB drives.

Like pics to Moms PC and some videos to friends and stuff.

Thanks

James

If you mean are the files going to be stored on my machine then yes, it will be my everyday PC. I dont even think it will be up 24 hours. it will be on when i need to send something.

I dont even think anyone else will have access to it but me. All i want to do is have a way to move some stuff to other PC, and dont want to user DVD or USB drives.

Like pics to Moms PC and some videos to friends and stuff.

Thanks

James

Ok I see, so the FTP server will be on your PC.

You'll need to assign that PC with a static IP. Set that up on the machine, and in the router.

It's easier when your just getting into it to use SNMP in the router, which will open the proper ports as the application needs them, plus PASV mode is kinda a whole nother animal to learn.

Get yourself a static dns server like no-ip.com, or dyndns.com they both seem to work just fine, and use there updater service, you install the updater ion the server. It will keep track of ISP changed dynamic IP addresses so when that changes, the url will point to the right IP. You'll have a specific url such as myftp.ftp-server.cc .

The FTP server will have some settings as well, you'll need to set a home folder for when you log in you are placed, and make sure to decide if you want anon login, if they were personal files, then I would say no to this.

I feel as if I left something out, there is a little more to it, but you'll get to that as you go.  I'm sure there's others here that can get you where you need to be as well :)