HughesNet response to my BBB complaint

guitarjim

Yeah, I read that a while back......About the NOC..... did you watch the video with it?

I think I seen a NOC operator throttle my speeds in that video.  He had my diag page up on his console!

LOL (just kidding).  Makes you wonder what they do to you system, though, as they have DIRECT control of your modem!!!  I watched Tier-4 nosey around in my modem one night.  He could pull up every screen I could as well as reboot the modem.

A users account is a little piece of software on the system. All the account settings are in there. And a bigger piece of software can adjust some parameters in those settings as needed or ordered.

Well it's always good to have a firewall running on your side of the modem. Even though ISP's will deny that they can see into your system.

And never, ever allow a support person to remotely connect to your system to 'adjust' settings. As they can delete a bunch of things if they want. 'Remote desktop', is the applications name.

Hughesnet national NOC video.

http://www.hughes.com/HUGHES/Doc/0/N9QN4JU1L3N4H34S5JPS1K9D99/Walk_the_%20NOC_LR.wmv

And then there are various ground stations to help spread out the system bandwidth over the country. Since a lower quality ISP has only one connection to the net and a better ISP has at least two connections in case of failure of one Internet connection.  

My ISP had an issue the other day and about 6 of their Internet connections were at issue. A bad main router of theirs probably. But many sites were still accessible, while some were not.

They would have so many more happy customers if the support was worth a crap. I assumed NOC was still operating in MD. My brothers account is over the 30days actually in the 40's still holding over 90% or better of home plan speed? Wish I could say the same for mine....compared system #s, signal etc... makes no sense that a home plan would not get throttled but a higher plan would?

You guys used to say that about me being on the home plan with good speeds before also. I was getting 1030/75 on the 500/50 home plan. Maybe the home plan rules?  :wink:

Just saying for real. Have no idea why.  :angel:

You guys used to say that about me being on the home plan with good speeds before also. I was getting 1030/75 on the 500/50 home plan. Maybe the home plan rules?  :wink:

Just saying for real. Have no idea why.  :angel:

I think your right on this one Gorman as my brothers home plan is rock solid 24/7. Advanced tech support has no answers other than shared bandwidth, speeds not guaranteed. I even told them my brother is on the same uplink and microcell....how was the home plan getting faster speeds than a pro plus account during peak times? speeds are not guaranteed answers.  The advanced tech also let me know that if you approach FAP limits speeds would be slow, now thats a new one. After asking about soft throttling he denied he mentioned that. At this point I do not know what the best move is, as my system gets great speeds during most of the day but nose dives after 6pm-12 midnight?  The 200Mb limit would just not work for me or would be worth a shot to downgrade to the home plan just to see what happens.

Since guiatarjim speeds also slow during the peak times this indicates this is very likely a Hughes game going on, and we the user are getting spanked?

Yeah, you're getting spanked all right, and PENALized! LOLOLOLOL

Anyways..... Look back to my theory............

Three people we're talking about here.

Fikester, his brother, and guitarjim.

Fikester and guitarjim are BOTH upgrades.....They're experiencing the same issues.........throttled during peak time

However, the brother was a NEW INSTALL...... Isn't having any problems. (less effect)

Are they purposefully giving UPGRADE users less speeds than NEW users?

I will say that on TWO account, my speeds were throttled after my 31-32 period (at WAY WORSE limits than any of you have experienced).

So yeah, you're getting screwed and spanked both at the same time! LOL

Yet . . .  so much better what I get off a 'lil ole USB wireless adapter!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1461 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 1536 kB)

Download Speed is:: 178 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/09/29 - 4:34am

Bottom Line:: 25X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.75 sec

Tested from a 1536 kB file and took 8.612 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 76.45 % faster than the average for host (myvzw.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-BM2ODZHFJ

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS) [!]

Here is what Hughes advertises typical speeds to be? My pin # is no longer good so sent them an email asking for a fix and or move back to Ku system or cancel. I'm not paying 79/ for evening dial up speeds. My speeds are far from 1000k during peak hours.

Hughes Lies

and while I'm thinking about it  I just love how the installer grounded the coax to the transmitter ground screw.......? unreal :confused1: trust me this was the first thing I fixed.

The pin #'s to ECC change every week.  If you just talk to the operator, and say you have an OLD pin #, and that you need to speak to your contact, they will usually put it through.

I dealt with William on two accounts.......... who is your contact.  I know most all of them.

Weren't you paying $79 for your plan on the 7000 KU system?

They might cancel you without an option (they turned my signal off the moment I hung up with them on my last phone call to them).  of course, I didn't want it anyway.

Here is what Hughes advertises typical speeds to be? My pin # is no longer good so sent them an email asking for a fix and or move back to Ku system or cancel. I'm not paying 79/ for evening dial up speeds. My speeds are far from 1000k during peak hours.

Hughes Lies

and while I'm thinking about it  I just love how the installer grounded the coax to the transmitter ground screw.......? unreal :confused1: trust me this was the first thing I fixed.

The pin #'s to ECC change every week.   If you just talk to the operator, and say you have an OLD pin #, and that you need to speak to your contact, they will usually put it through.

I dealt with William on two accounts.......... who is your contact.   I know most all of them.

Weren't you paying $79 for your plan on the 7000 KU system?

They might cancel you without an option (they turned my signal off the moment I hung up with them on my last phone call to them).  of course, I didn't want it anyway.

I was on the pro plan with the Ku system....the FAP limit was 375MB with the 7000s when upgraded to the Ka system the pro plan only allowed 300MB (this is about what we use daily or little over) so figured might as well get the pro plus with the 425MB limit to prevent getting under FAP.....did not think would get auto FAP every evening with the new system. I did mention guiatarjim exact same speed issue.

One more question . . . .

when you upgraded to the HN9000 system . . . .

Did you keep your OLD account # (that you had on the old HN7000)

or were you assigned a new account like    DSSXXXXXXX    ? ?

I was on the pro plan with the Ku system....the FAP limit was 375MB with the 7000s when upgraded to the Ka system the pro plan only allowed 300MB (this is about what we use daily or little over) so figured might as well get the pro plus with the 425MB limit to prevent getting under FAP.....did not think would get auto FAP every evening with the new system. I did mention guiatarjim exact same speed issue.

no worry they have a fix insight....only 2yrs or so away. My guess is the more Ku people like myself get moved to the Ka system the worst is yet to come until the new sat gets up then repeat.

http://www.spacenews.com/satellite_telecom/091009wildblue-keeps-pace-hughes.html

Note that Telesat owns 20% of WildBlue.

And I also call B.S. on the "750,000 subscribers" number ever since it was published. Especially since users are not evenly spaced out in the U.S..  And I think that user number maximum is based on speed packages of 512Kbps.  So if someone gets the 1Mbps package, well thats one less user. Or 1.5Mbps, is two less users.

If you have a NEW INSTALL on a HN9000 system your Account # will look like

DSS8001235

If you had an UPGRADE from a Hn7000 to a HN9000, your account # will look like

DSS0045678

I am quite sure Hughes keeps these series of #'s seperate.  DSS800's get full speed.......

DSS00's get throttled.    Possible theory.

I had TWO NEW INSTALLS of an HN9000. both my account numbers were DSS800xxxx and DSS825XXXX.

good speeds til day 32! NO slowdown at ANY time in the first 30 days.....

One more question . . . .

when you upgraded to the HN9000 system . . . .

Did you keep your OLD account # (that you had on the old HN7000)

or were you assigned a new account like    DSSXXXXXXX    ? ?

I just was at my brothers forgot to notice the account # format but did notice the software version on his HN9000 is different than mine.... home plan on his modem, as of right now his home plan is at full speed around 1000k where as my pro+ is around 500k at the same time of test. Had I known the new account would have made a performance difference would have gone that route. At this point have filed a BBB claim emailed and called executive customer care and emailed [email protected] had one evening since install this Ka band system has had advertised speeds. There is just no other high speed available, only prospect is the power company is going to try broadband over powerline (BOP) maybe in the spring, but by the time they test it and providing it works still looking at 2011 likely if all goes well, until then guess it HughesNet.

did you ever check into Mobile Broadband ? ?  Do you have any VERIZON towers in your area?

I have a Verizon Mobile Broadband card.,  Works a hell of a lot better than Hughes ever did.....

(goes thru Millenicom . . no contract, no taxes.)

I just was at my brothers forgot to notice the account # format but did notice the software version on his HN9000 is different than mine.... home plan on his modem, as of right now his home plan is at full speed around 1000k where as my pro+ is around 500k at the same time of test. Had I known the new account would have made a performance difference would have gone that route. At this point have filed a BBB claim emailed and called executive customer care and emailed [email protected] had one evening since install this Ka band system has had advertised speeds. There is just no other high speed available, only prospect is the power company is going to try broadband over powerline (BOP) maybe in the spring, but by the time they test it and providing it works still looking at 2011 likely if all goes well, until then guess it HughesNet.

We have verizon cell provider but according to the map my home is beyond the evdo service area......at times even the cell services is weak as cloudy or rainy days the voice services do not work correctly, only 1-3 bars on a clear day. Other cell provider here is US cellular but again this area they offer no wireless card plans that I'm aware of. DSL closest run is a few miles away....and mentioned before the cable company here struggles to provide TV, the 128k internet was 45/month and seldom ever worked, actually worse than Hughes experience with them, dial up is 24k. Whats weird is there is a government facility less than an 1 air mile away....I'm sure they are not using dial up.

We have verizon cell provider but according to the map my home is beyond the evdo service area......at times even the cell services is weak as cloudy or rainy days the voice services do not work correctly, only 1-3 bars on a clear day. Other cell provider here is US cellular but again this area they offer no wireless card plans that I'm aware of. DSL closest run is a few miles away....and mentioned before the cable company here struggles to provide TV, the 128k internet was 45/month and seldom ever worked, actually worse than Hughes experience with them, dial up is 24k. Whats weird is there is a government facility less than an 1 air mile away....I'm sure they are not using dial up.

Damn you are in nowhere land. Those do not even look like choices really.  :undecided: I do understand, and for over 5 years 8.0 DSL has been staring at my house only 2 blocks away. And yet the pone company has no desire to bring it on over. I even offered to pay. They said when they are ready and not until. But EVDO is ok till it gets here. 

I got a phone call earlier today from executive support, heres what they telling me:

The engineering dept is well aware of the terrible speed drops and are currently working on the fix for HN9000 customers....the Ka band is getting swarmed by all the people moving from the older Ku systems and new installs. The beams are not overloaded but the hubs or gateways is the bottleneck....more hubs are going to be used in the next 30days to eliminate the congestion.

Will wait it out and see what happens

also 30days free for me  :cool2:

The beams are not overloaded but the hubs or gateways is the bottleneck....more hubs are going to be used in the next 30days to eliminate the congestion.

Well it's damn nice of them to WAIT for the Gateways,hubs, NOC's to get over full, BEFORE they upgrade the bandwidth.  :idiot2:

I'm sure this issue will arise again even if its fixed soon, seeing Hughes is going to eliminate a large percentage of the Ku systems in the future. This is where I think the more complaints to the BBB the better when problems arise.....also the competition helps out, sort of a  squeeze on Hughes to shell out some cash for improvements.

Hughes didn't think that one out very good did they ? ? ?  Of course moving a large number of 7000 users

over to Spaceway WOULD create congestion.  BAD NOC! ! ! BAD BAD NOC ! !

I've had a charge back from June when I cancelled.  Hughes provided a rebuttal saying I owed $206.38.

You should have seen the HUGE mess of paperwork they sent the back.  It was NOTHING more than ALL 46 times I'd either called or emailed them about service issues.

They're SO STUPID.  How is that documentation on their side?    it is THE documentation I should have provided the bank for REASONS I SHOULD NOT PAY THEM.

In almost EVERY ONE of the case id's....Hughes used the same canned response.

I would NEVER bestow this service on anyone, ever again..... HUGHES, YOU SUCK!

I got a phone call earlier today from executive support, heres what they telling me:

The engineering dept is well aware of the terrible speed drops and are currently working on the fix for HN9000 customers....the Ka band is getting swarmed by all the people moving from the older Ku systems and new installs. The beams are not overloaded but the hubs or gateways is the bottleneck....more hubs are going to be used in the next 30days to eliminate the congestion.

Will wait it out and see what happens

also 30days free for me  :cool2:

It does seem the HN9000 works well in harsh weather as today my signal dropped from normally 170-180 to below 70 at times, still good speeds....also noticed the NWP number increased to in the 50's which is normally around 35-37. The rain was heavy enough the older Ku system likely wouldn't have worked.....this part is actually an upgrade. Slow evening speeds during peak hours still not resolved.

* after tweaking both my brothers and my own Ka band dish, the ravens seems to have a little better signal as well about 5-7pts....had I known prior to install would have requested the Ravens dish as Hughes will not honor my compaint about the style dish. The Prodelin style also appears flimsy...I will post pics on these different makes later.