XP SP3 running 3MB broadband very slow

Alan One

zalternate hit the nail on the head.  That mystery port was in fact uTorrent.  While it wasn't active before I used it (see prior posts) to test the speed of a large 1 GB download.  uTorrent has a graphical speed logging interface.  I didn't recognize the port for 2 good reasons.

1. After testing I removed the firewall access for uTorrent.

2. uTorrent set up the port at random.

So I guess those "nuisance traffic" hits will continue a few more days before they go away.  The irony is I never finished the download and just picked something that had a lot of seeds. So kids, the lesson there for anyone reading this, you should know what using P2P can do to your packet flow.

I think your IP is added to the tracker so others can find you, then once a peer connects to you the requests for pieces begin.

For me... Utorrent's problem is that there are 1000 incoming connections per hour and my router tries to remember them all.  Once the router's memory is full it stops making new connections, to yahoo for example.

If Utor is closed then no more peers should be trying to connect.  If your full IP is reported to the tracker then everyone sees your IP.  You probably know that Utor and your router can be told to use the same port.  So any other questions?