Old box doesn't work after being moved

Le_Murphant

You might have read the problems I'm having with my newer box (http://www.testmy.net/t-27116), but I'm also having trouble with the box I put my old pieces in. I changed most of the parts from my P180 to an old case + PS a friend had given to me. He gave them to me with his old mobo since there was something that was not working and he couldn't figure out what it was. I put all the pieces in and booted it with my original screen, installed the graphics drivers to my new ati card, and I could go on the net, everything was fine. I then turned it off, unplugged everything and moved the box in my tv room where it was supposed to  become an htpc. Before moving it, I screwed the sides back on, that's about it. When I plugged everything back in in my TV room, and put the hdmi out in the card, I pressed the power button and nothing happened. No fans, no hard drive, no video card, nothing. The power light on the mobo was on but even then I tried flicking the switch on the PS, still no go. Checked all the connections, removed the mobo battery, tried flicking the power button by short-circuiting the power pins on the mobo, still no reaction. My diagnosis would now be that the PS is dead, but how could it have died by simply being moved (and I was gentle)? I'l try to borrow a friend's PS in the next few days to see if I am correct, but I want to have your opinions before that.

If it matters, my specs are as in my signature plus

-Sparkle power 360W PSU (old)

-New ATI HD 4850

-Old cheapo case

Gotta wonder if there's an "extra" , or loose wire from the PS that got crammed in the side when you screwed it on, any chance of that ? How about maybe accidentally leaving a screw in the case from the install, and slid someplace bad when you moved it. ??? 

Dude, whats up, I mean I think things will be looking better for me, because you seem to have taken something from me, thank you :)

Yeah, I'll test those hypothesies, but I'm not sure I could know if a wire got crammed somewhere other than by finding one that is severed somewhere.

And thanks mudmanc4 for being my personal debugger tonight. Even when your advice isn't what fixes the problem, explaining the problem often helps solving it  :smiley:

Changed the PS and now it works fine, so either it was a bad connection or my old PS is dead. I'm still trying to figure out how to use F@H without having to disable it when I'm using the computer. Also, is there a program that can make Windows XP more HTPC friendly, for example by making the fonts larger everywhere? I'm also experimenting with ways to share media on the network, so feel free to give me suggestions.

I uninstalled F@H and installed the GUI version. My gpu indeed seems to be working, judging on its temperature, but my cpu usage stays around 50% on a C2D at 2.4GHz. Even if I throw a cpu intensive application (I tried with Orthos), the cpu demand stays very high, around 30% in my test. I want something that uses my idle power, so I don't have to turn it off whenever I do something else.