HDD Bad sector utility

mudmanc4

Been working on this thing for a week, I posted earlier about error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"  on an Intel DG33BU . I assumed it was the board, after exhausting everything in my arsenal of utilities, Iv'e come to the conclusion that there's a few bad sectors in the SATA drive. MAybe not, maybe it's the entire drive, I dunno, but the drive is less then 6 months old, and although that means nothing, I want to attempt to recover the drive if possible.

So what I'm looking for is a bootable utility that will not only locate the bad sectors, but mark them as bad so the drive can be used.

I hope someone has a link to something for me. "seatools" (seagate drive) doesn't seem to have what I need.

Thanks

Also I'm getting the error "cyclic redundancy check "

Problem solved.

I should have known by the "cyclic redundancy " error  :roll: which pertains to data checking during data transmission. Hard disks have redundancy, where optical drives do not, without correct cabling. Therefore SOME IDE optical drives will not operate properly with the 80 pin cable w/ DMA 100 capabilities. Besides, you lose your transfer rate when using the 80 pin.  :idea:

Nothing wrong with the HDD, I tried everything, all peripherals, including power cord, power surge strip, memory, ok, everything accept the optical drive IDE cable, and the only reason I didn't, is because believe it or not, that there, is what came with it. !!!!!  Nice one liteon.

None the less, this still does not explain why I could not install the OS even on a brand spankin new intel "41" E7400 w/ serial ATA optical and the same HDD, thats still out there.

So it took me a bloody week to build someone a computer system, I actually had to pull more components from stock to give them the next day delivery. Unbelievable over something that doesn't even google. So keep this in mind.

I'm building a new system. And the Box will have an odd configuration, due to me having two 10 month old IDE hard drives. So the DVD burner will be Sata, in order for me to use the one IDE slot on the MoBo.  So in a few years as the drives get to old age, I'll change out the IDE's for Sata hard drives. But I will still have one spare Sata port, if I want a third hard drive.

I am convinced. 'Keep buying store bought'.  :-P

I would have been so pissed by that time. Not to mention it would have taken me months to get that to a shop and figured out.   :o

Seriously ? Over a cable, and learning something this valuable ? ok then. Actually, I need people thinking this way. Your right :)

Thanks for the heads up! THUMB_1.gif

Yea no problem bro !  

I'm building a new system. And the Box will have an odd configuration, due to me having two 10 month old IDE hard drives. So the DVD burner will be Sata, in order for me to use the one IDE slot on the MoBo.  So in a few years as the drives get to old age, I'll change out the IDE's for Sata hard drives. But I will still have one spare Sata port, if I want a third hard drive.

This is how I'm setting up this last 12  systems I have out of this bunch, with the dang PS only having one frickin SATA power connector,  (it's ok though, I got 30 of them for $400. and change  :haha: ) so I can sell them for next to nothing.  ) And I got 22 DG33's for $370. and some change. And enough E4600's to fill them up. With the stacks of IDE's I had left, this worked well. So no worries zalternate, it' gonna fly.

I just got one of the 41's this last week, and whoa, that thing tick right along with a E7400 stuck in it. !!!! I'm going to be looking for deals on those.