Newbie with a Cable question

LuvWhiteSand

This is one of the downfalls to cable. As more people hop on the router you are on the slower your and their connection becomes. If you are really lucky and you ISP is monitoring usage stats they will most of the time upgrade that area so that it runs faster 8) . Some times it just take them for ever.... Comcast is a great example. When I first joined I was 1.5mbs/256kbs. I my speeds were around 1800-2100 at first. Then I started to slow down I mean really slow down, 1350-1500. About a month later I received a email from ISP heaven, I was now rated at 3.0mbs/256!! It gets better. I was moved off of the really crowed router on to a new router. I get around 4450 now! So call your ISP ask why it is so slow and if they plan to upgrade anytime soon.

By the way welcome to the site!

All I know is, when the cable company made the switch from SB3100 to SB5100 (always on), my bandwidth increased from 2, to around 4.2. After three weeks, it reverted back to 1.9; and a week later, to 1.4.

I mentioned this to the cable company, they sent people out, and had no explanation for the decline. (that they were willing to admit) I suspect it's either a new configuration file, or they're filling the nodes to capacity.

Line booster? Can you shed some more light on that topic for me, Swimmer? Are you speaking of some sort of line overload? Perhaps too many people on one node?

The bandwidth is pretty steady, around 1.4; that leads me to believe it's either a configuration file, or a crowded node.

yeah the booster is something that the cable company will install on the cable line if the frequency is to low or to high. This happens when to many people are on one node and surfing at the same time. My guess would be that if you wait til an off peak hour say around 11:30 on like a tuesday you would see that the speed is there but you arent getting it because some many people are on while you are on normally.

That likely won't happen until the connection drops below 1.2. The customer rep., said they consider anything above 1.2 (on their 'up to 2 mbps service), to be 'acceptable'.

The 3.5 mbps service, is $70.

https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&align=&num=2022711&kbps=1514&gen=gen&a=9.14285714285714&b=1.71428571428571&c=1145.14285714286

yeah the booster is something that the cable company will install on the cable line if the frequency is to low or to high. This happens when to many people are on one node and surfing at the same time. My guess would be that if you wait til an off peak hour say around 11:30 on like a tuesday you would see that the speed is there but you arent getting it because some many people are on while you are on normally.

Sorry, I have to correct you Swimmer... heart was in the right place... but your facts were a little off.

"Line Booster" or amplifier is (yes) to up your signal strength, the can also add connections that purposly drop signal strength, because too much can be worse that too little signal. A bunch of signal does not mean a bunch of speed ;-) ~~ cable modems have a signal operating range that they need to stay with in to function propperly.

Also, an amplifier is not used when "too many people are on one node and surfing at the same time." The way that cable works on the signal strength end of it is that lines loose signal strength from splits, taps, cable length and PHYSICAL stuff... the whole system is plotted out a head of time with signal levels in mind and a series of amps to deal with the signal drops of taps and cable plant length...

When too many users are congesting the system they start doing work on the node to handle additional subscribers... if that does not work they start work on the head end..... that is a whole new story ;-)

That likely won't happen until the connection drops below 1.2. The customer rep.' date=' said they consider anything above 1.2 [i'](on their 'up to 2 Mbps service), to be 'acceptable'.

Evil idea: modify the RWIN to be very inefficient. That oughta to get the speed below 1.2 Mbps :twisted: