Possible DOA Hard drive

Le_Murphant

I got a new Seagates 1TB hard drive as a media drive for my computer. I tried plugging it in as a secondary drive and it wasen't recognized. I tried putting it in my new antec external HD enclosure, and the enclosure is recognized as is the usb-to-sata chip and the disc spins up but the hard drive still isn't recognized. Can it be anything else than DOA?

Check to see that in the bios the HDD settings are set to IDE instead of sata. Dont ask me, because I don't really get it, but in all the intel boards I put together , thats what I have to do to get it to recognize them sata's. Many times they'll also need to be a setting for a raw drive to  "install OS" .

I tried with both my desktop and my laptop with similar results, and my other external hard drive which is based on an ide drive, works with no problem on both, so I doubt it's a configuration issue. BTW, my laptop is relatively recent so I assume it has a SATA hard drive, which means that SATA would be enabled by default in the BIOS.

Maybe the drive is "doa" , but your an educated man, by this we know never to assume, anything. Check the jumpers, change cable , change rail on the power supply, check bios as stated in earlier post, if ll else fails, better get that thing back before the return date expires no ?

• 2 months later...

Thread revival!

So I didn't find anything to fix my problem, and decided to RMA the drive, but have been lazy and haven't done it yet. My old 250G hard drive started failing, so I bough a new one, a Caviar Green, also 1 TB that I put into my external enclosure and... it still doesn't work! It installs correctly, the adapter is shown in devices, and the disk appears in device manager, but there is no external storage that appears in My computer so I don't know how to access it. The same happens when I connect it with my laptop. Both computers run on W7. The chances of 2 DOA drives in a row from different manifacturers is close to none, so there must be a problem with what I'm doing, any ideas? I will next be trying to connect the drives directly via sata.

Maybe the drive is "doa" , but your an educated man, by this we know never to assume, anything. Check the jumpers, change cable , change rail on the power supply, check bios as stated in earlier post, if ll else fails, better get that thing back before the return date expires no ?

SATA drive don't have jumpers.