Wild Blue reconnect policy

frodoboy

This is great and so typical. I just got wireless internet with 2mbps download and 2mbps upload for $69/month. I've had Wild Blue for years and have been fairly happy. The download has always been consistent at 1.5mbps and the upload never seemed to get past 175kbps. Before Wild Blue I had DirecPC/DirecWay/Hughes Net and you all know where that went! I called and asked how many days I had to give them to disconnect. The tech told me only about 3 days and if I did get charged for the next month, it would be pro rated. That wasn't a problem at all. I told him I am going to leave it connected until I'm sure the wireless works great (so far it is kicking ASS!) Then I told him that just in case the WISP went out of business or I was really dissatisfied down the road, I was going to leave the Wild Blue dish on my roof. I purchased the system when I got it so I wouldn't be locked into a 2 year contract just in case something like wireless came along. I said "I assume all I'd have to do is call Wild Blue and get the old system recommissioned since you've never have upgraded the hardware since my system." The guy said "oh no, you'll have to lease all new equipment and sign up for a 24 month contract!" I asked him why I had to lease equipment I already own. He told me because leased equipment will have a 24 month warranty so if anything breaks, it will be fixed for free. I said "my system has NEVER had a problem and my hardware is the same hardware you'd have to 'reinstall' on my roof and why I would need to take my good system down and have the SAME system put back up on my roof?" He said "we don't sell systems anymore. We only lease them." I said "yeah but that is a waste to have to put this one in a landfill because you simply won't turn it back on." He said something like "I understand your frustration." Obviously he has already run into this situation already.

I can't believe (well, maybe I can) that they would not simply flip a damn switch to recommission my system. I hope to hell that the wireless company stays in business and my service stays strong until AT&T eventually puts DSL out here (they've been saying that for the last 9 years!).  Just thought I'd let off some steam and let anyone else considering dropping Wild Blue with the possibility of reinstating it in the future what they are up against if they own their own equipment.

I have always had consistent 1.5mbps download speeds all times of the day. That is why I tolerated WB. The upload speed was never 256kbps but since the DL was consistent, I didn't look around. Here are the last test results I did just before the wireless was installed. I tested the ping rate as well. Then I will show the results of the wireless tests. They have to come out tomorrow and put another transmitter up pointing in my direction. Right now I am on the end of a 180 degree arc but with the new transmitter, I will be right in the center and speeds will stay consistent and the ping time will drop. Some times the wireless gives me 2mbps up and down and sometimes it only gives me 500 up and down but that is STILL faster than WB just for basic page loading with very low ping times. Here are my last WB test results done at around 1pm PST on Friday, October 23rd. The wireless tests were done at around 3pm PST.

Auto test results for Wild Blue

Download: 1447 Kbps or 1.45 Mbps (177 kB/s)

Upload: 141 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps (17 kB/s)

Ping results (Google.com)

Pinging google.com [74.125.45.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.45.100: bytes=32 time=1837ms TTL=47

Reply from 74.125.45.100: bytes=32 time=1535ms TTL=47

Reply from 74.125.45.100: bytes=32 time=1536ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 74.125.45.100:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1535ms, Maximum = 1837ms, Average = 1610ms

Auto test results for Surfnet Wireless

Download :: 1900 Kbps or 1.9 Mbps (232 kB/s)

Upload :: 1751 Kbps or 1.8 Mbps (214 kB/s)

Ping Results (Google.com)

Pinging google.com [74.125.67.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=49

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=49

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=49

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 74.125.67.100:

Minimum = 73ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 77ms

The signal bounce is what will always make satelite suck

Nah. DAMA will make satellite suck no matter what.  :wink2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_Assigned_Multiple_Access

frodoboy

And with the wireless you have . I have read about some ISP's that have setup with 'balanced upload and download' speed and eventually they change it to a set rate for the upload, as more customers come online.   But those are real nice wireless ping times.

I am not sure if WildBlue used to have a 'vacation mode' for 'up to' a few months, but that may of been discontinued.

I have always had consistent 1.5Mbps download speeds all times of the day. That is why I tolerated WB. The upload speed was never 256Kbps but since the DL was consistent, I didn't look around. Here are the last test results I did just before the wireless was installed. I tested the ping rate as well. Then I will show the results of the wireless tests. They have to come out tomorrow and put another transmitter up pointing in my direction. Right now I am on the end of a 180 degree arc but with the new transmitter, I will be right in the center and speeds will stay consistent and the ping time will drop. Some times the wireless gives me 2Mbps up and down and sometimes it only gives me 500 up and down but that is STILL faster than WB just for basic page loading with very low ping times. Here are my last WB test results done at around 1pm PST on Friday, October 23rd. The wireless tests were done at around 3pm PST.

Auto test results for Wild Blue

Download: 1447 Kbps or 1.45 Mbps (177 kB/s)

Upload: 141 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps (17 kB/s)

Ping results (Google.com)

Pinging google.com [74.125.45.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.45.100: bytes=32 time=1837ms TTL=47

Reply from 74.125.45.100: bytes=32 time=1536ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 74.125.45.100:

Minimum = 1535ms, Maximum = 1837ms, Average = 1610ms

Auto test results for Surfnet Wireless

Download :: 1900 Kbps or 1.9 Mbps (232 kB/s)

Upload :: 1751 Kbps or 1.8 Mbps (214 kB/s)

Ping Results (Google.com)

Pinging google.com [74.125.67.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=49

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=49

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=49

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 74.125.67.100:

Minimum = 73ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 77ms

I'm not familiar with the auto test, myself would have to see test validation from this site to prove accurate. Hughes used to have a test site that would show much higher scores than testmy would, now Hughes is more accurate but still not the same as actual speeds. Too bad you didn't do those test on this site as I have been asking for weeks to see test done during peak hours 8pm-10pm est from WB users.

I see where you have tested direcpc and wireless, but no WildBlue? http://www.testmy.net/tools/database/db_search.php?type=user&q=frodoboy

the autotest is from this site. It is the one where testmy starts with a smaller file and keeps testing until it takes longer than 7 seconds to download. Then it gives the results. I could reconnect the WildBlue hardware and do the test during prime time for you. It wouldn't be that hard to do. I quit posting once I got Wild Blue because my speeds were as promised most of the time and most people post speeds because they are pissed off. If I remember, I will do the test tomorrow around 5pm and then post it here with the rest of the testmy info. The speeds I posted already however were the top numbers in the typical test results.

the autotest is from this site. It is the one where testmy starts with a smaller file and keeps testing until it takes longer than 7 seconds to download. Then it gives the results. I could reconnect the WildBlue hardware and do the test during prime time for you. It wouldn't be that hard to do. I quit posting once I got Wild Blue because my speeds were as promised most of the time and most people post speeds because they are pissed off. If I remember, I will do the test tomorrow around 5pm and then post it here with the rest of the testmy info. The speeds I posted already however were the top numbers in the typical test results.

no need to reconnect the system, but if you happen to do that.....log in and test upload and download after 8pm est, the server time will log GMT with no DST. Again no need to reconnect the system, I'm sure WB will charge you....likely the speeds weren't recorded because you wasn't logged in, as I just run the SmarTest and it did record in my log. The WB package you had was the pro 1500/256...?

Yeah it was the pro package. I wasn't logged in when I did the test and I guess I never logged in when I did the other tests over the last couple of years. It doesn't even show the (probably) hundreds of DirecWay tests I did 2-5 years ago. The system is still up and running, just not plugged in so I can easily run a speed test when logged in and see what happens and then post it for you. I think I am on the Stockton? beam in California but I don't remember which satellite. I'm sure WB has oversold it ever since they teamed up with DirecTV. I wonder who dumped who (HugesNet and DirecTV) in that deal with HugesNet?? Maybe DirecTV got tired of all the complaints from HughesNet customers? Of course now they have to put up with complaints from all the WB customers. LOL.

The way I remember it Hughes bought out their part of it from Direc TV. Ok.....

HughesNet (formerly DirecWay) is the brand name of the one-way and two-way satellite broadband Internet technology and service in U.S. and Europe owned by Hughes Network Systems. The service was originally called DirecPC and was only available as a one-way satellite Internet option, as uploading was accomplished with a dial-up modem connection. The original consumer DirecPC service launched in October 1996.

History

On March 27, 2006, DirecWay officially changed its name to HughesNet. The previous DirecWay name was fully retired on April 22, 2006. HughesNet solutions and services are marketed directly by HUGHES and its authorized resellers and distributors throughout North America, Europe, India and Brazil. In all other regions of the world, Hughes products and services are available from a growing family of value-added providers and resellers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecWay

Ok, as promised, here are my scores at 6:02pm PST Monday, October 26, 2009 during Prime Time.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1465 Kbps about 1.47 Mbps (tested with 1536 kB)

Download Speed is:: 179 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 146 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 18 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/10/26 - 6:59pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JTK9RG86Y

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-PKYZQ4128

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

This is pretty much what I always got on DL and UL. I've never really had a problem with slower DL times but the upload has always sucked!

Here are my scores with my new wireless connection.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1659 Kbps about 1.66 Mbps (tested with 1536 kB)

Download Speed is:: 203 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1903 Kbps about 1.9 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 232 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/10/26 - 7:08pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-VP1FWI6LK

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-89E31J07N

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

I guess it is a NO BRAINER!!!

Patrick

I wish my WB speeds were that good =( Oh, and I'm on their Select package that I had installed in September... only reach advertised speeds VERY rarely. I'm going to cancel this contract if the technician doesn't show up on 11/2. And they can kiss my grits if they try to hoodoo me with the contract. They have not delivered as promised/advertised.

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 342 Kbps about 0.34 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 42 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 108 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 13 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/10/26 - 7:43pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FH0T68E59

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JO321MQ0A

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

I wish my WB speeds were that good =( Oh, and I'm on their Select package that I had installed in September... only reach advertised speeds VERY rarely. I'm going to cancel this contract if the technician doesn't show up on 11/2. And they can kiss my grits if they try to hoodoo me with the contract. They have not delivered as promised/advertised.

:::::::::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..:::::::::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 342 Kbps about 0.34 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 42 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 108 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 13 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/10/26 - 7:43pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FH0T68E59

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JO321MQ0A

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Yes those speeds look pretty sad.....would be expecting advertised "up to" speeds or at minimun during peak hours 80% of package speeds. Thats what WildBlue told me when I was shopping around? A scientist posted on the WB forum that "up to" obviously meant less than and basically you shouldn't expect to get those advertised speeds. :whaa: I'm thinking the up to speeds is what you should get or real close to the package speed payed for. Keep running your test during different hours of the day.In the mean time while waiting for the tech....file a claim with the BBB against WildBlue Communications. Nothing worse than paying for something you dont get. Many user are being told all kinds of silly things, even not not to use the service in the evening and not to check speeds during prime time from other sites. :2funny: