Windows 7 Vs Xp in the real world.

ninjageek

Don't really upload anything. So Had No idea the uploads were slower. Thats interesting.  As far as just surfing downloading stuff. Windows 7 is faster on my setup than Xp.

I hang out in a few "questionable"  forums. Some of the posters really upload TONS of stuff. I have not seen anyone complain about the upload speed. Maybe you do need to open up the Connections Like you did in Xp. The half open 10 in xp we all learned to love and hate. I will say So far tweaking Windows 7 internet connection on a cable connection just makes it worse. But thats my connection and setup. May be different on yours. But I do keep on hand. "ultimate windows tweaker for Windows 7". Its nice and restores windows default settings. So your tweaks can be reversed pretty easy. Don't have a link so you will just have to do the google.

I've been monkeying with my NIC just now. I turned up the receive buffer to 64(from 16) and I also turned it to 100 full duplex(or 10 depending on connection speed), instead of the default 'automatic'.

It has caused my download speed to be more stable in a higher range. Otherwise my speed showed a bit slow that it should be.

the transmit buffer is good at 256.

Still needs some more tweaking.........

Well my upload is 30 mb so its really really slow to most websites and only from 5 to 15 mb which blows cause my xp machine is way faster and I hear you cant tweak win 7 like xp and vista

Well my upload is 30 mb so its really really slow to most websites and only from 5 to 15 mb which blows cause my xp machine is way faster and I hear you cant tweak win 7 like xp and vista

My uploads are good and seem to be doing the same test pattern for upload speed.

I set the receive buffer to 32 and seems to be about all I can get it do for a stable higher speed, since the other settings don't seem to be doing anything different, other than maybe going as far as shutting down some of them. But thats another day.  :smile2:  

I just did a quick test with the free Flight Simulator download on the windows site and the speed does fluctuate a bit. I don't get quite near the stable speeds I have done with XP, but there was some strange increase in speed that shouldn't of happened.  So instead of the seemingly consistent 600 K B/sec(Win 7). it went to 800 K B/sec and 700 K B/sec for a few seconds. And my connection runs about 5200Kbps, but does occasionally surge slightly. My XP box got about 638 K B/sec tops and stable at that.

I have 1 Desktop running Vista Home Premium, and 2 Laptops running XP MCE

I have been running the RC version of W7 on and partition on the desktop and one of the laptops, no problems with either one.

Thinking about upgrading using Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack

Any thoughts?

I would love to move my windows 7 to my main drive but 32bit xp won't swap to 64bit 7 :(

You might want to check out this program ---> http://www.laplink.com/pcmover

I have not used it personally, but it is something I cam across whenever I was moving from Vista to 7. Unfortunately it wasn't compatible at the time that I looked or I probably would have tried it.