hi i could use some information

sssj_408

i work for a hotel , and im a on-site manager . We have t1 , and nobody really uses it but me . The problem i have is i should be able to download and upload way faster it says i have the bandwidth and i have a good wifi network card . heres my info i hope this is enough to get some input

also my speeds no matter what will not go above 170 kbps download which makes gaming not possible

this is one showing <snip> I forgot to read the RULES and a Moderator edited my post!

heres the info i got from your site

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1464 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 1536 kB)

Download Speed is:: 179 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/11/02 - 8:12pm

Bottom Line:: 26X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.72 sec

Tested from a 1536 kB file and took 8.593 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 133.49 % faster than the average for host (221.9)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AFP8XT13V

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Zune 4.0) [!]

see it says that my download speed is 1.5mbs per second , but it also says my download speed is 174kbps im confused why cant i go higher????????????

thanks!

First thing here, a T1 line is a very consistent dedicated line directly from the nearest backbone, it's perfect for such places as a hotel, or a small business. Each user will be able to obtain the same speeds, without waiver.

Generally, a T1(DSL) line such as your speaking of, will range from 256 Kbps -1.5, my thoughts are one of the two, there's something not quite configured properly withing the modem / router, or ithe connection isn't really a T1, it's a ISDN line, (two DS0 lines ) only thing is , this might be a fiber line Vs. a copper, because a copper would be 128 Kbps.

Can you find out the ISP, and what the line terminates into, is it a "transformer " or a modem type ? Are there phone lines that run withing a switch ? Or are the phones separate. Depending on the age, this could easily be VoIP, maybe Cisco equipment Nortel, many others. Find out what you can about the devices.

its t1

heres my provider cbeyond communications

im pretty sure we get phones through them also

we use a server connected to a switch , and router , wireless for our customers not a hard connection

im going to be honest with you me and the owner for a while have been under the impression that they may have our speed per i.p. capped , if thats the case then we are going to ditch em

server runs xp , i dont know what cisco or nortel is

thank u

Download Connection is:: 1464 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 1536 kB)

Download Speed is:: 179 kB/s

First thing here, a T1 line is a very consistent dedicated line directly from the nearest backbone,

Generally, a T1(DSL) line such as your speaking of, will range from 256 Kbps -1.5,

If he is getting 1464 and he's supposed to be getting 1500? Not sure about the problem, but then I must be lost.  :undecided:

If he is getting 1464 and he's supposed to be getting 1500? Not sure about the problem, but then I must be lost.  :undecided:

No, it doesn't work like that with a fractional T1.  The lines get what they get by the mathematics of it.

its t1

heres my provider cbeyond communications

im pretty sure we get phones through them also

we use a server connected to a switch , and router , wireless for our customers not a hard connection

im going to be honest with you me and the owner for a while have been under the impression that they may have our speed per i.p. capped , if thats the case then we are going to ditch em

server runs xp , i dont know what cisco or nortel is

thank u

Well you have to understand the way this type of connection works, it is "capped" were all capped in a sense. You can only get a certain amount of bandwidth with a T1, now when they install it, as a rule, there are more lines run, for obvious future upgrade options, there very well may be 24 lines run, if it was done standard, then the connections possibilities could be up to 1.5 something Mbps. This might cost near $1000.00 and upwards per month. The cost might be close to that now, but chances are, it's between $350.00 and 500. a month for that connection. But it is needed for if, and when users want to use it on a full saturday night.

There may be other options in your area, like having a cable ISP set up a "hotspot" contract. But without the type of connection you have now, unless there's a decent provoder in the area, and you get a full house and there trying to use it, then forget it. But as you said, no one really uses it.

I guess I fail to see the real concern here.....hitting 100% of a capped line is not often done.

Your running at 1464 of the 1500 that your alloted.  The difference is 36 bits......that divided by 8 (which is a byte) is equal to 4.5 bytes.....or 4.5 caractors per sec.

Kbs = kilo BITS per sec

kBs = kilo BYTES per sec

Bytes are 8 times bigger than bites

So your 179 times 8 = 1432 Kbs.......still not a whole lot to worry about there....but that's just MY opinion.... [nerdly]

Oh yeah....1500Kbs does = 1.5 Mbs....