Question about availability

Not sure if this is the place to post it, since I'm  a newbie and all! But, for the past.. maybe 4 years, my mom and I have been trying to find a high speed internet provider for us. We live in a rural area in Eastern New York where HSI isn't available. We're on dial-up.. still. We've tried getting Verizon DSL (since their site said "Great news, Verizon DSL is available in your area!"), but turns out we're 1 1/2 miles outside of the CO. We were on Wildblue satellite internet for about a year, but that was horrible. And now, I checked to see if we could get it, and what do you know, the site says it's available, or is it? Would Time Warner be able to tell us over the phone if we're able to get it before ordering it? My mom is stubborn and doesn't want to get it unless it's 100% available.

Thanks

Eric

Welcome to the forum! Do you have EVDO coverage in your area? If so many here have switched to it from WB,Hughes and other Satellite internet and are very happy with it. I'm sure Tommie will see your post and have something to say since he is one of the members who use EDVO!  :wink:

And now, I checked to see if we could get it, and what do you know, the site says it's available, or is it? Would Time Warner be able to tell us over the phone if we're able to get it before ordering it? My mom is stubborn and doesn't want to get it unless it's 100% available.

Support should be able to tell you, they might have to do a call back if you request a tech to make sure that you can get it or not.

The online availability tool isn't always right, depending on the parameters of the program that runs it.

Its wireless by cellphone waves. Try these links.

Sprint:  http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/evdoEnterZip.jsp

Verizon:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController

Cricket: http://www.mycricket.com/broadband/

Your local phone company also.

http://www.evdomanuals.com/ev-do-service-providers/

So thats who was blocking my post.  :wink: And a couple more.

If you are using it on the ground floor it is easy. In the basement you'll need cables and antenae for it to reach signal. And signal is the key to speeds on it. And a tiny help  from TCP Optimizer. Yes more recommended than cablenut. Actually granpa has the best settings of anyone I know. But I'll get you through the basics. I actually use the U720. And by the way Sprint is the best of the EVDO providers. So actually feel lucky.  :smiley:

All you do is plug it into the USB port and the Sprint representative will walk you through it. Simple instructions also come with it.

Yep no more ice or snow on the dish. Not fantastic speeds, but surfing rocks compared to satelite. D/L might be the same, but without the jet lag of satelite it'll be better still. And the upload kills satellite. I pay the same within 1 cent, so for me it was so easy to do. Here is my modem, any idea which one you'll have? I hear some are internal antenae. Never dealt with one of those. But again they have  great phone installers, and its a fast setup time. Odds are you'll love it.

I know I said I was gonna walk you through it.  :lol: I just did, that all there was to it. Unless again its in a basement. Then you'll have to let me know.

Also "I" got to do a 30 trial to see what I thought of it. You might ask of that. It only took a week and one rainstorm to know though.  [geek]

I don't know what plan will be available to you, but I got in on the truly unlimited plan for D/L's. Some have a 5 Gig plan. Be sure and check on that.