2.5 IDE external enclosure

pakocat

My daughter's Gateway Laptop was replaced and I purchased an Ultra USB 2.0 High Speed enclosure for the removed HD. I can't get Vista 64 bit to see it. It installs the drivers and nothing shows up in drive listing for it. I tried it on an HP laptop and ran into the same problem. Does anybody know how I can access the files on the 2.5 drive?

My daughter's Gateway Laptop was replaced and I purchased an Ultra USB 2.0 High Speed enclosure for the removed HD. I can't get Vista 64 bit to see it. It installs the drivers and nothing shows up in drive listing for it. I tried it on an HP laptop and ran into the same problem. Does anybody know how I can access the files on the 2.5 drive?

As a rule , it should show up like you say, but if the enclosure is advanced a bit, then it may take the CD that came with it to work with the device. Just a thought.

Another thing, did you send the HDD with the laptop ? Was the HDD "messed up ? is that the reason for the return ? Could it be that the file structure is missing on the HDD ?

Have you tried to boot from it via startup options on either laptop to se if it can be recognized that way ?

Did you run the new hardware wizard ?

I also thought the 2 OS's were conflicting. I will try to set boot sequence to usb and see if it will run. The PC I'm working on is much newer than the laptop hdd. I've tried 2 different types of laptop HDD's and both were working fine when removed, a Toshiba 30 gig with XP Professional and a Hitachi 40 Gig with XP home edition. I can't see either one. The book that came with the enclosure said you should only need the disk if you're running Windows 98. The HP laptop I used was running XP home edition as well. My desk top is an HP Media Center running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I'll let you know if changing the boot sequence works. Thanks.

Ok. Here's the update. I can't choose to boot from usb, and I can't "see" the external drive no matter what I do. I went into disk management and the Hitachi HDD doesn't show at all but it freezes everything up until I disconnect it, then when I reconnect it's still not showing. The Toshiba HDD actually pops up in disk management, but when I try to open the drive it also freezes everything up. I'm going to try to repair an old Gateway desktop and see if the version of windows on it will open the drives for me. Thanks again for your responses. I will try to remember to keep you all posted with any resolution or workaround I can find.

Try typing in the next drive letter in the commnd prompt, say your last drive is c:/ , then type d:/ , or so on.

Also did you go into disk management , (in computer management you may have to assign a drive letter.

Something else that hasn't been brought up, some external HDD enclosures will not run off the slim power of the USB ports, even then, some front ports have been known to have even less power then the ones soldered onto the board itself.

I'm just tossing things out there. But since it seems that this is going on , on more then one machine, maybe this is something with the drives.  Or the enclosure itself, there not perfect you know  ?  This is most likely the problem, a defective enclosure. There pretty basic, would you mind posting the specs on that enclosure ?

I did go into disk management and the drive only lists when I use the Toshiba hdd. I also added the power cable (additional) and moved it to the rear usb as well with no luck. It's looking like I might need to pay someone to retrieve her files or purchase a different brand of enclosure. I bought two at Tiger Direct ... one SATA and one IDE. I figured they would come in handy to have around ......

Ultra ULT31738 Hard Drive Enclosure

Application: 2.5"IDE drive

Interface: USB2.0

Data Trans. Rate: 480Mb / Sec.(USB to IDE)

DC Input: USB/PS2+5V

Dimensions: 1.5 x 3 x 0.5

Sorry for the delay. The laptop had broken keys and was 5 or 6 years old and to "tired" to get fixed so she replaced it. She actually had me remove the drive before I submitted it for recycle, you know, for security issues. Come to find out she is returning to college and needs all her old files and has no backup folders saved anywhere. I'm not giving up though, just a little busy to jump back on it just yet. thanx