Not getting 4.0mb, Im all tweaked out.....

zakk

Hi to all. Im new to this site and hope some ppl may be able to help me out. I have done numerous download speed tests and all are between 3.3 -3.5mb. Is there something else I can do to speed up my download speed. Im running windows 98se, dsl with Sympatico. Thanx

Hey Lorne, well ive done everything from changing the rwin, mtu and lots more. I found these at a tweaking site. I may have accidently changed some settings in the networking properties, this I think may have something to do with my current speed. I just dont know what the default settings are. Thanx....

Ahhh.... Yeah you have to make sure to back up your registry before you tweek just in case. :) Here is a link to some patches and a real good if not best optimizer i have used. I think one of these patches will set all your settings to where they should be. If it doesn't than you can try using the optimizer to do it. Just select your connection type and it will set all those settings to optimized settings so if you have something set wrong it will set it for you.

Let us know how it goes :D

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

I overlooked it b4, must be getting tired...I tried some of the downloads and tweaks and my speed is still the same. Im happy with my speed but just thought I would try and increase it to its max... Thanx for ur help, Zakk

Hey Lorne, I did a TCP analyzer report, Do u mind checking it out and let me know if the settings are correct.

MTU = 1492

MTU is optimized for PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

MSS = 1452

MSS is optimized for PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for maximum throughput.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 65535

RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits

Unscaled Receive Window = 65535

Note: Under Windows 9x, if you have RWIN set to any other value, and the Analyzer reports 65535 you might need to install the MS Vtcp386 fix.

For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.

Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

511104 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

255552 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

127776 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

63888 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product:

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 2621.4 kbps (327.675 KBytes/s) @ 200ms

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 1048.56 kbps (131.07 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = OFF

Time to live left = 57 hops

TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000

Everything looks good except this

Note: Under Windows 9x, if you have RWIN set to any other value, and the Analyzer reports 65535 you might need to install the MS Vtcp386 fix.

For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.

Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

Is 65535 what you have your RWIN set at?? You might want to try the fix it suggests. You can also try setting your RWIN to 64240 that number seems to work well for a lot of people. :D

Hey Lorne, I looked in the MSTCP folder and noticed that the receive window was set at 255552, I changed it to 64240 as u reccomended. I did not see the MTU option in there? Where would I go to change the MTU and what would u reccomend changing it to. Thanx again......

Hey Lorne, Well iv'e done just about everything possible to increase my speed, guess ill be happy at 3.5-3.7mbps. Im using a router and just wondering if there are any tweaks or settings that can be changed to increase the speed. Thanx......

Hey Lorne, Well iv'e done just about everything possible to increase my speed, guess ill be happy at 3.5-3.7mbps. Im using a router and just wondering if there are any tweaks or settings that can be changed to increase the speed. Thanx......

Be more than hesitantly happy about 3.6 mbps. That's a fantastic connection. If it ever got worse, you'd realize that.

My ISP is Sympatico, they tell me that I am on a 4mbps line...I have had everything checked and even had the phone jack replaced to a newer version. Im just kinda frustrated that im not getting the full 4bits. Im using a router and wondering if this may have something to do with my speed being a little slower. Thanx.....

If you are not getting over the advertized speed it could be a few things:

1) Your isp has really strict bandwidth limits.

2) the upgrade to the new speed isnt complete

3) To many people are on you node

4) You are on dsl(the replacing the phone jack thing you mentioned)

If you are on DSL and it happens to be SDSL you are being fooled by the ISP. The current capable limits on that technology are, as I understand it, 3mbs. Which would explain why you are not seeing the 4 that you are talking about. The router shouldnt effect you speed greatly but a firewall could. Post 2 download tests and upload tests. This will helps us out!

Here is my download test swimmer, Thanx

Speed Test Results

Your connection rating is: [Test Home | Re-Test]

[Look for broadband in your area...]

Your connection is: 3491 Kbps (about 3.5 Mbps)

You downloaded at: 426 KB/sec

Your TRuSPEED