Please help me very slow internet conncection

rgieg

Hi im new here and would really appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

We have verizon fios at home and im get a speed of less than 1 mbps dl and 3mbps ul.  My roomate whos room is across from mine gets dl speed of 20mbps. 

I have have done a virus scan with kaspersky and a malware/spyware scan with spybot and adaware.

Hardware i am running a q8200 with 4gb dd3 and a dlink dwa556 wireless n pcie card.  My roommate runs an old amd laptop. 

Why am I getting such a low speed while he is getting 20mbps?  Its not the location I belive because our rooms are right in front of eachother and the router is on the main floor.PLease help any assistance would be much appreciated.

Could be a bad splitter, cat5 or 6 cable, Modem, bad line to the house. How many people you are sharing the line with. There are a lot of variables. Personally I'd get hold of Verizon and complain and keep complaining until it is right. I had to complain to my provider some time back and my internet has been rock solid since. Like they say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"!

I share the internet connection with 3 people who are very light users.  Just surfing and no downloading and are rarely home.  We all get our internet by wifi the thing im concerend about is that I did the speed test on my roommates computer (very close to my computer) and his results are 20mbps while i get less than 1.  If it was only a few mbps difference I wouldnt mind but its too large.  Would it be a software issue?  I scanned with kaspersky, adaware and spybot and they say my system is ok

Sorry no the router is on the second floor and I have a desktop. Could this be a spyware/adware/virus problem? I read in one of the guides to run the spyware/virus programs in safe mode will do that when I get home. I will also post the results of my speed test here so that you can see it.  Thank you very much.  Hopefully I get this issue fixed dl of less than 1mb sucks

Just tossin this out there, but it may be location vs. wireless card antenna . If the signal is coming from up, it has a tendency to go  outward see , depending on the router it could be omnidirectional though, yet there could be structural interference within the ceiling, or a wall.  Or the card may be working like coknuck said at a lower speed then the router is capable of, but thats a huge difference. Chances are it's several things. Many times people put there desktops under the desk , and the antenna is in the back then down by the floor away from the signal.

mudmanc4 that actually makes sense but the thing is my roomate whose room is adjacent to me gets 20mbps and i get less than one.  We are on the same floor and the only thing that seperates us is one door.  Would that be enough to give me 19mbps less than his connection? I am using a wireless n card (Dlink DWA 556 could it possibly be this is a crappy card?). This is really driving me nuts.  I'll do a speed test and upload it as soon as I get home and post it here. and run kaspersky and spybot in safemode as soon as I go home hopefully that fixes it. Do you have any other programs u suggest to make sure my system is thoroughly clean? 

Another thought before i could get speeds of up to 4mbps but never 20 like my roommates. any thoughts on this?  Guys again much appreciation to all the help

just wanted to update you guys i did some research and fixed the problem. turns out that all i needed to do was update the driver for my wireless card. apparently dlink is really bad at having the most up to date drivers on their site so i downloaded one from station-drivers and im happy to report that i know have 17 mpbs download and 8 up or something close to that.  So if anyone has the same wireless card as me update the driver and you're good to go. thanks to all the help guys