Erratic wireless signal

GLTurn57

Hello all,

Signed up to hopefully find an answer to a problem I'm having.

Here's my situation:

Have Alltel Wireless Internet using a Huawei EC168 USB card. On my laptop, a Gateway P-7805u FX the signal strength is very erratic and download speeds are very slow. The signal jumps around a lot. It may start out EVDO rev-A 100% then the next second it'll be RTTx1 say 40% (it varies each time), then back to EVDO say 92%. Download speeds are anywhere from around 140 kbps to no more than 900 kbps. It's like this 99% of the time. If it happens to stay at EVDO rev-A for more than several seconds when I try to load a page or download it'll drop down again.

I don't have this problem on my desktop. It's always EVDO rev-A 100% signal with download speeds of 1000 to 1300 kbps.

The desktop was running XP 32-bit, the laptop Vista 64-bit. I upgraded both to Windows 7 64-bit. I hoped upgrading the OS on the laptop would fix this but it didn't.

I use Firefox. Just updated to v3.5.5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yea, I'm beginning to think the reception of the signal I'm getting here at home has for some reason is changing since I first started the wireless internet back in July.

I was just at the local BP gas station about a mile from my house and was getting 100% signal and 1200 Kbps D/L watching videos on YouTube.

I'm now at home and now the performance is the same. Just ran the large D/L on testmy and was 1168 Kbps. :?

I have the omni antenna you mention and the Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router but haven't had the time to set it up (working a lot lately).

Thanks and have a great rest of the holiday weekend. :smiley: