CPU cooling

JH2688

I think its time to upgrade my cooling in the computer. Right now my CPU runs around 38-39c most of the time. With a stock fan/heatsink. I feel thats kind of warm. So i want to upgrade my heatsink. I wanted to get your advice on a good heatsink, plus a couple good 120mm case fans as well.

This is one i was looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

Oh yeah, Im running a AMD Phenom II X4 955

I was just looking at a couple of water cooled ones, but they weren't very good at all maybe you can recommend a good one

Well I was talking a couple weeks ago with someone who does regular installs, and they shot me this link , have a look, there are many. I'll toss another one up here inna minnit, I have a link on a small local server starting up. Features is what I look for. Not just a unit.

Either way, with water, make sure you do your homework. I'm sure you will.

JH2688  Got A couple of questions for you. What case are you using, that heatsink is pretty big and will not fit some cases.

Are those cpu temperature at idle, also what is the room temperature? Is your cpu overclocked?

AMD says the max temperature for that cpu is 62 c.

With water cooling you are usually better buying the parts separately instead of a kit and for good water cooling parts it will cost you more money then a good heatsink.

As for case fans I use either Yate Loon fans or Scythe fans.

I got started up my computer a few minutes ago and the temps are around 35c which is pretty good, but as soon as i do something it jumps to 38-39c, but i guess thats not to bad either. I've also ran AMD overdrive stability test and it never got past 50c. These are on defualt settings. 

I guess over all its doing a pretty good job, but you can never be to cautious.

I usually run Prime98 to see what my max cpu temperatures are.

Here is a link to download Prime98. Just go to step 3 and download the program that works for your os. I usually let it run for 24 hours to test stability, but to see what your max cpu temperatures are, just let it run for a couple hours.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

That one is good... but I know from first hand experience with more than one computer that the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro is the shiiiiit.  With some setups I've used it on the CPU has run as cool as 1-3* above ambient temperature.  This thing is so efficient that one one computer I used it on I ran it without the fan and the CPU didn't break 98*F idle and like 110*F under load.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

It's pretty sweet.  And it has Fluid Dynamic bearings so it's silent... AC makes some of the most quiet fans around.  And personally I like my computer to shut up and let me do the talkin'.

-D

I think its time to upgrade my cooling in the computer. Right now my CPU runs around 38-39c most of the time. With a stock fan/heatsink. I feel thats kind of warm. So i want to upgrade my heatsink. I wanted to get your advice on a good heatsink, plus a couple good 120mm case fans as well.

This is one i was looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

Oh yeah, Im running a AMD Phenom II X4 955

Oh, and make sure that you use silver or ceramic thermal compound on whatever new CPU cooler you get.  It does make a difference in the heat transfer from the CPU to the cooler. --- Make sure that you also clean off the old shit well.

Here's a link to Arctic Silver 5 on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

They also compound remover http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010 (I personally have never used that stuff though, I just either wipe it off or in the case of that baked on OEM bullshit I scrape it off with a plastic razorblade.)

So wierd because I have the same CPU and I haven't put a AC cooler on this yet and my temp runs at about 34*C-42*C (OEM heatsink and fan) but I also have it in a Zalman GS1000 case, lots of airspace and a killer layout for cooling.

I'm sure you already looked into dust being the issue but if you haven't you should look into that, sometimes dust will cake onto the fins or fan and insulate it from doing it's job properly.

I would have put a better cooler on this already but the OEM is doing a great job for me, plus I plan on getting an i7 soon as I can so I don't want to put money into something I'll be getting rid of anyways.  :-P

-D

I just download the prime 95 and i started it up. I had to shut it down right away, because my temps jumps up top 59c within a couple of minutes.

Ca3le, Thats looks like a pretty good heat sink, I might end up getting that one.

yeah, My case kind of sucks for ventilation. Thats why i wanted to put some 120 mm fans in it to get the air moving around a little better.

When i was reading the comments for the AC freezer 7, there was a lot of comments about it not working as well for the AMD chips. Would this be a problem for me.

Im running a ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme cpu cooler on my Core i7 and does a very good job cooling it. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and idles around 25-27c and never seen it past 40c so far. From what i have read on cpu coolers for like dual and quad cores intel processors. The coolers arent going to cool a core i7 properly due to the cores on a i7 are more spread apart than the older quads. I believe i have all that correct lol