cable modem and wireless network..packet loss?

LC

Im new to the forums and sorry if this isnt in the right place...up until last week I had great speeds from my comcast service..then I installed a new airlink wireless router and bought a new machine..so now i am running my old machine hard wired into the router and the new machine is wireless..I keep having to call comcast customer service because i get hhuge packet loss issues..they run me through disconnecting everything then reconnecting everything and then the issue goes away ..for awhile...now I have packet loss again and havent been able to resolve it..they are sending a truck to the house in a couple days ..but has anyone else run into this issue and do you have an easy fix?...I cant give mod#'s right now because Im actually posting from work...too slow at home..reminds my of surfing with a 9600 baud modem back in the day:(

Well it appears that by having my cable modem on top of my wireless router was causing trouble...I seperated the two devices by several feet and power cycled everything and now Im back up to speed and my network is running fine...my wife will be dissapointed that we now have a cable modem on our bedroom floor but as long as she will agree not to kick it during her nightly trips to the bathroom I think I'll be leaving it right where it is!

yeah I know ..everyone says its odd and the phone support people from comcast say that its not supposed to happen..they were showing anywhere from 50-80% packet loss on their side of the modem when they pinged it...on numerous occasions..but hey its been since the 24th Feb since i seperated the two devices and havent had any trouble since...the cable modem is an OLD RCA from @Home days so maybe it wasnt shielded correctly ..who knows..I just have to make due until the 31st of March when Verizon installs FIOS and then it wont be my issue anylonger.

I had a similar problem with Comcast and my modem and ethernet router. Comcast wasn't able to solve it, but when my speed goes to 700 kbs, I just power cycle the router and it's back to 5.7 to 6.0Mb.

This is usually a weekly deal, but I've had a dozen techs out to the house and they cannot find the glitch.