Build a server now where do you send it to get it on the internet?

GIXXERGUY6

Usually a Data Center, these are places with other servers. They can help you out more.

Or get a T1, DS2, or DS3 line or other. These are corporate lines that give you a static IP (So you can access the server from anywhere else) and usually .7M DL and UL, for a T1. Then the get higher, up to 45M DL and UL (DS3).

Thanks,

Nanobot

Usually a Data Center, these are places with other servers. They can help you out more.

Or get a T1, DS2, or DS3 line or other. These are corporate lines that give you a static IP (So you can access the server from anywhere else) and usually .7M DL and UL, for a T1. Then the get higher, up to 45M DL and UL (DS3).

Thanks,

Nanobot

yeah I got a quote(well not really a quote) on D3 :D  that's not happening :D

I was just looking at the costs for these dedicated and virtual dedicated servers at godaddy and other places..

40gb hd

1 gb ram 1.6 dual core

etc...

I can build something way better for cheap if I just have the net portion(unlimited/unlimited)

hrm...I'll see if I can find something in town.

The issues is not always the hardware.  Depending on where you decide to co-located there can be fees like no other.  If you server breaks, the co-location company is not going to touch it.  There may be a fee to enter the data center on off hours. You are responsible for the hardware, security, and maintenance on your server.  Unless you are going to put 5 or 6 racks in for a small business it is way easier to buy a dedicated server and most likely cheaper in the long run.

The issues is not always the hardware.  Depending on where you decide to co-located there can be fees like no other.  If you server breaks, the co-location company is not going to touch it.  There may be a fee to enter the data center on off hours. You are responsible for the hardware, security, and maintenance on your server.  Unless you are going to put 5 or 6 racks in for a small business it is way easier to buy a dedicated server and most likely cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. The co-loation would have been here in town less than 20 minutes away. So me going there isn't an issue(but you say they charge me/myself for entering a place where my unit housed?) WTF.

here is what I'm doing(using it for)

a website for my wife(photography for customers to view and then purchase, so there is going to be "subfolders" for each customer for a few months and then it's going to rotate out to new ones). A ventrilo chat server for myself as well as ftp server for myself.

I would like to have about 500gb and, good processor and good ram as well as unlimited bandwidth and speed.

Any input?

Thanks,
Nanobot

That would be a stupid thing to do because the cost alone of a T1, or even a SDSL connection would cost more then getting a server in a datacenter.

Most companies wont run any of those types of connections to a residential home anyway. And if you can find someone who will run it to your home, your not going to get a DS2/DS3 etc. Most are now doing 10E, 100E, 1000GigE, and 10,000 GigE connections. Which really isn't much of a problem here cogent will run a 1000 Mbps connection to your front door, but you need like a 600 Mbps commitment. And at $4 per mbps its gets real expensive real fast.

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. The co-loation would have been here in town less than 20 minutes away. So me going there isn't an issue(but you say they charge me/myself for entering a place where my unit housed?) WTF.

here is what I'm doing(using it for)

a website for my wife(photography for customers to view and then purchase, so there is going to be "subfolders" for each customer for a few months and then it's going to rotate out to new ones). A ventrilo chat server for myself as well as ftp server for myself.

I would like to have about 500gb and, good processor and good ram as well as unlimited bandwidth and speed.

Any input?

First off you will never get unlimited bandwidth, you can get a unmetered connection 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 1000 Mbps. 10 mbps is most common and usually will cost about $100 extra per month depending on the provider. Sometimes you can get in on a special where they give you that for free, or get a plan that has more bandwidth then a 10 mbps unmetered connection.

10 Mbps can push only 3300 GB per month. Going to the next level 100 Mbps gives you 33,000 GB per month, but will cost anywhere from $1000 - $2000 extra depending on the provider.

If you shop around tho you can get a sever with a 100 Mbps and a fixed amount of bandwdith, which is what you will want.

Since you want 500 GB of hard drive a VPS is out, as well most types of could services are pretty much out.

Here is a few providers, all have solid networks and excellent support, all are also unmanaged so if there is a problem your fixing it most of the time.

http://www.softlayer.com/cloudlayer_computing.html - There starter Cloud server is really good, and it can be expanded as your needs grow.

http://directspace.net/ - They can customize just about anything you want, talk with sales and tell them what you want. There prices are really cheap for what you get too.

RoadRunner has business class 6/6 I think.

That might be a good place to start. But I would ask them whether or not you can host a webserver on it, because many ISP's will limit what you can and cannot host. You may be able to host a private site, but a production server (Such as the .com your wife wants) is another thing.

If you want good quality dedicated web hosting, I would look at http://www.godaddy.com/ They are great in terms of hosting, and the customer service is impeccable. I have been using them for 6 months, and I don't regret it at all. They do have unlimited plans, which don't limit your space or bandwidth as far as the server you are using will go.

Thanks,

Nanobot

RoadRunner has business class 6/6 I think.

That might be a good place to start. But I would ask them whether or not you can host a webserver on it, because many ISP's will limit what you can and cannot host. You may be able to host a private site, but a production server (Such as the .com your wife wants) is another thing.

If you want good quality dedicated web hosting, I would look at http://www.godaddy.com/ They are great in terms of hosting, and the customer service is impeccable. I have been using them for 6 months, and I don't regret it at all. They do have unlimited plans, which don't limit your space or bandwidth as far as the server you are using will go.

Thanks,

Nanobot

Using a business class connection to your home is generally a bad idea for a few simple reasons. The biggest is reliability. Its just not going to have anywhere the reliability of one of the connections that are in a real datacenter.

You also have to know that your limited to just 1 connection, its not uncommon in a real datacenter to have 10, or 20 + different connections totaling at 200 Gbps + capacity. So if one or more carriers go down, or have a problem somewhere inside their network, your site doesn't go down.

That also plays into the fact that with one carrier, your site is going to be really slow in places where that carrier doesn't go. Even hosting on AT&T and Verizon who have "global" networks, in many places they are very very slow, because they end up going over several different carriers to get to your server. With a datacenter that has many different providers there is a much higher chance that the end user will better access to one of those providers keeping the site fast all over the place.

Also there is no such thing as "Unlimited hosting plans" That is just a scam to get you to sign up and think you can put as much as you want on there. If you read through a hosts terms of service, and acceptable use policy you will see that in reality you can't use anything close to what you thought you paid for.

The cram 100's of accounts onto each server, and the server alone might not have enough storage for 1 account to use all of its "assigned" space.

If he really wants 500GB of storage, he will have to get some kind of a dedicated server.