soundblaster audigy soundcard in windows 7

sinister666

i recently installed windows 7 on my old ibm, everything works fine except my audio. i have a soundblaster audigy ls sound card, 5.1 surround. i found a driver that gets me sound, but i only get 2.1 sound and not 5.1. when i go to the sound properties, and test my sound, it gives me sound on all channels, but when playing music and movies, i only get 2.1 sound. also i cant access the creative EAX settings to change speaker settings. i have searched the internet for a week straight and still i find nothing helpful. before i upgraded to windows 7 from xp i ran a compatibility test to see if my hardware could handle win 7 and it said my sound card would work fine but it doesnt. i go to microsofts website and that says there is no support for my sound card. i dont want to have to buy a new one right now,(but if i have to, then i have to) i just want mine to work the way it is supposed to work. it seems like if i can get 2.1 sound, then there should be a way to get the 5.1 sound im supposed to get.

long story short... is there any third party drivers or software, or generic drivers that will allow my card to work the way its supposed to?

from looking around on the net, it seems alot of other ppl have the same issue with this card in windows 7.

Looks like a lot of people are sharing your pain, I did find this download to what several have said works.

I also read that windows update will fins an "old" driver, and it works. Fat chance , but worth a try.  If that linked download works not, then maybe go into device manager and uninstall / reboot ~ try it that way.

oh come on now, you know there is no such thing as a dumb question!

but yes, i have all my plugs and jacks in the right spot, i checked and rechecked and then checked again.

i even pulled my soundcard and put it in a different computer i have here thats running XP and it works the way its supposed to on that box. i know there is nothing wrong with the card, its something to do with windows 7 not recognizing it properly.

im starting to wonder if it was really worth switching up from XP to Win 7 Ultimate.

I had a problem similar with my Web Cam. I had to down load the drivers from Hercules for it  to work and I even had the install disk. I also had problems with my wireless printer until I down loaded rhe Windows 7 drivers. By the way I running W7 too. I tell you whats weird is I didn't have the problem when I was using W7 RC1.

well i went to Creatives website to download the drivers for my soundcard, and they have a new one that says it fixes issues in windows 7, but it only gives me 2.1 sound and not 5.1.

i also downloaded the Vista driver pack for it thinking that would work, but when i try to install the vista driver pack, i get a blue screen of death and my computer shuts down, its weird.

ill try that link that mudman posted tomorrow morning and see if it works. if not, then i guess its time to drop a few bucks on a newer soundcard.

hmm...i didnt find that one when i looked on the creative site. ill give it a try. my internet searching skills suck i guess. thanks ill try that one too. ill let ya all know if any of them worked for me in the morning, im headed out for the night right now, so ill report back tomorrow with results. thanks guys for taking your time to look for this stuff for me. i looked for a while but couldnt find this stuff. ill let ya know if any of it works for me.

Have you try the Windows XP Mode that is install In Windows7 Ultimate. It say it is for older business and productivity program, but it just might work for sound cards too.

EDIT - Never mind It looks like it will not work for you. Basically it creat a Virtual PC on your computer, so the older program can run. Sorry about that I should of look into it first.

no luck for me with any of the downloads. and my computer is too old to support virtual XP. ill just have to either be patient and hope they put out the proper support for my soundcard or just go buy a new one. Thanks for the time and help tho guys. if i ever do find anything ill be sure to post it just in case any one else has the same problem.

this looks promising tho. ive been reading where others are having luck with this ALchemy for Audigy program...and this is what im finding http://www.getvn.com/applications/multimedia/3974-creative-sb-audigy-series-support-pack-25.html 

looks hopeful...maybe i can have some luck with it. im gonna try it, if it doesnt work, then ill post back and keep looking.

the link i posted in my last post i think is the same as what mudman posted in his first response, but for some reason that site wouldnt let me download that link. weird. but i think its the same thing, i think im on the right track now.

i was to late for the edit button.

well in case any one cares or anyone else ever has a problem with their sound blaster sound card in windows 7, then the link i posted 2 posts up is the answer. or the link that mudman posted in his forst response to my problem. thats the answer, the soundblaster support pack. only problem, everytime the computer gets shut down, it forgets all your audio settings so you gotta reset your speaker settings. other than that it seems to work, i now have sound on all channels the way im supposed to.