Seems the problems have hit me too

nbodkins

Now not sure if that's what you mean by a beam ?

I meant WildBlue spot beam.

Maps of spot beams in this post. Support or your installer would be able to tell you what you are on.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/wildblue-communications-inc/i-need-help-27537/msg318720/#msg318720

Hughesnet KU satellites have a really wide footprint. But that makes good for aiming yourself or good for portable units.  I've read posts that the KA units don't want to move to another spot beam, without having to be re-authorized.

The Spaceway3 by Hughesnet has more downlink beams in the satellite to better distribute downlink bandwidth. The new ViaSat1's will use similar technology, but with a lot more bandwidth. And if proper on board switching is done, instead of you having to stick to one gateway, you would get shifted to a gateway nearest your Internet destination, to try and slightly reduce ping times. And I do mean slightly.

And with clouds, it's nice to have a bookmark to the weather radar for your location and your NOC(gateway). 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I had Hughes 117w bird 1050MHz for 7 years until finally telling off them for good, yesterday.

Have Wild Blue for 2 months and testing them side, WB is far superior.

I'm so happy now but who knows about the future.

Hughes fraud of slow down at exactly 3:01 pm cst until finally recovering at 11 pm cst.

That is an on purpose throttle down, heavier usage is ruled out, fraud down to near dial up 32K to 200K, computer controlled.

But 2 years ago, they have now dropped that policy.

These past 4 months Hughes has refused to transfer me to advanced support because the Indians saids it works half the time haha

Again rules out equipment.

2 years ago watching one of their commercials on TV, called and was able to get advanced support toll from them, amazing she couldn't believe was that slow.

Support via the telephone I was given a new transponder assignment and magic the speed was back until 4 months ago.

Same 117w bird, 1050MHz transponder is being over sold.

Point is and should be plan and simple, over usage of too many ppl on that assigned transponder for my past 4 months and to think every other customer was/is suffering the same pain.

Unfortunately didn't discover I could join here and keep the logs online.

Lost all my proof when my 2 month old, SSD HD died.

Still going to take serious action with the BBB and FCC, I'm beyond angry.

Yes they both have slow periods in the afternoon and it's all do over usage, nothing wrong with your equipment.

Just tested and will attempt to img, 1600 is my best, usually 1550 and getting what Im paying for, so happy with WB.

Oh, btw, soon to put TMN in my signature at G4 Tech Forums (285,000 members) where I've been for 15+ years.

marsh_0x

my.net/stats/id-OFZI4Kshare2-OFZI4K3ED

Your comparing WB Ka band to the Hughes older Ku band system.......not the Spaceway3 system.

Run the test many times thorughout the evening hours between 5pm-11pm est....be curious of the #'s. uploads too

It seems the prime time slow down problem is normally hidden on other forums.....? The scientist continue to insist on service calls and something must be wrong on the customers end.

I found this post on WB world....looks thinks are becoming more evident of capacity issues? http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3378

:idea:      Many new satellite users may not realize that if they are getting good speeds in the AM hours....and terrible speeds in the evening hours consistently its highly unlikely there is anything wrong with user equipment.

:idea:      Many new satellite users may not realize that if they are getting good speeds in the AM hours....and terrible speeds in the evening hours consistently its highly unlikely there is anything wrong with user equipment.

Many people can not see repeating patterns for whatever reason. I've noticed by reading the speedtests, is that uploads for satellite Internet are generally the same 24/7. While at the same time downloads float up and down. 

Thats a good post. Do an upload test and if it is too slow, then your dish may be out of alignment as an initial thing that support could see with their stats page. The next step would be the TRIA or modem after a dish adjustment, if it does not solve the problem automatically. 

I've noticed a few posts that have to do with modems that get stuck in a random reboot cycle. But what happens is a cable connector is not installed properly and a short happens between the wires.  But it causes a random effect, so not easily trouble shooted.

Another one is where the TRIA has mostly failed and when it heats up by direct sun, the TRIA will just shutdown, until the sun is no longer on the dish. Spraying the TRIA with a hose will cool it down and it should start working. 

But it comes down too. Does the customer believe 100% what support tells them? Since support must be telling the truth, Right?

But for $95 with an installer visit, your problems will magically go away.

"But it comes down too. Does the customer believe 100% what support tells them? Since support must be telling the truth, Right?

But for $95 with an installer visit, your problems will magically go away" direct quote from Zalternate.

:uglystupid2: Thats true, to the point of 24hrs after they leave and have soaked you $95.00 it goes right back to the same old s--t.  No change but they think you feel good and have a warm fuzzy feeling about your service... :uglystupid2:

Once again the tech called and cancelled the service call it is now rescheduled for next next Wednesday, the 13th, really getting annoyed.

Yep, it's hitting me hard, almost not acceptable.

]share2-XQ1TJDY23

:2funny: Hitting you hard...

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 95 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 12 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 121 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 15 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2010/01/07 - 7:06pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-D27HUZGR8

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-H3TMFVSAU

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

Be happy with what you are getting, could be a lot worse.

Sorry to hear that, because I'm a procrastinator haven't yet to call WB after over 2 months how to log into the usage/diagnostics  page due to the installer given password fails.

I feel very bad not having the facts and figures of the beam to northern Wisconsin, between Rhinelander and Tomahawk.

MODIFY, the package for $84, wanted the fastest unless there is a faster/more expensive ?

Yes, I'm still quite happy, tested again at 9:30pm cst, now if I can only figure out how to get a full img code copy without the extra steps of 2 copy/paste to a new text document on the desktop, sooner or later haha

Too many years spent in hell with Hughes and what you are going thru, just NOT fair.

Demand a transponder reassignment can be my best answer.

I always avoid crowds.

share2-LPN7IVD4T

I am on the pro plan(1536Kbps Down, 256Kbps Up), wasting 90 dollars a month for 6.2% of my "up-to" download speed and 47.3% of my "up-to" upload speed. I'm about ready to cancel and switch to dial-up so I can actually use the internet if this doesn't get fixed if the service tech ever actually keeps an appointment.

And what would a transponder reassignment do actually? Haven't the slightest idea what that is.

:idiot2: Well your Wildblue is what ever they want you to have and they less the better. :uglystupid2:

They figure that we have to have their service and we'll pay another great American Co. :tickedoff: Here is my last test for the evening....

share2-86BOU9ADV&dual=yes&q2=5SZ2MDQ3G

marsh_0x made the statement to have them change your transponder  location to ease overcrowding but they don't do that it is what it is.  I'm on beam 124 its the only beam that covers my area. :idiot2: :idiot2:

I'm glad you happy marsh_0x....myself would be calling in complaints. WB let the greed factor ruin what they had going over Hughes.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1972 Kbps about 2 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)

Download Speed is:: 241 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2010/01/07 - 9:38pm

Bottom Line:: 34X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.25 sec

Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 12.729 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 122.07 % faster than the average for host (DirecWay.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZGAN25UD1

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MDDC; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

::::::::::.. Upload Stats ..::::::::::

Upload Connection is:: 246 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 30 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2010/01/07 - 9:43pm

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 34.13 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 49.913 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 58.71 % faster than the average for host (DirecWay.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-X2OSP1TV9

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MDDC; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Ive never noticed a differnce in speeds with clouds or snow (as some note)?....but its putting the snow down here. 11:45pm EST

Too many years spent in hell with Hughes and what you are going thru, just NOT fair.

Demand a transponder reassignment can be my best answer.

I always avoid crowds.

Spot beams are in a certain area only(one beam for users area). Only other choice is to go to one of the other WildBlue satellites. Two choices only. And in some high use areas now 3 satellites for use. third satellite, EchoStar?s AMC-15. The new satellite, will servecustomers in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee,Kentucky, Georgia and Arkansas. http://wildblue.com/company/doPressReleaseDetailsAction.do?pressReleaseID=62

Spot beams can be closed to new installs due to being full. And that makes the installers hungry. So work then comes from repairs, which sometimes are not worth the installers time due to low payment. Or WildBlue makes the installer drive a hundred miles, or so, to another installers area. But good installers make sure to not have to do that, by contacting the user and making better arrangements, with a local installer.

And don't forget about the 'monthly rolling FAP'. Hit the FAP and go to really slow speeds for maybe two weeks, till FAP limit reduces(by reducing Internet use) to 70%, or pay to 'upgrade' to a higher package. New users on the basic bottom package have that happen quite a bit.

WildBlue FAP policy in PDF format.

http://wildblue.com/legal/fair.jsp

Hi, very interesting thread, very sorry to feel your  pain that will most likely happen to me in the future.

Been their done that with Hughes, to worse of whats been posted down to 32K for hours, no FAP involved except when done on purpose as their usage logs chart was garbage, haha for me to use but 5 meg/hour for 25 minutes online and varied in a 24 hour time frame is pure insanity.

I'm on 24/7, Hughes didn't have an answer why.

Good grief being a retired night owl, best I could download was 3 gigs in the free zone of 1am cst to 6 am cst.

Almost wishing to have both now, only option is to sell out and move closer to cable that will never happen.

Midnight test as expected is, not meaning to brag.

Guess my day will come, hopefully in the distant future...

1287 Kbps or 1.3 Mbps (157 kB/s)

Spot beams are in a certain area only(one beam for users area)

Hi zalternate. forgive me for not making the connection to a beam.

Best explained with a flashlight shining on the floor or wall.

Closer to light beam center the better for signal strength.

Has nothing to do with actual speed or equipment failure, digital is digital, either a perfect signal or none.

Still, being stuck on one frequency within that beam and that freq has too much traffic, your only chance is to get on a different transponder that is being used less.

Granted with Hughes the new bird using the 9000 modem is the different story, a friend has and still  doesn't experience the grief given us long time customers, figures once they owned us we belonged forever, which was a wrong answer.

Thankfully WB is competition.

Marsh

I would bust that bucket in an hour.

Also, just wait until Spaceway 3 starts filling up to the max, then post your speeds and pings. ;)

Check my prior post....I do not sugar coat my true experience, If Hughes is having speed issues its posted as so, any of the old timers on here can verify that.

As far as the bucket goes are you comparing it to DSL or cable......? Obviously no comparison we are talking satellite here.

compared to WB bucket do the math.....my speed my bucket, again Hughes more than WB.

Note: forgot to mention that Hughes now gives a free token once/ month for customers.  Go to the website enter a few numbers....reset FAP instant full speed again bucket empty.

- I'm not real concerned with what Hughes or WB is going to do a year from now.....rather more concerned with what service is being provided for my monthly fees today. My install and equipment was free with no contract, can leave at any time.

No I was comparing the "bucket" to WB and HughesNet.  Sorry you missed that.

Honestly, I don't know why you're so concern with WB anyways.  Doesn't make any sense.  You're not the one paying them every month for an unreliable service (for some people that post).  Why are you so hot and bothered?

You seem to forget that I once had HN, and the FAP and I didn't see eye to eye.  That's one reason why I switched.

No I was comparing the "bucket" to WB and HughesNet.  Sorry you missed that.

Honestly, I don't know why you're so concern with WB anyways.  Doesn't make any sense.  You're not the one paying them every month for an unreliable service (for some people that post).  Why are you so hot and bothered?

You seem to forget that I once had HN, and the FAP and I didn't see eye to eye.  That's one reason why I switched.

You were comparing Hughsenet bucket to Hughesnet and WB?  :icon_scratch:

-again do the math, with the free 2am-7am and free token/30days.

Sounds to me like you might be upset because the grass wasn't greener on the other side?  :shock:

Could you post some speeds?  :oops: 

note: dont forget to sign in out when testing.  :2funny: