New Computer, Mac Pro

dlewis23

So I bought a new Mac Pro the other week. I've had one at work for quite a while and loved it, but this is the newest revision, and the Nehalem Xeon's in this thing really make my old Mac Pro feel just so damn slow...

Specs:

2 x 2.26 Ghz Xeon 5520 (Nehalem)

6GB DDR3 Ram

2 x 640 GB Hard Drives

40GB Kingston Real SSD for OS an Programs

Redeon 4870 1 GB

Apple really made some nice improvements with this revision because it runs a little cooler then the previous generation. My Boss has a i7 at work and it runs really hot, but even with 2 of them, idle the system is about 27 C with the fans at ~500 RPM, under a load it only goes to about 35 C with fast ~ 1000 RPM.

It's really hard to hear the system at any point during the day, since every thing is rubber mounted, and the way the chassis is built there is some serious sound isolation going on here. Altho if I max the fans at 3000 RPM it does sound exactly like a jet engine starting up.

So far, after running a few things, this new Mac Pro is at least twice as fast as the one I'm using at work.

wait wait wait you spent all that money on a laptop and it didnt come with a ssd? as much talk that goes on in here about Mac and that laptop with that price didnt come with a ssd drive? so you spent about 1k worth of hardware and 1.1k for the mac name.

wait wait wait you spent all that money on a laptop and it didnt come with a ssd? as much talk that goes on in here about Mac and that laptop with that price didnt come with a ssd drive? so you spent about 1k worth of hardware and 1.1k for the mac name.

This isn't a laptop....

Also, its not $1000 worth of hardware. the processors alone are almost $800 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117185&cm_re=E5520-_-19-117-185-_-Product

The ram is $185 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134925

You can't buy the motheboard thats in it, but here is a dual processor board for $590 bucks - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182174&cm_re=dual_processor_motherborad-_-13-182-174-_-Product

Those 3 parts alone are over $1500 bucks. And that doesn't include everything from the GPU to the Chassis.

Im willing the bet I can copy that Mac for cheaper!

Go right ahead, build up a parts list. Even exclude the SSD.

There are 3 things you will never get, anything remotely close to the Chassis, the overall build quality, and the level of support incase there ever was a problem.

It's not just the hardware that goes into a mac. People always come and say I can build the same thing for cheaper, in some cases you can, and in others you can't. One of the ones where you can't is the 27in iMac, you can't even buy the screen they use it to match it.

On top of the fact the those that dont have a mac, or used one simply wont understand, the OS is specific to the hardware, so they work in unison, not just an OS , and try and find hardware that will work good with it for the best price. There's huge difference right there alone. But you cant tell anyone that until they have one of there own.

On top of the fact the those that dont have a mac, or used one simply wont understand, the OS is specific to the hardware, so they work in unison, not just an OS , and try and find hardware that will work good with it for the best price. There's huge difference right there alone. But you cant tell anyone that until they have one of there own.

true. i love reading mac vs pc arguments because both have good points most of the time...but IMO Mac is one of the best systems out there...i mean, i like my windows 7 toshiba notebook, but yeah if i could afford it, i'd also get a mac pro and use it for most everything.  :evil6:

And ............ once more like Ryan said, we can not all afford to waste dollars like that.  [nerdly]

It's not a waste when you actually use it, and want the best. The saying, "You get what you pay for" really does apply here.

If you want the best, there is usually a reason why it costs more. It's like with the helmet I bought for my bike, there is a reason why it costs $700, or its like buying a Runco TV, there is a reason why it costs 10 grand. It not wasting dollars.

Yes you get what you pay for this is true! You paid for something and can go only as far as they want you to go with that product!

But if you pay yourself, what you build can go further then what Retail has limited you to be!

No. I can still go as far as I want to go, because I can still upgrade if I so choose to. I can change just about everything in here. And if history holds, I will even be able to upgrade the processors to the 6 Core, Core i9/Xeon when they come out.

The only thing in the computer that I am technically limited to is the motherboard. Everything else can be upgraded/changed.

No. I can still go as far as I want to go, because I can still upgrade if I so choose to. I can change just about everything in here. And if history holds, I will even be able to upgrade the processors to the 6 Core, Core i9/Xeon when they come out.

The only thing in the computer that I am technically limited to is the motherboard. Everything else can be upgraded/changed.

Oh im sure you can upgrade certain parts but as you have said earlier the OS is tied to the hardware. So you are limited to what type of anything you want to swap out. So if the hardware is not Mac OS certified you cant really fully use it right.

Oh im sure you can upgrade certain parts but as you have said earlier the OS is tied to the hardware. So you are limited to what type of anything you want to swap out. So if the hardware is not Mac OS certified you cant really fully use it right.

That is actually not really true. Any windows compatible hardware will work in a mac, under windows. Most standard parts like, DVD/CD Drive, hard drive etc. will work under OS X. Most USB things like TV tuners, web cams and such will work, the exception was video cards, and that is actually changing.

And if you happen to find a USB device that wont work under OS X, you can start up Parallels or Vmware Fusion, and use it with in OS X using what ever windows software was required.

You can take many PC video cards and use them in a Mac under OS X now. All that is required is that you flash the video cards rom. Which now is really easy.

You just wont get the latest cards right away. Like there isn't a rom for a 5870 right now that I am aware of. You can use the card in a Mac, it just wont work under OS X.