Anyone tried Windows 7 yet? Is it worth it?

mstout24

hi, i was thinking about getting windows 7 just wanted to get some feedback on it, i know there were alot of mixed feelings about Vista. Also weres a good cheap place on the internet to buy a computer (i got a flatscreen, so i just need the tower) i looked at dell but they seem like alot of markup...Any thoughts are appreciated.....Thanks!

Been using Windows 7, since Beta and RC and then store version when it came out on for this new machine.

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. 8 gigs ram. 3 GHz cpu. Good graphics card.

No crashes yet. And everything(programs, peripherals) that I use, works. 

And Dell will get you in the 'upgrades' from the basic offering.

with this machine, I put a 'Microsoft' Windows 7 disc, so I do not have to deal with any of the crapware that PC makers put on their own discs and computers.

Upgraded 2 desktops and one laptop to windows 7, one of the desktops is an uprade from Vista Home Premium 64Bit to W7 Home Premium 64Bit. The system on vista used 1500KB of ram at idle now with W7 uses 998K at idle. I have also been using W7 since the beta.   No crashes or hangups on any of the 3 since the upgrades ...NEVER GOING BACK  8)

k...question...if a person upgrades from vista to windows 7...what happens to all the stuff that is already on your machine...pictures, programs, files, etc...???my son keeps telling me to switch...but i'm scared of losing my all stuff...sounds like forest gump...huh??

k...question...if a person upgrades from vista to windows 7...what happens to all the stuff that is already on your machine...pictures, programs, files, etc...???my son keeps telling me to switch...but i'm scared of losing my all stuff...sounds like forest gump...huh??

If it was me I'd backup everything I wanted to save and do a clean install. From what I've read it the best way to do it. You can do an upgrade with out loosing anything. It takes it a long time to do the job tho!

Guest jamesmusslewhite

I learned this on another forum I am active on and thought I would pass this along to the members of this forum.

Bill Gates has apparently hid a special feature in Windows 7 called the GodMode.

Go to Documents and then create a NEW FOLDER then right click that NEWFOLDER and rename it by copying and then pasting the below line andthen you will have every function all in one place.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options.

Amazing to have Everything you wanted in one place ! Its like a SUPER-CONTROL-PANEL

Sorry to the members that might take the name as offensive, I did not name it, Microsoft did.

Hi, I was beta tester from day one, sure that is purpose to make it better.

Some times frustrating, but remain impressed M$ actually listened.

Show desktop icon on the far right showed desktop when hovering but to then click another, reverts, unable to click, ah now you can click show desktop, bingo, full desktop. Now so easy can be done with eyes closed.

The task bar is now beautiful, to dismount a flash drive is 2 clicks, to change wifi routers (WB or Hughes) is again 2 clicks.

The snap feature you can have two open screens side by side.

M$ got their act together, fell again in love.

Win 7 64-bit upgrade from Vista 64-bit was so easy and fast, all programs/pix/docs etc, everything was there as I had before.

Only 2 Firefox extensions needed to be reinstalled.

Always a nice idea with doing a fresh install and start over, grr happens to me when losing a HD, your choice.

Looking to buy a new desktop, I will recommend you subscribe to New eggs e-mail flyer for some major discounts, example todays shell shocker, 30GB SSD 2.5" is $94.99 free shipping...http://www.newegg.com/special/shellshocker.aspx?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL011510&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL011510-_-MECH-_-EB2B-_-ShellShocker

I also have flyers from Tiger and Buy.com, grr deleted both prior, one had a destop for $325 that look nice, but I have no interest with today.

What's your budget limit ?

Marsh

I received my copy about a week before official release and I love it. I have a PC that came with the 64 version and using on my custom build pc the 32 version. Just make sure that you meet the minimum requirements and you should have barely no problems

tdawnaz,I upgraded from vista 64bit to windows 7 64 bit, the update was seamless.

All programs stayed in place as they were.

I would recommend running the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it will tell you what programs or hardware are not compatible.

**As always, back it up first** [geek]

Did you upgrade your install or do a clean install? If the upgrade did it work out ok for ya ? I did the fresh install. All seems to be ok fine. Been using windows 7 like most since the beta. Nice os. Stable. Runs well. 

I have been using Windows 7 since beta as well..and the beta ran better then vista. Now I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Its great. Everything runs so well

Current system

CPU: Core i7 920 (3.8Ghz)

RAM: 12gig DDR3 1600

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 285 1gig x2 (SLI)

HDD: 120gig OCZ SSD (system Drive)

I have been using Windows 7 since beta as well..and the beta ran better then vista. Now I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Its great. Everything runs so well

Current system

CPU: Core i7 920 (3.8GHz)

RAM: 12gig DDR3 1600

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 285 1gig x2 (SLI)

HDD: 120gig OCZ SSD (system Drive)

Have you had any problems with 32 bit stuff running on your 64 bit? Right now I have the 32 bit. Just worry about 32bit stuff  like games and stuff wont run.

Well I just found out my new backup software should support it no problem I may have to give the 64 bit a shot.

Acronis is to bloated and failed me twice, So never again. Nortons ghost 15 is Horrid. And My Favorite Nortons ghost 14 will not work with windows 7.

So I am trying Shadow Protect. Pretty happy. Program is simple, Works well, and reviews and Google seem to like it. Oh if your looking for it. Here is a Link. http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

You  can get a free 30 day trial, and you can request a full version trial, The full version trial will give you the boot cd.  Only one problem. Had trouble burning it. Finally burned the image file with  ImgBurn and it booted and worked fine. Nothing else seemed to work.