Ping Issues

Prucent

howdy googling my problem led me to here which thought maybe someone could fix my illogical problem

i am running win 7 and got an internet connection speed at 1500 ADSL1 (iinet is my isp), on average i am getting 100 ping to cod4 game servers relatively close to me yet i get hit with mass lag sometimes. I will randomly get spikes (no pattern in the timing at all) that i cannot explain, they will stick me to 350+ ping to these same game servers. When im hit with these spikes it is a global lag, my download rate goes down to about 10kbs from an average of 200kbs. My ping to all game servers goes to shit, even the local ones i normally get 30 to, and other games also experience this lag. Time for these spikes can vary from 10 seconds to 20 hours (longest Ive had), with them generally lasting over 30 mins.

ive tried many fixs which include checking modems/trying new ones, having isp come out and check lines to my house, removing all computers xept mine from network and checking, checking/trying new cables. (have a wireless router so Ive tried turning this off and changing wireless password making sure no1 is connected to me thru that), plugging modem into every phone line in the house. Completely wiping and reformatting computers to ensure its nothing virus related. Cooled modem/pc/router ensuring its not a heat problem. Changing ISP plans.

Ive tried all the fixes and checks that i can think of which would help, and not has resulted in any form of a solution. Would be highly apprieciated if you guys could help me out considering this has been happening for a year now and starting to get very frustrating when ur gaming to be hit by a spike of an increase from 100 ping to 400, which can last many hours D:

IF i have missed any required information sorry, please reply what im missing and ill try to add it in

Sounds as if you have put sometime into this issue, so I wont go into what you have already covered.

If the lines in your house are goo, and you have in fact went to the extent of changing the bandwidth plan, and reformatting, this leaves very few things.

My first thought is windows automatic update.

second is the lines from your house, to there equipment. And or there configuration thereof.

AT this point , if this were me, I would create another profile on my machine , simply for gaming. Spend some time shutting ALL unnecessary system processes down. Some of which will be system wide while your on it.

I haven't tried any of this with "" myself, so would you post your results and findings as you discover them  ?

second is the lines from your house, to there equipment. And or there configuration thereof.

AT this point , if this were me, I would create another profile on my machine , simply for gaming. Spend some time shutting ALL unnecessary system processes down. Some of which will be system wide while your on it.

I ruled out windows updates but probably wasnt investigated as much as possible, when i was doing some of the testing to check if it was a dodg modem etc i had a direct link from my phone line -> modem -> laptop with laptop picking up 0kbs dl/ul on DU meter(if unknown, program for recording dl/ul speed), so with no computers on teh net and laptop going at 0, doing a speed test my lag was still there, could have been investigated more as ive only done that 1 test, however i thought that was pretty hard proof it couldnt be them. ill give it another go turning them completely off and seeing how i go.

secondly,

not sure were this forum is located, so ill give some context, telstra is the australian company who run majority of the lines in aus, and then they rent them out to the other isps etc, ive had telstra come out and check my lines without any report of faults so i was assuming they checked out of the area, however my lines are fairly old as they can only support speeds of 1500, hence no adsl2 or even top end adsl.

i will give the barebone profile a try and see what happens. thanks a lot for the fast reply

What I think this may be, is simply the line path for your DSL. I'm not sure if they do this in AU, but in the US DSL ISP's put the line on a mode called interleaved, it checkes the packets to make sure everything is good with the packets, and by doing that it adds latency. When I had regular DSL I had my line on interleaved and my pings were 80 + all the time.

If that is the case, you have to get it switched over to a mode called Fast Path. Fast Path checks nothing, so your latency will drop a lot. When I got my DSL line switched over to Fast Path, my latency dropped to 30 - 40 ms ping times.

What I think this may be, is simply the line path for your DSL. I'm not sure if they do this in AU, but in the US DSL ISP's put the line on a mode called interleaved, it checkes the packets to make sure everything is good with the packets, and by doing that it adds latency. When I had regular DSL I had my line on interleaved and my pings were 80 + all the time.

If that is the case, you have to get it switched over to a mode called Fast Path. Fast Path checks nothing, so your latency will drop a lot. When I got my DSL line switched over to Fast Path, my latency dropped to 30 - 40 ms ping times.

I think ADSL 1 in Aus is the same as in the UK ,

my ADSL is running interleaved  due to line length ,  I get pings of 20 within the UK ,

fastpath would not be a wise option for me ,  (High FEC errors )

"The FEC count is the number of CORRECTED errors and in itself is not a problem. When your line is interleaved (rather than fast path) extra checksum bits are sent with each data packet which allows the receiving end to detect and correct FEC errors. "

Prucent , I found using a modem/router combo  ( Thompson 585v5 ) gave me

better speed /pings than useing a modem , far more stable , and the easy way to get and monitor line stats ,

yeh well ive called my isp AGAIN, and this time they are sending me out a new modem/router/wireless so it should allow me to test very well my entire network without need of my old routers/modems, as they are convinced that is the problem, if it fixes it ill post back, if not ima cry and rage at em to send someone out to see the fail.

Thanks, let us know how it goes ,

I can recomend some good Router stat programs , depending on the router you recieve ,

I recently  started a topic here http://www.testmy.net/forum/uk-and-european-providers/u-k-members-only-on-our-peculiar-adsl-broadband/msg319486/#new

it shows some collected stats , I unfortunatly headed it "UK members ",  but I think it applies to Australia also . it's where I got my Router firmware update from ,

While you are waiting , have you tried a quiet line test , ?

with the phone dial 0 , there should be very lttle or no noise , if you get static or crosstalk  that could be the problem , it lowers the signal to noise threshold,

not enough  to drop the router , but will bring things down to a near standstill