Vertical colored lines on Laptop

localpeon

My sisters laptop, Compaq nx6325  2006 model, running Windows XP, has vertical differrnt colored lines across the entire screen. They are various widths, but all under 1/32, there is no repeat in the pattern. You can operate the computer with out any problems, when you have a window open you can see through the lines. All drivers and XP are up to date. I opened the laptop in DOS and the lines are still there. Any ideas?  Two years ago she had black, white and blue vertical lines, I contactedHP and sthey had me download a fix and it worked. I called them and because her warranty was out, they would not respond.

Seems to be an issue that does not have a instant fix. But some say use only 1 gig of ram and no problem.

http://www.google.com/webhp#hl=en&source=hp&q=Compaq+nx6325+vertical+lines&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=&fp=ba0a4630ce98f7da

"if you remove the video driver and catalyst software, the problem will go away. Unfortunately this makes the VGA out inoperable."

So do you still know what the fix was last time? Have you tried that? Does HP have a forum?

Tommie,

Thank you for the response,

No , I do not have the earlier fix. Laptop is in LA and I am in Texas. Just got back from out there.

I had not tried their forum. After your suggestion I went to the HP forum and after posting the problem there. I also searched their posts but did not find anything similar.

Seems to be an issue that does not have a instant fix. But some say use only 1 gig of ram and no problem.

http://www.google.com/webhp#hl=en&source=hp&q=Compaq+nx6325+vertical+lines&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=&fp=ba0a4630ce98f7da

"if you remove the video driver and catalyst software, the problem will go away. Unfortunately this makes the VGA out inoperable."

zalternate,

Thank you for the post,

I went to the link and followed several on several pages, but did not find any solutions.

Tommie & All,

I got the following response from one of HP's high rated forum participants.

"If the vertical lines show up in both DOS and Window, then it means your physical LCD TFT panel is bad.

You can confirm my theory by connecting an external monitor or LCD panel via your VGA connector.

If the image is good, it further confirms your internal LCD panel is bad.

If the image is also bad, then it is your Graphics Controller."

I have forwarded this info to my sister and told her to get it checked out in LA. Therefore I am  done with the problem , at least for now.  Thank you all for ideas and suggestions.

Tommie & All,

"If the vertical lines show up in both DOS and Window, then it means your physical LCD TFT panel is bad.

You can confirm my theory by connecting an external monitor or LCD panel via your VGA connector.

I have forwarded this info to my sister and told her to get it checked out in LA. Therefore I am  done with the problem , at least for now.  Thank you all for ideas and suggestions.

Hmm, ok, but lets hope for a system glitch somewhere as others have had, as well as the same machine once already, hope you have time to update the thread when you get return info from sis.  Thanks :)

Tommie & All,

Typically, the LCD panel it self wont go bad unless it was hit. Smacking the screen hard can cause that. What really happens most of the time is the cable that goes from the motherboard to the display breaks. 1 maybe 2 wires of the several that go to the display will break from opening and closing.

Which ever it is your not fixing it. It will cost more to fix then the computer is worth. You could get a better notebook for less then you would pay for the display alone. Then you gotta find someone who knows how to work on a notebook because it's not like a desktop.

Typically, the LCD panel it self wont go bad unless it was hit. Smacking the screen hard can cause that. What really happens most of the time is the cable that goes from the motherboard to the display breaks. 1 maybe 2 wires of the several that go to the display will break from opening and closing.

Which ever it is your not fixing it. It will cost more to fix then the computer is worth. You could get a better notebook for less then you would pay for the display alone. Then you gotta find someone who knows how to work on a notebook because it's not like a desktop.

dlewis23,

Thank you for your post,

I will tell my sister what you said. I was afraid it was not going to be worth fixing.

Hmm, ok, but lets hope for a system glitch somewhere as others have had, as well as the same machine once already, hope you have time to update the thread when you get return info from sis.  Thanks :)

mudmanc4,

Thank you for your comments,

I will try to remember to update the thread, after she decides what to do.It may be awhile, knowing her.