video streaming issue

JH2688

Well, lately i've been trying to watch a lot of youtube videos, and its starting to become unviewable. I cannot get it to stream very well. I know my internet is not very fast or consistent. But i use to be able to watch youtube vids just fine. I even switch to the 360p version and it still will not load. for a 10 min video it probaly takes me 20 to watch it.

I was wondering if youtube was having issues streaming it or maybe its because my crappy internet. I'm able to watch videos on other sites just fine.

YouTube has issues sometimes if a lot of people are watching the same video or whatever server it's on is congested.

The only issue I have with Youtube is it will load halfway and then stop(the progress bar). Not all the time, but occasionally. I have a little tiny glitch in my line that causes that. Getting a new drop in a couple of months to see if it goes away. Not enough to bother with instantly. Maybe we will get a VDSL2 upgrade this year. :grin2:

So what I do is move the cursor to slightly ahead of the stop and it starts to load again, then just back up the cursor to the last viewed spot.

Whats your Internet connection anyways? ISP and are you connecting wireless or Ethernet. Mine is 6Mbps and before that 3Mbps.

It used to be having about 350Kbps was good to stream, but that has gone to about 600Kbps. And the high def stuff can be abouts 1.5Mbps.

I like to watch Cod mw2 videos that Machinama posts and a lot of people watch those, but I have the same problem with all the videos.

I got a advertised speed of 2 meg but lately I might reach .5 meg, I pretty much gave up on trying to tweak it, but maybe I should give it another try.

So kinda what your saying is to be able have a good stream you need around 600Kbps

I like to watch Cod mw2 videos that Machinama posts and a lot of people watch those, but I have the same problem with all the videos.

I got a advertised speed of 2 meg but lately I might reach .5 meg, I pretty much gave up on trying to tweak it, but maybe I should give it another try.

So kinda what your saying is to be able have a good stream you need around 600Kbps

If you use a bandwidth monitor on your desktop, you should be able to see what the stream is trying to run at.

Heres some quick examples. I also use a flash blocker to stop videos from instantly loading before I click to allow.

This video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCriOea4hD4

Spiked to about 3.8Mbps then tapered off quick as it was done loading.

This one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dkEBtxWo0&NR=1

spiked at 3.2Mbps then dropped to about 1.4Mbps stream

This one had initial peaks at 3.2Mbps and ran at about 1.8Mbps stream.

Note that the loading stream will run slightly faster than the viewing. So it prevents buffering.

My speeds seem to be up and down. It looked like once my speed went to about 1 meg that when the video stopped.I got a couple of screens shots of it, but Its not letting me upload them.

The speed graph does bounce a bit up and down. YouTube has some kind of detector of the connection speed me thinks.

And I know why attachments don't work.

You have used 14.41MB of 500K

100%

You have 214 attachments (100% used)

I'll post a note in the main forum for ca3le to see.