New Nvidia FX 6800

Swimmer

Hey all.... It has been a while but got some great news. Nvidia has just formally released the next generation of FX cards. The basic new about this new card is that it is between 25%-100% faster than the ATI 9800XT! This is accomplished by using 16 rendering pipelines instead of the ATI's 8. The stats are as follows.. The chip is the NV-40, the memory selections are going to be 128/256/512, clock speed is 400 MHZ, memory speed is 550 mhz, memory bandwidth is a mind blowing 35.2 GBs, and the base price at launch is going to be under $500. Which we all know what that means, $499.99.

Tom's Hardware has a great article on this bad boy, but I will give you a quick sample of the results. In UT2004 with all the eye candy turned on you can expect over 64FPS compair that with the 9800XT, 38.2fps, Ladies and gentalmen we have a new leader in the graphics world??? I think so...

O yeah by the way this card break 12,000 in 3DMark 2003 STOCK!!!

You make a very valid point... I played FarCry the other day... which has some pretty insane graphics.... maxed out all the options and still didn't drop the frame rate, I have yet to find a game that chops with my 9800 PRO ~~~ buuuuuut if ya gotta have the best of the best of the best... and need a 12 billion point mad onion score to brag about, I'm sure that card will be great........ for now, and I would imagine for at least a couple more years... I will be happy with my card.

What's funny is that I got this card a head of time to be ready for the release of half-life 2 and DOOM 3 ........ both of which never came out, I am starting to lose hope that half-life 2 will ever be released :( ~~ and DOOM 3 has been talked about since like 1967.. :haha:

:flipa: stupid ass release dates getting pushed out... it's only to make us more hyped for the real release, :whaa:

That is true.... We will see what ATI comes up with on the 23rd... My guess is that it is going to be sweet.... If you have a 9800pro there isnt really anyreason to upgrade.. It is one of the best cards ever made to begin with.

Hey all.... It has been a while but got some great news. Nvidia has just formally released the next generation of FX cards. The basic new about this new card is that it is between 25%-100% faster than the ATI 9800XT! This is accomplished by using 16 rendering pipelines instead of the ATI's 8. The stats are as follows.. The chip is the NV-40' date=' the memory selections are going to be 128/256/[b']512, clock speed is 400 MHz, memory speed is 550 MHz, memory bandwidth is a mind blowing 35.2 GBs, and the base price at launch is going to be under $500. Which we all know what that means, $499.99.

Tom's Hardware has a great article on this bad boy, but I will give you a quick sample of the results. In UT2004 with all the eye candy turned on you can expect over 64FPS compair that with the 9800XT, 38.2fps, Ladies and gentalmen we have a new leader in the graphics world??? I think so...

O yeah by the way this card break 12,000 in 3DMark 2003 STOCK!!!

Once again, it better beat the 9800XT, because that isn't "this generation", nor is it the answer to the 6800. That is where the x800XT comes in, and I think it will once again beat out Nvidia. Comparing this to the 9800XT is not complimenting the 6800 at all, it has every right to beat this card. If it still couldn't it would be a failure.

That is true... However, it never seems that both companies are in the same generation most of the time. When we had the leap from the TI cards to the FX series that was like compairing apples to bananas... Is it fair to pit a FX 6800 vs. a 9800XT? I think so.. If you are looking for the best card on the market it doesnt matter what generation it is. It is like compairing a BMW to a Ford. You might see BMW technology in a Ford but my guess it that it is "old" technology. Yet both cars are the same model year. This is the most explosive and changing sector in computers. You dont see AMD or Intel releasing new models about every 3-5 months. But ATI and Nvidia can do this because they can afford it. The serious gamer is willing if the increase in the quality and speed are there to shell out $500 for the latest and greatest. Do I think that the standard user needs to shell out $500 for a new card every 3-5 months. Hell no! That is insane and most people will never see the difference between the 9800pro and the 9800xt. Most people dream about owning one! I have no doubt that ATI is going to release a kick ass card on Monday the 26th of April. But it is also going to change computers as we know it. This new card the R880XT is going to be developed on the PCI express standard. Meaning that the 8x AGP version is going to be to slow for what the card can really do.

As far as pushing cards to their max I think that we have reached the max on most of the cards that are not Directx 9 compatible. I dont seem many more games being released that are not going to use shadowing or some of the cool other effects. The frame rates might be there but the quality isnt going to be as good as others. If you say that you are not into quality then I have a 8mb ATI AGP card that I would like to sell you...

Well yeah, you can compare them, it's just that most people praise this card like it just killed ATi totally already, as if they don't know what is being released by ATi next. Not insinuating that you did, I'm just saying.

The PCI Express models also come out later on I think.

Right the PCI Express it due out later after the launch... We need mobos that support pci exress before we can have any hardware. The praise thing always happens... ATI release the 9800xt... All the praise went to that card.. Then the FX5950 came out... Praise switched.... It is back to the old addage that every week something new, faster, and more expensive is out.