Power Saver Settings On Windows 7?

wyantm06

Okay, so I went and bought a new laptop. A Toshiba A505, and I love it. Anyways noticing it has the same power saving settings as Vista does, I was wondering how much power does your PC lose when you switch it from High Performance to balanced? Also will my battery get junk quicker leaving it plugged in a lot? Thanks. Anyone looking for a new good laptop the Toshiba a505 is excellent!

Okay, so I went and bought a new laptop. A Toshiba A505, and I love it. Anyways noticing it has the same power saving settings as Vista does, I was wondering how much power does your PC lose when you switch it from High Performance to balanced? Also will my battery get junk quicker leaving it plugged in a lot? Thanks. Anyone looking for a new good laptop the Toshiba a505 is excellent!

Wow. This would be my first time on these new forums. Do not many people come here?

Edited by wyantm06

Wow. This would be my first time on these new forums. Do not many people come here?

its just been a slow day.

anyway to help you out, i also have the toshiba a505 series laptop. basically if you take it from power save up to high performance or even up to just balanced, you're losing about an hour worth of life. you can tamper with the settings though like screen brightness, etc. but power save on my laptop (same series) gets me about 4 hours, no joke. high performance gives me about an hour and 45 minutes max, so there is a little comparison.

also, if you leave your laptop plugged in every day all day when you use it, it will probably lose some life expectancy. here is an article i posted on another topic about battery life.

* Lithium-ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect. They also have a self-discharge rate of approximately 5-10% per month, compared to over 30% per month in common nickel metal hydride batteries, approximately 1.25% per month for Low Self-Discharge NiMH batteries and 10% per month in nickel-cadmium batteries.[32] According to one manufacturer, lithium-ion cells (and, accordingly, "dumb" lithium-ion batteries) do not have any self-discharge in the usual meaning of this word.[23] What looks like a self-discharge in these batteries is a permanent loss of capacity (see Disadvantages of Traditional Li-ion Technology section). On the other hand, "smart" lithium-ion batteries do self-discharge, mainly due to the small constant drain of the built-in voltage monitoring circuit.

[edit] Disadvantages of traditional Li-ion technology

[edit] Shelf life

* A disadvantage of lithium-ion cells is their poor cycle life: upon every charge or recharge, deposits form inside the electrolyte that inhibit lithium ion transport. Over time, the capacity of the cell diminishes. The increase in internal resistance affects the cell's ability to deliver current. This problem is more pronounced in high-current applications. The increasing capacity hit means that a full charge in an older battery will not last as long as one in a new battery (although the charging time required decreases proportionally, as well).

* Also, high charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether resulting from charging or being ambient) hasten permanent capacity loss for lithium-ion batteries.[33][34] The heat generated during a charge cycle is caused by the traditional carbon anode, which has been replaced with lithium titanate. Lithium titanate has been experimentally shown to drastically reduce the degenerative effects associated with charging, including expansion and other factors.[35] See "Technology improvements" below.

* At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 °C or 77 °F will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However, a battery in a poorly ventilated laptop may be subject to prolonged exposure to higher temperatures, which will shorten its life. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively.

SOURCE

hope this helps

edit/ also, i've had my laptop since the day windows 7 was released (last october...23rd i think) and ive seen a small dip in my battery life...i leave my laptop plugged in all day every day when i use it. only is unplugged usually when its not on....and ive seen my battery life go from 4 hours max on power save to 3 hours max. so thats something to keep in mind also. By the way, im assuming your battery is a 6 cell just like mine.

Edited by starship_troopers

ooooooh Ryan... One more post and ya got 3k!

Yeah, the site has a pretty major following. Some people just browse through and read... other just test their speed. But at any given time there is usually at least a thousand or so people active on the site each hour.

You have to also note that this forum has recently been upgraded and many people are still getting the hang of how to find new posts and how to navigate and such. (btw, easiest way to view new content is to hit the 'View New Content' link at towards the top of the pages... sounds like a no brainer but some people aren't used to that yet...).

Keep visiting, soon the forums will be super active again. TONS of very qualified individuals are members here and love to answer questions. [nerdly] Wealth of knowledge.

- Damon

- Site Owner / Chief Administrator

ooooooh Ryan... One more post and ya got 3k!

Yeah, the site has a pretty major following. Some people just browse through and read... other just test their speed. But at any given time there is usually at least a thousand or so people active on the site each hour.

You have to also note that this forum has recently been upgraded and many people are still getting the hang of how to find new posts and how to navigate and such. (btw, easiest way to view new content is to hit the 'View New Content' link at towards the top of the pages... sounds like a no brainer but some people aren't used to that yet...).

Keep visiting, soon the forums will be super active again. TONS of very qualified individuals are members here and love to answer questions. [nerdly] Wealth of knowledge.

- Damon

- Site Owner / Chief Administrator

Nice. Alright appreciate the info! My a505 gets about 3 hours 45 minutes on high performance and 4 hours 30 minutes on balanced. Wow since knowing you have the same laptop, do you have the extended battery? What I mean is the one which makes it sit up more in the back. Also it is a bigger cell battery I believe. But reason I ask is because my battery has major play in it. Just curious to see because my friend also bought the same one as me and his is really loose as well. Again thanks for the info tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Alright appreciate the info! My a505 gets about 3 hours 45 minutes on high performance and 4 hours 30 minutes on balanced. Wow since knowing you have the same laptop, do you have the extended battery? What I mean is the one which makes it sit up more in the back. Also it is a bigger cell battery I believe. But reason I ask is because my battery has major play in it. Just curious to see because my friend also bought the same one as me and his is really loose as well. Again thanks for the info tho.

Okay this question is for the dude who has the a505. Or anyone that may know the issue. Okay ever since I owned this laptop I have been having this small issue. When ever I get to doing a bunch of things, sometimes my mouse will freeze up for a very few seconds and then everything will be good again. Any clue why this would do this? I donno if it is something I should be worried about n take the laptop back or what. I'd rather not take the laptop back because I just broke this bad boy in and am in love with it.

Don't have a Toshiba, but in the few weeks I've had mine, I've been letting to battery run down, then recharging it while in use. If I have the notebook on for 9 or 10 hours, I'll let it run from a full charge down to when the 10% warning appears, then plug it back in until it shows 100%. I get about 2 1/2 hours, but it's a 17" wide screen (Gateway N79u).

Okay this question is for the dude who has the a505. Or anyone that may know the issue. Okay ever since I owned this laptop I have been having this small issue. When ever I get to doing a bunch of things, sometimes my mouse will freeze up for a very few seconds and then everything will be good again. Any clue why this would do this? I donno if it is something I should be worried about n take the laptop back or what. I'd rather not take the laptop back because I just broke this bad boy in and am in love with it.

hey man, i had that problem with a505 when i first got it, but honestly it seemed like it only happened when i had the touch pad on. but after a while it just stopped happening. not sure what it was, but i'll do some research and testing to see if i can figure out what fixed it.

also you had a question a while back about my battery. mine is just a 6 cell, so it fits nicely in the back without sticking out like the 9 cell does.

i know that every once in a while my sound will act weird. it'll like glitch then catch up with its self then run fine again for who knows how long. its weird, i still havent figured that out either.

but i'll let you know what i find out about the mouse. :smile2:

hey man, i had that problem with a505 when i first got it, but honestly it seemed like it only happened when i had the touch pad on. but after a while it just stopped happening. not sure what it was, but i'll do some research and testing to see if i can figure out what fixed it.

also you had a question a while back about my battery. mine is just a 6 cell, so it fits nicely in the back without sticking out like the 9 cell does.

i know that every once in a while my sound will act weird. it'll like glitch then catch up with its self then run fine again for who knows how long. its weird, i still havent figured that out either.

but i'll let you know what i find out about the mouse. :smile2:

Mine does the same thing with the sound every once and a blue moon bro. I guess just some minor glitches! Ordered me a Microsoft Mobile 6000 mouse anyway for $29.99, so I will be using that more often.

Mine does the same thing with the sound every once and a blue moon bro. I guess just some minor glitches! Ordered me a Microsoft Mobile 6000 mouse anyway for $29.99, so I will be using that more often.

it just hit me that i also have that same mouse. and it hasnt happened with me while using this mouse yet. (the mouse issue) so perhaps your problem would be solved as well! if not post back and i'll help ya figure it out! [nerdly]:smile2:

it just hit me that i also have that same mouse. and it hasnt happened with me while using this mouse yet. (the mouse issue) so perhaps your problem would be solved as well! if not post back and i'll help ya figure it out! [nerdly]:smile2:

Yeah, I just got this mouse via FedEx this morning. I been using it all day at work, and love it! So far no lock ups.

Okay, I fixed the sound issue...I had to pull the battery...very interesting...

every once in a blue moon i have to restart my computer because when i turn it on its either no sound or my wireless net wont pick up. a restart fixes it for me, but like i said its so rare i havent tried to figure out why it happens. is this the first time its happened for you?

every once in a blue moon i have to restart my computer because when i turn it on its either no sound or my wireless net wont pick up. a restart fixes it for me, but like i said its so rare i havent tried to figure out why it happens. is this the first time its happened for you?

Yes, first time. BUT I tried restarting and nothing. I had to dig deep on Google lol. I could not get sound until I pulled the battery and restarted that way. Anyways, i am having this mouse lock up more now :angry4: today since I been home since 6 it froze on me 3 times. now by freezing I mean a quick 1-3 second pause...The mouse just stops for a second or 2 and boom it's back, but it is very noticeable and annoying! I donno if this is a simple fix or should I just be pissed and lose everything I installed so far and get a new one before my 30 days is up.

Yes, first time. BUT I tried restarting and nothing. I had to dig deep on Google lol. I could not get sound until I pulled the battery and restarted that way. Anyways, i am having this mouse lock up more now :angry4: today since I been home since 6 it froze on me 3 times. now by freezing I mean a quick 1-3 second pause...The mouse just stops for a second or 2 and boom it's back, but it is very noticeable and annoying! I donno if this is a simple fix or should I just be pissed and lose everything I installed so far and get a new one before my 30 days is up.

HeyWyntam06 whats happinin man :)

I'm thining watch your system stats while this mouse issue is happening, se is something is maxed, like the memory, cpu what have you. Something might be consuming too much of whats there. Watch the network traffic as well.

Could you post your findings ?

HeyWyntam06 whats happinin man :)

I'm thining watch your system stats while this mouse issue is happening, se is something is maxed, like the memory, cpu what have you. Something might be consuming too much of whats there. Watch the network traffic as well.

Could you post your findings ?

My stats seem to be running normal when it does it. My buddy who got the identical laptop has his next to mine everyday, and it seems like mine does it when the fan kicks in high gear or something...Or does it more when it is runner hotter. His does it, but not as often. Ugh...

My stats seem to be running normal when it does it. My buddy who got the identical laptop has his next to mine everyday, and it seems like mine does it when the fan kicks in high gear or something...Or does it more when it is runner hotter. His does it, but not as often. Ugh...

Still having the issue if anyone finds anything out. I hope this doesn't continue or I wish I could at least figure the issue. It is bothering me and I bet I am going to have to end up sending it into Toshiba. Btw I didn't have any issues today, I donno I wish I had a stat recorder or something to figure out what it is doing when it lags up...

Still having the issue if anyone finds anything out. I hope this doesn't continue or I wish I could at least figure the issue. It is bothering me and I bet I am going to have to end up sending it into Toshiba. Btw I didn't have any issues today, I donno I wish I had a stat recorder or something to figure out what it is doing when it lags up...

Did anyone figure anything out about my issue? I haven't yet so I assume no one else did lol...but I will appreciate it a lot when someone does find anything out please let me know.