Be Your Own Isp.

Shug7272

http://trueslant.com/kylebrady/2010/04/08/be-your-own-isp/

I found this pretty interesting. Made me think about what me and my 10 neighbors could have with no isp to bother with. :)

I've read a few stories over the years of one person bringing in a T1 line(or two) and then secure WiFi to the neighbors. Which makes it affordable.

Another one I read had to do with an apartment building with real slow cable Internet. So they pulled in some new phone lines and put a server in the building and enjoyed way faster Internet that was better than the cable, that the cable company would not repair and upgrade.

And no worries about getting sued by the CableCo's to prevent you from doing it, since you are not a town.

I've read a few stories over the years of one person bringing in a T1 line(or two) and then secure WiFi to the neighbors. Which makes it affordable.

Another one I read had to do with an apartment building with real slow cable Internet. So they pulled in some new phone lines and put a server in the building and enjoyed way faster Internet that was better than the cable, that the cable company would not repair and upgrade.

And no worries about getting sued by the CableCo's to prevent you from doing it, since you are not a town.

Dont forget this IS America.... Your never really safe from being sued.

Dont forget this IS America.... Your never really safe from being sued.

Oh you have not heard about a Canadian prick company that made up a bunch of patents on wireless communications and then makes it's money by suing and settling out of court.

And the legitimate patent of a product is still F*cked. You could almost patent breast cancer genes... Oh Wait. Someone has already done that and it is now being reviewed.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/04/wi-lan_sues_big_name_companies_over_wi-fi_patent_issues.html?

Wi-Lan Inc, a Canadian technology licensing company, seems to be feeling rather brave, as it has filed a lawsuit accusing a good number of big name companies on the market of patent infringement. The company has targeted the likes of Apple, Gateway, Toshiba, HP and Intel, accusing them of violating three patents which deal primarily with Wi-Fi technology and power saving technology for DSL products. The company said in a statement that it wants the defendants to sign licensing agreements with Wi-Lan for the rights to use its technology. In case you were wondering, the three patents are patent numbers 5,282,222, RE37802 and 5,956,323.

Edited by zalternate

Truest words ever spoken!!!:wink:

:)

Oh you have not heard about a Canadian prick company that made up a bunch of patents on wireless communications and then makes it's money by suing and settling out of court.

And the legitimate patent of a product is still F*cked. You could almost patent breast cancer genes... Oh Wait. Someone has already done that and it is now being reviewed.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/04/wi-lan_sues_big_name_companies_over_wi-fi_patent_issues.html?

LMAO sounds about right.

Could this be viable as a means of Data,voice, and television service all rolled into your isp?

The way I understand it you would basically get a fat pipe to the net with no isp between. You could use/set up your own web based tv and phone but it would be some work and you probably wouldnt get "tv" like you are envisioning. :)