Laptop Ram Help...plz

wyantm06

I have two toshiba laptops (not my a505), I am trying to take ram from the one and supe the other up. The one is PC2-4200s-444-12 and PC2-6400s-666-12...I am almost positive it won't work but would like to know. If it DON'T work can someone link me or explain how to tell if one ram will work in the other?? Thanks a lot...I am sorry people I know I am a pain in the ass on these forums!

i also forgot to add, by looking at the two the pins match....But I don't wanna be blowing anything up.

Edited by wyantm06

I have two toshiba laptops (not my a505), I am trying to take ram from the one and supe the other up. The one is PC2-4200s-444-12 and PC2-6400s-666-12...I am almost positive it won't work but would like to know. If it DON'T work can someone link me or explain how to tell if one ram will work in the other?? Thanks a lot...I am sorry people I know I am a pain in the ass on these forums!

i also forgot to add, by looking at the two the pins match....But I don't wanna be blowing anything up.

if they are both ddr 2 it should work but be advised it will only work at the lower speed as it is backward compatable

if they are both ddr 2 it should work but be advised it will only work at the lower speed as it is backward compatable

exactly.

and i would also add, if you can not find a way to find out what ram type it is for each, you can download the memory checker from crucial's website and it will tell you. such as it might be ddr2 pc5300 or something like that. and like rayj said, whichever is the slower one is what both will work at.

Its either going to work or its not. But it wont Blow anything up.

The only reason it may not work is because its 4200 DDR2. I've seen a lot of computers not work with slower DDR2. The Cut off was 5300, with 800 MHz ram. But it can't hurt to try.

Just to add. You probably will notice a performance difference with memory intensive apps.

Its either going to work or its not. But it wont Blow anything up.

The only reason it may not work is because its 4200 DDR2. I've seen a lot of computers not work with slower DDR2. The Cut off was 5300, with 800 MHz ram. But it can't hurt to try.

Just to add. You probably will notice a performance difference with memory intensive apps.

just to add one more thing. i do know that ram types such as 2700 ddr2 works great with 2100 ddr2, without really having a slowdown. or at least that ive noticed.

just to add one more thing. i do know that ram types such as 2700 ddr2 works great with 2100 ddr2, without really having a slowdown. or at least that ive noticed.

Thats because the difference between 266 DDR and 333 DDR is minimal. But going from 800 MHz to 533 MHz DDR2 its a quite a bit bigger difference and its not just the MHz rating that factored into it.

Thats because the difference between 266 DDR and 333 DDR is minimal. But going from 800 MHz to 533 MHz DDR2 its a quite a bit bigger difference and its not just the MHz rating that factored into it.

yeah, i probably should have said that those two kinds were pretty similar instead of just saying they work great together, thanks for adding to it. :icon_salut:

Yeaaaa....Got it da one Tosiba at 3 now which is better than the 2 it had.

Hmm I wonder if I added another 2GB to my Toshiba a505 if it would make that big of a difference. On my meter it says my laptop is only using like 2.6 GB of the 4 GB is had anyways so I am assuming it would be useless. N if I did this I will have to buy a 4 GB stick of ram because the a505 only has 2 slots.

Hmm I wonder if I added another 2GB to my Toshiba a505 if it would make that big of a difference. On my meter it says my laptop is only using like 2.6 GB of the 4 GB is had anyways so I am assuming it would be useless. N if I did this I will have to buy a 4 GB stick of ram because the a505 only has 2 slots.

Will it handle that much Ram? Also what is the full model number (a505-****)?

Yeah it will handle it. It is able to handle up to 8GB. The model is a505-s6005.

here's what i found

* Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 maximum RAM capacity: 8GB

* Your Toshiba has Two (2) memory slots or sockets

* Module upgrade PIN count is: 204-PIN

* The memory speed is: DDR3 1066MHz, PC3-8500

* The Laptop, Notebook DIMM type for the Satellite A505-S6005 is: SODIMM, SO-DIMM, Small Outline DIMM

* Non ECC

SOURCE