Action Explornet To Provide What We Pay For

nbtt

I'm brand new here, and I would like to share what I have experience with. Yesterday, I posted a similar message under Xplornet Speeds, but perhaps it's more appropriate to post this as a new topic.

Xplornet is not one of the ISP's who voluntarily fall under the oversight of CRTC regulations, nor is it a member of the Better Business Bureau, but the Maritime BBB will process Xplornet complaints of behalf of those customers who have exhausted all other complaints procedures.

My fixed wireless is anything but the 3mb/600kb package I pay for.

I have been their customer since 2008 and have logged more hours with attempting to resolve my service issues than time I spend with my own mother!!!

Xplornet is NOT one of the member ISP's which would fall under the CRTC, so all of their "traffic shaping" they do, cannot be challenged through that route.

I have sent a complaint to the Maritime Better Business Bureau, as this is where their head office is located, although I live in eastern Ontario, and am waiting for a response.

Yesterday they sent the same 2 techs back who initially installed my service. They first found some problem with signal strength, but as soon as Xplornet's tower saw the tech's pc with the proprietary testing software, POOF... the speed was back to snuff. They did a "re-point", only to say that they actually did something, but an hour after they left with my signature on their work order, the speed had been throttled back to unacceptable limits.

Here is the link for filing a complaint with the Maritime Better Business Bureau, but be forewarned, their site and complaint information intake methods really suck, so be prepared for some copy and pasting.

Maritime BBB Complaint

Once the complaint is filed, I did receive a prompt response from the individual responsible at the BBB.

If anyone who is a dissatisfied Xplornet customer;

1) files a complaint with the Maritime BBB HERE

2) sends a copy of the complaint to their Federal Member of Parliament , you can look them up HERE

Your Federal MP may be reluctant, but at very least send them copies of all of your complaints against Xplornet and be sure to let them know many others are doing the same

3) try to coordinate any and all discussions of these complaints here in this forum

4) I'm not sure I'm up to the task, but we should discuss forming an oversight group with specific points of contact, unless testmy.org would like to rake on this responsibility

No one wants more Government, but maybe it's time for the Feds to ensure the ISP's are at least playing fair and delivering the promised services to their customers.

If we can begin a cohesive complaint body while remaining lawful and objective, we may actually begin to receive the internet services we were sold and are over paying for.

Cheers, and I'll hopefully be checking in to this forum daily (mon-fri)

nbtt

Xplornet makes more than enough money to be a member of the http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/ , But for whatever reason, no one has forced them to join yet.

And for whatever other reason, is documents for some Government funded wireless roll outs have been sealed from the public and that should be a crime. All government money documents, must be open to the public. And the public has to keep suing the government to obtain those documents over the years, due to government corruption.

A 100 million dollars for 2008, was the expected revenue for Xplornet. And their private equity firm in NewYork probably loves it.

From 2004 and Xplornet went live with Telesat Satellite(reseller) in May 2005.

http://www.sandlercap.com/news_dec2104a.asp

Barrett Xplore announces $30 million financing,

targets wireless broadband access in every underserved home and business in Canada

WOODSTOCK - December 21st, 2004

Barrett Xplore Inc. of Woodstock, N.B. - Canada's largest and fastest growing wireless broadband service provider - has completed a major financing agreement with Sandler Capital Management, New York, that will revolutionize high-speed Internet access for unserved and underserved markets across Canada.

"This new financing - at $30 million (Canadian), one of the largest private equity placements in the Canadian communications sector in the past several years - will enable Barrett Xplore to continue our growth in high-speed wireless ISP services through aggressive development of our Xplornet brand," said Bill Barrett, Chairman. "Our focus is to establish Canada's first wireless broadband network for all homes and businesses in rural, remote and First Nations communities, as well as suburban areas, anywhere in Canada."

"We are very excited about our partnership with Barrett Xplore," said David Powers, Managing Director, Sandler Capital Management. "The company has established an impressive track record of bringing consumer-focused technology-related products to underserved markets through its nationwide deployment of satellite video across Canada. In recent years, the company has built on this success by developing an impressive expertise in satellite and fixed wireless broadband service deployment. The new equity financing will facilitate the rollout of the company's broadband services through its unparalleled dealer network across unserved and underserved communities in Canada. Its unique broadband offering is complemented by an outstanding entrepreneurial team that will make Barrett Xplore an even more significant enterprise in the years to come."

"Our vision is for Xplornet to be Canada's leading wireless ISP able to bring high-speed Internet solutions to Canadians no matter where they live," said Barrett. "To help us meet our goal, we have recently signed a significant equipment contract with Motorola."

"This multi-million dollar contract is the result of many months of hard work between both our companies. We are excited about being able to supply Barrett Xplore with technology that provides high-speed fixed wireless broadband connectivity," said Tony Kobrinetz, Vice President and General Manager of Motorola's Canopy Wireless Broadband Group.

With the new financing, Barrett Xplore will accelerate its rollout of the first fixed wireless high-speed Internet service that provides cost-effective, top quality broadband access to underserved areas nationwide. The company also recently announced the Canadian launch of Tachyon, the first high-speed carrier-grade satellite network designed for small-to-medium sized business and government operations.

For further information:

Bruce Barr, CEO

Barrett Xplore Inc.

905-792-6057

About Barrett Xplore

Barrett Xplore Inc. - through its Xplornet brand - is Canada's largest and fastest growing wireless broadband service provider. Through a combination of industry leading technology, superior high-speed service delivery and best in class customer service, Xplornet will bring the advantages of broadband connectivity to underserved businesses and residences across Canada, no matter where they are located. Additionally, Barrett Xplore has built a strong platform in the sales and distribution of consumer electronics products and accessories for leading brands such as Star Choice, Philips and Fellowes. Barrett Xplore is a privately held company owned by Barrett Corporation of Woodstock, New Brunswick and Sandler Capital Management, New York. For more information, please visit www.xplornet.com and www.barrettxplore.com.

About Sandler Capital Management

Sandler Capital Management, a registered Investment Advisor, has managed both hedge funds and private equity funds since 1980 and 1989, respectively. The firm has $1.5 billion in combined assets under management and uninvested commitments (including approximately $150 million of uninvested committed capital for new private equity investments). Sandler's private equity effort focuses on three core industry sectors: traditional media, telecommunications/data communications, and enterprise communications. Within its areas of industry expertise, Sandler employs a multi-stage investment strategy. Sandler's investment professionals have over 200 years of combined experience as research analysts, portfolio managers, financial advisors, investment bankers, and private equity investors.

Edited by zalternate

Adding that the rural connections funding program of the government, says that minimum speeds are to be 1.5Mbps, which Xplornet(as a fund user) is not adhering to according to various user posts. 'Burst' or 'up to' speeds should not be applicable. The sustained speed of Xplornet wireless is the problem. 600Kbps sustained speed for the 1.5 Mbps package. And 700Kbps sustained speed for the 3Mbps package. http://www.xplornet.com/legal/xplornet-traffic-management-policy.aspx

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ic1.nsf/eng/04943.html

Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians Launches its Call-for-Applications Process

OTTAWA, September 1, 2009 — Industry Canada today announced the launch of the call‑for‑applications process for Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians. The call for applications follows the formal program launch announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on July 30, 2009.

The program will consider applications to provide service to as many unserved and underserved Canadians as possible, allowing them to participate in the digital economy by giving them access to information, services and opportunities that would otherwise be out of reach. For unserved and underserved Canadians, the program represents an important improvement in service.

Applications will be evaluated against a series of criteria with emphasis on best value and most households served. Applications must also show capacity to deliver within the timeframe and demonstrate a viable business model.

Successful applicants will receive federal support equalling up to 50 percent of their one‑time costs. Such costs include the purchase, adaptation or upgrade of equipment, hardware or software; long-term investments in network capacity (such as the lease of satellite transponder capacity); network deployment costs; and other costs directly related to extending broadband infrastructure.

Potential applicants have until October 23, 2009, to submit proposals to extend service to the geographic service areas that were identified as part of an extensive mapping process that took place earlier this summer.

Successful proposals are expected to be announced in late 2009 to early 2010, with project builds starting as soon as possible in 2010.

More information about this program is available on the Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians website. You are also encouraged to learn more about Canada’s Economic Action Plan.

For further information (media only), please contact:

Laryssa Waler

A/Press Secretary

Office of the Honourable Tony Clement

Minister of Industry

613-995-9001

September 1, 2009

Backgrounder

Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians — Call for Applications

Budget 2009 — Canada’s Economic Action Plan provides $225 million to Industry Canada to develop and implement a strategy to extend and improve broadband coverage. The goal of this investment is to extend broadband service to as many remaining unserved and underserved Canadian households as possible.

Industry Canada defines unserved Canadians as those without Internet access or with dial-up service only. Underserved Canadians may be able to access the Internet using a connection with a speed less than 1.5 megabits per second (Mbps).

Under this call for applications, participating providers will be expected to provide broadband service of at least 1.5 Mbps to currently unserved and underserved Canadian households.

At 1.5 Mbps, a customer can make a voice call over the Internet, download an audio CD in seven minutes and experience video-quality streaming / video conferencing. It is also possible to use multiple applications at the same time, enabling consumers to make a voice-over-Internet telephone call while downloading a document.

As communities vary greatly in size, this program focuses on connecting households. This method also provides a clearer understanding of service availability for Canadians; the fact that one part of a community has broadband access does not always indicate service is available to all households in that community.

Broadband Canada will work with the private sector or consortiums of companies, not-for-profit organizations and provincial/territorial entities that build and operate broadband infrastructure to extend broadband coverage to areas that do not currently have broadband access. The Broadband Canada program will provide a one-time, non-repayable contribution to support the expansion of current infrastructure in the defined areas where there is currently no business case for Internet service providers moving forward on their own.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission reported that, as of 2008, 94 percent of Canadian households had access to broadband. A significant gap exists, however — 22 percent of rural households lack broadband access. While all households are within the range of satellite service, existing satellite capacity can provide service to only 1 percent of households.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/719.nsf/eng/home

Broadband Canada: Connecting Rural Canadians

Program Update

April 1, 2010 - The Broadband Canada program has now completed its assessment of applications.

All applicants will be notified within the coming weeks as to the status of their applications, and this website will be updated to provide information on new developments.

As part of Canada's Economic Action Plan, $225 million was provided to Industry Canada over three years to develop and implement a strategy to extend broadband coverage to as many unserved and underserved households as possible, beginning in 2009-2010.

Broadband internet access is viewed as essential infrastructure for participating in today's economy, as it enables citizens, businesses and institutions to access information, services and opportunities that could otherwise be out of reach.

The Broadband Canada program’s goal is to encourage the expansion and availability of broadband connectivity to as many currently unserved and underserved households in Canada as possible. The program aims to provide essential infrastructure to Canadians in rural and remote areas allowing them to participate in the Internet economy by getting access to information, services and opportunities that would otherwise be out of reach.

To contact Industry Canada for the program.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ic1.nsf/eng/h_00014.html

Edited by zalternate

After getting a few calls from one of Xplornet's "fixers", this is what I test out to now.

share-S8DW6E3PB&.png

It seems that they have a policy of shutting down segments of their tower transmitters in an effort to save a few bucks of power, or self implode, or something to that effect. Since I was the only customer who complained about their service, and since they apparently don't like BBB complaints, they had to submit, at least for now, and actually provide service.

I don't know how long this will last, but I will be sure to keep posting my results.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Alberta and have been a Xplornet customer since 2008. I filed a complaint with the Maritime BBB on May 18 and just received a response (May 28) today. The deadline for a response was May 29. I guess they don't work on Saturdays so they answered a day early! They did not address my issue of not attaining the KaZaam speed of 512kBps that I pay for. Basically all they stressed was that I constantly exceed the hourly download limits which I stated in my complaint that I knew I did! The solution that they offered was to upgrade my package which I am not willing to do until I receive the download speeds that I am paying for now.

I want to encourage EVERYONE that is not happy with Xplornet to do something about it don't just sit there and read all the posts about dissatisfied customers!! File a complaint with the BBB, send an email to the government, do whatever it takes. We need to start making some noise and if enough people join in we will be heard!

One thing I would stress though is to contact Xplornet's customer service with your issues and then file the complaints. I am one of those that gave up on their so called customer service and did not contact them recently which was pointed out in the response I got to my complaint! The important thing is that complaints are being made.

Take care,

De

snapback.png

I'm brand new here, and I would like to share what I have experience with. Yesterday, I posted a similar message under Xplornet Speeds, but perhaps it's more appropriate to post this as a new topic.

Xplornet is not one of the ISP's who voluntarily fall under the oversight of CRTC regulations, nor is it a member of the Better Business Bureau, but the Maritime BBB will process Xplornet complaints of behalf of those customers who have exhausted all other complaints procedures.

My fixed wireless is anything but the 3mb/600kb package I pay for.

I have been their customer since 2008 and have logged more hours with attempting to resolve my service issues than time I spend with my own mother!!!

Xplornet is NOT one of the member ISP's which would fall under the CRTC, so all of their "traffic shaping" they do, cannot be challenged through that route.

I have sent a complaint to the Maritime Better Business Bureau, as this is where their head office is located, although I live in eastern Ontario, and am waiting for a response.

Yesterday they sent the same 2 techs back who initially installed my service. They first found some problem with signal strength, but as soon as Xplornet's tower saw the tech's pc with the proprietary testing software, POOF... the speed was back to snuff. They did a "re-point", only to say that they actually did something, but an hour after they left with my signature on their work order, the speed had been throttled back to unacceptable limits.

Here is the link for filing a complaint with the Maritime Better Business Bureau, but be forewarned, their site and complaint information intake methods really suck, so be prepared for some copy and pasting.

Maritime BBB Complaint

Once the complaint is filed, I did receive a prompt response from the individual responsible at the BBB.

If anyone who is a dissatisfied Xplornet customer;

1) files a complaint with the Maritime BBB HERE

2) sends a copy of the complaint to their Federal Member of Parliament , you can look them up HERE

Your Federal MP may be reluctant, but at very least send them copies of all of your complaints against Xplornet and be sure to let them know many others are doing the same

3) try to coordinate any and all discussions of these complaints here in this forum

4) I'm not sure I'm up to the task, but we should discuss forming an oversight group with specific points of contact, unless testmy.org would like to rake on this responsibility

No one wants more Government, but maybe it's time for the Feds to ensure the ISP's are at least playing fair and delivering the promised services to their customers.

If we can begin a cohesive complaint body while remaining lawful and objective, we may actually begin to receive the internet services we were sold and are over paying for.

Cheers, and I'll hopefully be checking in to this forum daily (mon-fri)

nbtt

• 5 months later...

I live in Alberta and have been a Xplornet customer since 2008. I filed a complaint with the Maritime BBB on May 18 and just received a response (May 28) today. The deadline for a response was May 29. I guess they don't work on Saturdays so they answered a day early! They did not address my issue of not attaining the KaZaam speed of 512kBps that I pay for. Basically all they stressed was that I constantly exceed the hourly download limits which I stated in my complaint that I knew I did! The solution that they offered was to upgrade my package which I am not willing to do until I receive the download speeds that I am paying for now.

I want to encourage EVERYONE that is not happy with Xplornet to do something about it don't just sit there and read all the posts about dissatisfied customers!! File a complaint with the BBB, send an email to the government, do whatever it takes. We need to start making some noise and if enough people join in we will be heard!

One thing I would stress though is to contact Xplornet's customer service with your issues and then file the complaints. I am one of those that gave up on their so called customer service and did not contact them recently which was pointed out in the response I got to my complaint! The important thing is that complaints are being made.

Take care,

De

snapback.png

Ok, uhm...

I don't want to be crude but.

Telesat has been full for like 2 years now. In Alberta, we're not even allowed to sell the systems anymore unless you live up in the boonies like 3 hours north of Fort McMurray.

Down in the normal zones of average people and non-oilfield we are supposed to use Hughes KA.

I highly suggest testing out an aircard if you have decent cell service (and if you can hold back on usage), and buying out your satellite contract. It will be cheaper than paying for something and being frustrated with it.

The only risk you really have, is going over on an aircard, because the teleco companies don't treat their "rural highspeed" (yes Telus I'm looking at you) like a real solution to their inept abilities to provide REAL highspeed to their customers. They were told basically, to provide internet to the rural communities. They gave people aircards.

~$200 for and Aircard

~$20/mo. for each month on your contract with Xplornet (probably)

figure it out, and think of what your sanity is worth. Make a judgment, try it before hand if you can. Some of us dealers have demo aircards. Yes I sell both systems, Xplornet and Telus. And depending what people do, I recommend one of the services or none. Tell them to stick with Dial-Up until something better comes along. It's honestly better.

They may hate dialup, but they'd hate a service that charges them out the nose, or just doesn't work the way they want it to. Peace of mind goes a long way.

I am able to goto sleep at night, knowing that I didn't sell a person Xplornet or Telus because where they live/work, it would drive them insane with the same service, limited amounts of transfer, or the ability to not enjoy internet connectivity... as opposed to living life a certain way until something confirmed to be better rolls along.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I think there has to be a concerted effort for Xplornet users to reach the government to force them to do something about Xplornet.

Xplornet is in a position of monopoly outside urban areas and that is why they are getting away with these practices.

Why isnt the government not intervening? Perhaps we are not complaining to them.

• CA3LE locked this topic