Questions About Polarization And Acp

Hi,

I'm an IT guy at a Bible College in Mexico. I don't have much experience with satellite internet systems though.

We have a HN7000S modem and are pointed at SATMEX6.

I recently had to re-align the dish when it was moved. I can get the signal strength up to 80 solid, which is fine. However, after messing with the polarization for a couple hours, I can still only get the ACP test up to 68 and it jumps around a lot, failing about 2 times out of 10. It works like this, but there is not a good margin of error and the performance isn't what it could be.

Could someone explain the best method for getting the Satellite aligned correctly or point me to a good resource.. I think I'm just making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Hi, I am certain that there will be someone here soon that is very good that satellite adjustments.

Have a peruse around while you wait, and see if there is anything here to fit your bill of needs, there is a lot in the sat sections.

If you need guidance finding them, just ask :)

There should be a section where you enter your latitude and longitude (since you can not do zip code in Mexico).

I Googled and find something about a DSSa Tool(no link though) that you can use to enter the lat and long, if the modem does not have an interface for it.

Hopefully it has to do with the system not having proper coordinates that is giving the errors.

There should be a section where you enter your latitude and longitude (since you can not do zip code in Mexico).

I Googled and find something about a DSSa Tool(no link though) that you can use to enter the lat and long, if the modem does not have an interface for it.

Hopefully it has to do with the system not having proper coordinates that is giving the errors.

Thanks, I'll have to look for that. The modem interface allows me to put in the latitude and longitude and gives me a polarization of -33 as far as I can remember, but the scale must not be the same on my dish, because I've got it at about 4 degrees and it's working, though with performance issues and periodic failed ACP tests. I know for sure the latitude and longitude are both correct. I know the adjustments on the satellite are touchy and it's difficult to get it zeroed into the right spot. Does anyone have any tips on adjusting it besides trial and error?

I've been looking around and have found some useful info here. This is definitely one of the better forums for broadband information.

How about this link for calculations?

http://www.kusat.com/install/calculator.php

There is also a piece of software than can give you your skew angles. I found on another site. Hopefully it has specs for Mexico.

http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/

And online version.

http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinderonline/

Heres a google style map with various aiming angles.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

There is a marker on the map that you click and drag.

Edited by zalternate

• 3 weeks later...

You probably already know and if so I am sorry but make really sure the post where the dish is mounted whether it be a roof/wall mount or a pole mount is precisly plumb because that can throw all kinds of wrenches in setting the acp.