Hi There :)

Chikusai

Hi, I'm new. I'm a female gamer geek that knows just enough about my computer to follow instructions (I figured out how to chain port forward one night recently), occasionally break things in an epic fashion (which is why I now have an external HD for backups), and often fix them with enough research (hoping to fix this one too!). Oh, to have had these skills 20 years ago... Oh wait, I didn't need them back then.

I found this site while desperately web surfing for new ideas to fix my dial-up speed on a DSL connection problem. GRRRRR! :confused2: This looks like a good site and I'm looking forward figuring out what in the world is wrong and how to fix it so it stays fixed.

Now, back to forum surfing to find where to post my mysterious problem...

In case you're curious, my internet speed is slow. My provider is Qwest. They swear my connection speed is fine. I have a Linksys WRT54GL router, which appears to be working fine although I'm suspecting everything now. Last night my download speed was down to so slow pages wouldn't load. I unplugged the modem and router and turned off the PC. Checked all my connections from the wall to the PC. Everything was plugged in solidly. Checked wires for kinks, puppy chew spots, and cat vomit. Negative for all. Restarted the modem, waited. Restarted the router, waited. Happy flashing lights everywhere. Turned the PC back on. No download speed. Repaired connection. No download speed. Tested using IE inbase Firefox was broken. Same problem. Called Qwest. They pinged me and showed a strong signal. The tech seemed genuinely puzzled, so I believed him. Roommate suggested trying CMD ipconfig /flushdsn. Suddenly I had the fastest connection I've ever had!

Today it's happening all over again. the flushdsn trick didn't work this time. Checked and found Windows Firewall had turned itself back on at some point. Turned it off. Found this site. Tested speed. Ugh. Loaded CableNut using the adsl_fast_2k.ccs file. Tested speed again. Noticably better but still ugh. Here's the second test:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 403 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)

Download Speed is:: 49 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2010-05-13 04:24:00 GMT

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 20.9 sec

Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 62.248 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 14.13 % of your hosts average (qwest.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UW30Q69FV

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 [!]

Some trivia about the PC itself and its software ~

Router - Linksys WRT54GL

Ethernet Card - Linksys LNE100TXv4. Old, but has been rock solid.

OS - XP will all updates.

Firewall - Sygate and the router.

AV/Anti-Spyware - Avast and iObit 360, both updated.

Smart DeFrag 1.45 loaded and running in background.

Qwest firewall - not using it or any of their software.

Browser - Firefox 3.6.3, AdBlock Plus and NoScript loaded and updated.

Orz. I have no idea what to do next. I want my speed back. :angry4:

Please help! Thank you :D

• 3 months later...

Hi pronkey, welcome to the site.

And Chikusai... sorry if this topic got skipped over. The site was being converted over to new programming about the time that you joined..... many posts got over looked and some ever got lost during that process.

Site running perfectly now though.

Hi guys :) Thanks for the welcome and no problem^^ I still could use some help but I did manage to get my connection up to about 1/2 capacity. :2funny:

I'll be forum surfing here, especially on laggy days in my games...

Cheers, Chik

Start up a new topic, post up some of your scores. Maybe we can help you get the most out of that connection of yours ;)

Howdy,I have a couple of programs that really improved my download speed:

I am running WinXP sp3 3.5 processor and 4 gb of memory. Below is my test results.

I think what really helped me was TCP Optimizer: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php (free)

I also use CCleaner: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (does a great job cleaning temp files and registryZ)

And last, but not least: Auslogics Defrag: http://www.filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

Below are my test results I hope this helps you

Your connection is: 15655 Kbps or 15.7 Mbps

You downloaded at: 1911 kB/s or 1.9 MB/s

You are running: 273 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 0.54 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:leoinnj CompID:6272427475

Test Time:: 2010-09-09 04:00:56 GMT

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Test ID: G94FPBS0I (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Holy Cow!: You are running at 217% of your hosts average (comcast.net)

This was tested from a 25600 kB file and took 13.396 seconds to complete

I think what really helped me was TCP Optimizer: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php (free)

I haven't used the others but after a little research those links are approved for posting here.

I can vouch for SpeedGuide.net's TCP optimizer though. That program is especially good for pre-Windows 7 machines. Actually, I run it on every computer that I install older versions of Windows on.

I haven't emailed the owner of SpeedGuide for years but we've both been linking to each other since the beginning. :azn: - they have my respect.