Got A New 27in Imac

dlewis23

So I was in the need for some more screen real-estate and I was debating on just getting a seconds 24in monitor for my Mac Pro. The only problem is I would have to buy 2 new monitors at the same time because I would want them to match an it would be about $1000 for both and I really didn't want to have 2 monitors, I really need higher res. on one monitor.

I was looking at this 3.5K display http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=224-8284 but for that amount of money I can almost get a new computer with that display.

So I ended up just selling my mac pro and I bought a 27in Core i7 iMac.

Specs:

2.8 Ghz Core i7

4 GB Ram (4GB more on order.)

1 TB Hard Drive

ATI 4850 512MB

27in Display 2560 x 1440

I've only been using it for a few hours, but this thing is fucking fast and I can only imagine that it will get faster once I get the extra 4GB of ram I ordered. This thing is all SCREEN. I had to push it back on my desk because it is so damn big lol.... The 2560x1440 resolution makes a huge difference I can see so much more when working in photoshop, I can fit almost 3 full websites across the screen at one time. Photos are absolutely stunning on the IPS display, even better then the $1200 displays I have at work.

I will post some pictures later when I get everything else setup and clean up the mess I made around here.

Nice , I was thinking of getting the same thing just a bit ago , got caught up in other things. 2.4Hhz 4 Gb macbook pro here still runs as fast as it did the day I got it. Just like the old iBook g4 sitting there in target mode . So I know that thing must be amazing.

I know it's nice, and like you already said, once you get the ram where it should be , it's gonna be on fire !

Waiting for the pics.............

I jealous. I want one so bad. I have the money to get one right now but I think I may just get an SSD and some other upgrades for my mini. My display right now is 25.5" 1920x1200 -- it's pretty awesome but that 27" iMac display is amazing. Something so awesome that it literally CAN NOT be appreciated unless you see it with your own eyes... the resolution is unreal. I'm still debating getting one right away but I think I'll at least wait for a standard internal BluRay burner.

The resolution doesn't really sound like that big of a difference does it guys? Well let me put this in perspective...

Donnovan now has 3,686,400 pixels in front of his face

I have 2,034,000 pixels

That's about 1.7 MILLION more pixels... and I have a bad ass monitor and the iMac's screen size is only 1.5in larger than mine. Blows my mind. And if you see it with your own eyes you'll understand. No pictures you can see online or on TV could ever do it justice because chances are what you'd be viewing the information about the iMac on a display that isn't capable of showing it off properly. Apple has come a long way.

You lucky son of a...

Congrats dude, I want one YESTERDAY!

-D

I jealous. I want one so bad. I have the money to get one right now but I think I may just get an SSD and some other upgrades for my mini. My display right now is 25.5" 1920x1200 -- it's pretty awesome but that 27" iMac display is amazing. Something so awesome that it literally CAN NOT be appreciated unless you see it with your own eyes... the resolution is unreal. I'm still debating getting one right away but I think I'll at least wait for a standard internal BluRay burner.

The resolution doesn't really sound like that big of a difference does it guys? Well let me put this in perspective...

Donnovan now has 3,686,400 pixels in front of his face

I have 2,034,000 pixels

That's about 1.7 MILLION more pixels... and I have a bad ass monitor and the iMac's screen size is only 1.5in larger than mine. Blows my mind. And if you see it with your own eyes you'll understand. No pictures you can see online or on TV could ever do it justice because chances are what you'd be viewing the information about the iMac on a display that isn't capable of showing it off properly. Apple has come a long way.

You lucky son of a...

Congrats dude, I want one YESTERDAY!

-D

Its not just the amount of pixels on the screen. Its the Pixels Per Inch that make the real difference. Your display has only about 80,000 pixels per inch, this one has over 136,000 pixels per inch, it just makes everything look so much better...

Here are some pictures of where the magic happens, including the temps I'm getting, which are actually really cool for being only about an inch thick.

post-6771-127525457402_thumb.jpg

post-6771-127525457537_thumb.jpg

post-6771-127525457627_thumb.png

Sweet Computer. I ALMOST got a mac. In the end I really dont need it for work, Just to play. and of late I find myself kinda loosing interest in playing with computers. To many years messing with them. Kinda burnt out I guess.

I hear ya! As long as it will do surfohere and there I'm happy!;)

Its not just the amount of pixels on the screen. Its the Pixels Per Inch that make the real difference. Your display has only about 80,000 pixels per inch, this one has over 136,000 pixels per inch, it just makes everything look so much better...

Here are some pictures of where the magic happens, including the temps I'm getting, which are actually really cool for being only about an inch thick.

OMG!! That thing looks nasty!! When I bought my laptop over a month ago I would have bought one of those new mac books or whatever if I had the money.