Ubuntu Wireless

starship_troopers

hey guys, i have a question here.

i just finished a dual boot install on my toshiba satellite a505-s6985. its windows 7 and ubuntu 10.4 (newest version)

and my wireless picks up instantly on windows 7, but on ubuntu, it will pick up signal from all my neighbors wireless signals, but not my own. ive tried using the terminal to figure it out, but got nowhere as the info didnt seem to match anything i've seen troubleshooted. ive tried creating my own connection and it will say "connection established" but will have no signal bars and its basically like im not connected. considering if i even type in the wrong wpa security code to my wireless it'll still say connection established. im not sure how to get actual internet, later today im going to see if using an ethernet cord will give me a connection.

any ideas?

evil6.gifevil6.gif

hey guys, i have a question here.

i just finished a dual boot install on my toshiba satellite a505-s6985. its windows 7 and ubuntu 10.4 (newest version)

and my wireless picks up instantly on windows 7, but on ubuntu, it will pick up signal from all my neighbors wireless signals, but not my own. ive tried using the terminal to figure it out, but got nowhere as the info didnt seem to match anything i've seen troubleshooted. ive tried creating my own connection and it will say "connection established" but will have no signal bars and its basically like im not connected. considering if i even type in the wrong wpa security code to my wireless it'll still say connection established. im not sure how to get actual internet, later today im going to see if using an ethernet cord will give me a connection.

any ideas?

yeah

,. so whats wrong with windoz ? , I gave upon linux mint a while back , dualboot was a fu* k up for me , mayte I ain't the brightest pebble on the beach all I need was a hasle free O.S..

so for me Bill ain't my sworn enamy , sure If coufd waste the money .I would go apple mac ,

but I don't have the need or boasting rights

does this post make me an EX geek ????.....evil6.gif

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide

There have been a few posts where no association is established with router even on an open signal. At the point of writing this line, no answer has been seen to why this happens. A router reboot has been noted once to resolve but in other situations has caused heartache as network settings need to be set up again. Booting with acpi=off or noapci should be tried.

found out what it was. for some reason every time i disabled a secondary wireless device (not sure what it was exactly, but i know my laptop only has one) it would re activate it...so i rebooted before the thing could reactivate, then it found my router, and wouldnt connect, so i ended up restoring my router to factory settings and just setting it up again. it was a huge headache but so far so good.

thanks guys for the help.

I just put my wireless stick on my Ubuntu 10.4 box and my router is at WEP 128bit/passphrase(for the kids DS,otherwise it would be set to better encryption, but my machines are software firewalled anyways) and Ubuntu using wep 128bit encryption with passphrase did not work, but Ubuntu using wep 128bit encryption worked. I had already entered routers passphrase for the security.

But I would also have to do something to get the firewall working with firestarter with wireless. But the Ubuntu machine is wired anyways.

Edited by zalternate