Help, Very Slow Internet Speed

chuck22

Hi, i'm from mexico, when i download something (usually games) the speed is about 100 kb/s, but from some days ago my speed has reduced to 10 or 20 kb/s and i don't know why. I've just made the download speed test and this is what i got:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 153 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2010-07-07 03:06:23 GMT

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 53.89 sec

Tested from a 512 kB file and took 27.494 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 12.51 % of your hosts average (com.mx)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZX2LH08KM

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.99 Safari/533.4 [!]

my ISP is Telmex and it's ADSL 1 Mb, i don't know if it can be a virus or something like that because i have the windows live one care but the trial version has expired so i don't really have protection

thanks tommie and zalternate right now i'm doing an online scan because i don't have antivirus and until now the online scan have found 18 infected files, and i'm thinking in instaling mcafee or kaspersky which one do you recommend??

thanks tommie and zalternate right now i'm doing an online scan because i don't have antivirus and until now the online scan have found 18 infected files, and i'm thinking in instaling mcafee or kaspersky which one do you recommend??

Avast is free and a very good anti-virus. And no bloat to slow your system down.

When you download, it will give you a free key that you renew once a year for free. It gets emailed to you.

Edit: and you can change the "get new definitions" to once a day instead of about 4 times a day.

Also turn off the voice. It does scare people when they hit an infected site.

And even if you are behind a router, having a 'software' firewall can help to stop nasties from getting out if any anti-virus program misses something. It also stops Windows junk from calling home.

Free Zonealarm

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/free-upgrade-security-suite-zonealarm-firewall.htm

Download link

http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm-Free-Firewall/3000-10435_4-10039884.html?part=dl-69168&subj=dl&tag=button

Edited by zalternate

I am with zalternate on Avast. I used Norton (huge mistake). Then used AVG for several years. One day I went ahead and switched to Avast, been smiling ever since. And like Zalternate said, free. If you insist on getting rid of some money though, I'd go for the Kaspersky. best paid Anti virus out there. But Avast will do the job fine really. Its your money. Edited by tommie gorman

I am with zalternate on Avast. I used Norton (huge mistake). Then used AVG for several years. One day I went ahead and switched to Avast, been smiling ever since. And like Zalternate said, free. If you insist on getting rid of some money though, I'd go for the Kaspersky. best paid Anti virus out there. But Avast will do the job fine really. Its your money.

Thanks for answering, yesterday i downloaded the kaspersky trial version and right now i'm downloading a game and my download speed has increased to 64 kb/s,(the normal is 100 kb/s) but as zalternate said my system slowed down and it has detected 2 troyans until now so, i think i'm gonna try avast, and Do you think i should install avast and Malwarebytes or only avast?, and Do think i should continue with the online scan or only with avast??

Thanks for answering, yesterday i downloaded the kaspersky trial version and right now i'm downloading a game and my download speed has increased to 64 kb/s,(the normal is 100 kb/s) but as zalternate said my system slowed down and it has detected 2 troyans until now so, i think i'm gonna try avast, and Do you think i should install avast and Malwarebytes or only avast?, and Do think i should continue with the online scan or only with avast??

MalWareBytes 'free version' does not run unless you start it, so no conflicts with the anti-virus program. And also you have to manually update the free version. But it still has the same system scanning as the paid version. so you install it and then just leave it sit there until you do a weekly or monthly scan. Just update it first. It's a quick way to check for obvious bugs.

Install Avast. And only run one Anti-virus on the computer. Uninstall kaspersky via it's uninstall program.

Online scans are okay provided you have the bandwidth needed for some of them. But online scanning is generally done when someone thinks they are infected already.

But generally Avast should keep your system good. You can manually or automated scan your computer with Avast and it also will scan incoming files or when they launch, so you have much better protection than an online scan.

After you get things cleaned up, you could also try the ZoneAlarm firewall, if you are still having a speed issue.

Edited by zalternate

MalWareBytes 'free version' does not run unless you start it, so no conflicts with the anti-virus program. And also you have to manually update the free version. But it still has the same system scanning as the paid version. so you install it and then just leave it sit there until you do a weekly or monthly scan. Just update it first. It's a quick way to check for obvious bugs.

Install Avast. And only run one Anti-virus on the computer. Uninstall kaspersky via it's uninstall program.

Online scans are okay provided you have the bandwidth needed for some of them. But online scanning is generally done when someone thinks they are infected already.

But generally Avast should keep your system good. You can manually or automated scan your computer with Avast and it also will scan incoming files or when they launch, so you have much better protection than an online scan.

After you get things cleaned up, you could also try the ZoneAlarm firewall, if you are still having a speed issue.

thanks for your answer, i only have one question, why does the online scan detect virus that kaspersky doesn't?, i'm doing the panda active scan 2.0 and has detected 18 virus

thanks for your answer, i only have one question, why does the online scan detect virus that kaspersky doesn't?, i'm doing the panda active scan 2.0 and has detected 18 virus

The virus scanners all have slightly different definitions. And depending on how 'new' a virus is and if the anti-virus company has created a definition to identify it.

A installed anti-virus can update every day(or hour) to the latest definitions.

Kaspersky's online scanner updates definitions every hour. http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/languages/english/check.html?n=1278638804597

But sometimes you can have a virus that hides in a file folder and after you remove the infection, the virus will reinstall itself, so you are infected again without a installed anti-virus running to put a stop to it. And those take a bit more work to clean out.

Some virus will modify themselves on the machine, so the scanner will not see them, until the anti-virus data base is updated again. So thats why a software firewall is nice. Even though some infections will tag along or masquerade with another 'safe 'program to try and by-pass the firewall.

And when you find a virus, it is safer to put them into the 'virus chest', instead of instant delete, just in case it was a safe file that belongs to the operating system.

Sounds like you definately need to scan in safe mode with networking.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Once in there try scanning there, you should pull more of the baddies out. When your done don't forget to defrag and diskclean after.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i'm from mexico, when i download something (usually games) the speed is about 100 kb/s, but from some days ago my speed has reduced to 10 or 20 kb/s and i don't know why. I've just made the download speed test and this is what i got:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 153 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2010-07-07 03:06:23 GMT

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 53.89 sec

Tested from a 512 kB file and took 27.494 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 12.51 % of your hosts average (com.mx)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZX2LH08KM

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.99 Safari/533.4 [!]

my ISP is Telmex and it's ADSL 1 Mb, i don't know if it can be a virus or something like that because i have the windows live one care but the trial version has expired so i don't really have protection

I've used ESET NOD32 Antivirus for many years.It isn't bloated (resource hog) or paranoid,as some of the before mentioned.Yet it is very effective.