Upgrading Fios

Lane

I have had Verizon FIOS as my ISP for quite some time now.

The speeds i would peak on were about 1.8Mbps DL and 250 Kbps UL.

When I called FIOS today to see about upgrading the bandwidth package is was surprised that I was running at 5/2. This had been moved to 15/5 quite some time ago, and actually cost LESS than what i was paying for 5/2. I ended up getting the 35/35 package at only $20.00 more a month. Personally, 20 bucks to go from 7Mbps of overall bandwidth to 70Mbps...

Was an offer I couldn't refuse :smitten:

share2-59WRKUP4S&.png share2-TSC3LYM8X&.png

Damn dude... nice.

Although, I heard from a Qwest technician that they will be releasing 100/60 in select areas in October. ... too bad I move in October (I happen to be in one of those select areas right now), I may just have to plan my next move based on where the fastest internet is. I think I'm too addicted to 40/20... can't imagine 100/60.

• 10 months later...

Damn dude... nice.

Although, I heard from a Qwest technician that they will be releasing 100/60 in select areas in October. ... too bad I move in October (I happen to be in one of those select areas right now), I may just have to plan my next move based on where the fastest internet is. I think I'm too addicted to 40/20... can't imagine 100/60.

Where are these select areas? I'm a Qwest Broadband Tech (new tech) and haven't heard about 100/60 yet. I'm assuming close to Denver or in Utah? I was thinking the same thing, Qwest VDSL availability will certainly have a large factor in my first home purchase, lol.

Where are these select areas? I'm a Qwest Broadband Tech (new tech) and haven't heard about 100/60 yet. I'm assuming close to Denver or in Utah? I was thinking the same thing, Qwest VDSL availability will certainly have a large factor in my first home purchase, lol.

The tech who told me that was obviously a liar because October came and I never saw it... and now Qwest was bought out by CentryLink. He told me that the Phoenix and Denver markets were going to have it.

Maybe it's still coming, but I no longer have Qwest so I haven't been keeping up with their news.

I'm switching from Cox 15/5 internet and television to FiOS 25/25 internet and their Extreme HD FiOS television this Friday. I can't wait. I'm so tired of cable TV. I mainly switched to get away from cox's cable TV service, not necessarily their internet, but decided it would simpler and cheaper to get their whole package deal, not to mention the increase in speed and the addition of DVR for the same price. I think more ISPs need to switch to FiOS's model of giving symmetrical download/upload speeds. I almost opted for DirecTv satellite, but FiOS seems to be the future, and I am hoping FiOS won't have the same interruptions from bad weather that satellite has. Can anyone attest to that?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been on FiOS for a while and overall I'm satisfied. I ran into an unexpected problem though. My wireless G can't keep up with FiOS! :blink: I'm only getting about 19/19 on wireless but I can get 30/30 wired even though I am only signed up for 25/25. After digging around the internet, I'm hearing that wireless g usually starts to bottleneck around 22mb.

I'm not sure what to do about this. My house doesn't have any type of easy way to get an ethernet cable or jack up to my room. Could I use an old cable internet modem as a dumb hub and plug in a coaxial cable to it in order to basically get an ethernet port in my room?

Another question, if I installed a wireless n router, would my wireless g laptop benefit at all or would I also have to buy a wireless n usb adapter?

Well I've been on FiOS for a while and overall I'm satisfied. I ran into an unexpected problem though. My wireless G can't keep up with FiOS! :blink: I'm only getting about 19/19 on wireless but I can get 30/30 wired even though I am only signed up for 25/25. After digging around the internet, I'm hearing that wireless g usually starts to bottleneck around 22mb.

I'm not sure what to do about this. My house doesn't have any type of easy way to get an ethernet cable or jack up to my room. Could I use an old cable internet modem as a dumb hub and plug in a coaxial cable to it in order to basically get an ethernet port in my room?

Another question, if I installed a wireless n router, would my wireless g laptop benefit at all or would I also have to buy a wireless n usb adapter?

802.11n router is not going to help your laptop get better speeds if its still G. For a laptop I think I would spend the extra time to actually upgrade the internal miniPCI wireless card. This is not very difficult on dells and I don't really like dongle and stuff for my laptop. I suppose if its docked then its not a big deal.

Even 802.11n isn't really good for me since i have the 150/75 service. Personally I just use ethernet for pretty much everything. I spent a couple hundred when I bought my house to have ethernet ran (as I didn't want to do it myself).